HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

beebiz...its a dangerous world out there for hornets

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: beebiz...its a dangerous world out there for hornets   Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:05 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
beebiz

Registration date : 2010-09-12

PostSubject: Re: beebiz...its a dangerous world out there for hornets   Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:14 am

Bub, I sincerely apologize to you!! I don't know how in this world I missed this post... has my name on it and everything!!! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Please forgive me!!!

I love that video!! I had seen it as part of a NatGeo special on TV. But, I'd never seen it on the net. Thank you so much for posting it!!

That is just one more piece of evidence to add to a very long list of evidence that honeybees "talk" to each other!! They "talk" to each other by doing a dance which includes shaking their tail. It is quite aptly referred to as "the dance of the honeybee!" And, it is such a complex "language" that a single girl (the workers which make up the vast majority of the hive) can enter her hive and convey to her sisters exactly what she has found (water, pollen, nectar), it's precise location, and give pinpoint accurate directions to the item... including the precise distance from the hive!! Honeybees are truly one of the most amazing creatures on the face of the earth... IMHO!!

But, there was something the video did not show. Being that honeybees are very hygienic and fanatical housekeepers, very soon after they killed the intruding hornet, they would have removed its carcass from the hive and dumped it out the front door... literally!!! And, when the intruder is much larger and heavier that a single honeybee is, two or more will work in unison to move the carcass. I personally witnessed such a thing on a few occasions when I had my hives! As I said before, they are amazing!!

Some interesting facts about honeybees...

The only time of the year when drones (male honeybees) are found inside the hive is during the spring of the year. The girls raise them for the soul purpose of breeding a new queen(s). Stud service is the one and only job the drone has in a beehive. Sounds great, right... eat, screw, eat, screw... no work, right? But, wait... once the new queen(s) has been bred, the girls will either force the drones to leave the hive to starve to death or they will kill them!!!

A queen is born with all of the eggs she will have available to lay in her life. And, she will only mate one time in her lifetime. When ready, she will exit the hive, climb high in the air to meet the waiting drones, and passionately procreate all day long!! She will then return to the hive and assume her role as queen of the hive and begin laying eggs like crazy!! She will store the sperm that the drones injected in her and will meter it out as needed to fertilize the eggs that she lays!

Not all eggs that the queen lays gets fertilized! The only eggs that get fertilized are the ones that become females. The drones come from eggs that are not fertilized!

A queen is derived from the workers feeding something called Royal Jelly to a female as she is in the developmental stage. The workers begin feeding it to them right after they hatch from their egg. The feeding of the Royal Jelly is the only thing that is done to influence whether a female egg becomes a queen or a worker.

In one direction, a honeybee will fly up to five miles away from the hive in search of or to collect pollen, water, or nectar!

In flight, a honeybee flaps her four wings 200 times per second or 12,000 times per minute!! And, she can attain speeds of up to 15 miles per hour!!

In her roughly 6 weeks of life on this earth, a honeybee will fly the equivalent of twice the circumference of the earth and will only produce 1/10 of a teaspoon of honey!!

A worker honeybee is so dedicated to her hive that if she lands in a place, takes on a load of water, pollen, or nectar, and her wings are so worn out that she can not take flight with her load, she will refuse to drop any part of her load! Instead, she will remain right where she is, furiously flapping her wings in an attempt to take flight, and will eventually starve to death!! Now, that's dedication!!!

And, that is just a few of the interesting things about the tiny, lowly, simple honeybee!!!

Robert
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: beebiz...its a dangerous world out there for hornets   Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:37 am

Good for him!
I hate hornets! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile

beebiz...its a dangerous world out there for hornets
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1