HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

I am glad that we won the war of independence

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: I am glad that we won the war of independence   Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:18 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: I am glad that we won the war of independence   Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:37 pm

Those crazy Brits. (There aren't any lurking hereabouts are there)
Come to think of it, I don't recall any Brits at all on this forum, at least since I've been hanging about.
Back to top Go down
bruins

Registration date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: I am glad that we won the war of independence   Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:09 am

jeopordy would be so much cooler if there were moving clouds behind the contestants.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: I am glad that we won the war of independence   Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:32 am

It makes sense to me but then again my ancesters were the Empire Loyalists who moved north after the war Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beaupipe

Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: I am glad that we won the war of independence   Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:49 pm

I'm glad we Canucks won the war of 1812.

A Say What? Classic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: I am glad that we won the war of independence   Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:27 pm

beaupipe wrote:

A Say What? Classic

Years ago, I was driving our family to Nova Scotia and we entered the USA at Cornwall, Ontario into New York state heading towards Maine. It was July 4th. Who the heck has parades in every community, large or small, on July 4th?

At one parade that held us up, our family got out to watch. Our kids were impressed by all the army and war vehicles. I said to my young kids
"Oh well, whipped their ass in 1812."

Well I thought those standing next to me were going to "tar and feather" me. Shocked

The US July 4th parades remind me of pictures we used to see in Moscow years ago.

Time for the USA to get with the 21st century and have big "Gay Pride Parade"...
Laughing Laughing Laughing

I have a feeling this thread is heading for the Rubber Room Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: I am glad that we won the war of independence   Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:30 pm

beaupipe wrote:

A Say What? Classic

Wasn't she once President... hmm... no that was George W... Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: I am glad that we won the war of independence   Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:56 am

beaupipe wrote:
scratch
What kind of history are they teaching you boys up there, if nothing else it wound up a draw on the northern border.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_1812
from the article:
...the British Empire adopted a defensive strategy, repelling multiple American invasions of the provinces of Upper and Lower Canada. However, the Americans won control of Lake Erie in 1813, seized parts of western Ontario, and destroyed the power of Britain's Indian allies both in Canada and in the Southwest. ....
... At the end of the war, both sides occupied parts of the other's territory, but these areas were restored by the Treaty of Ghent.

Kicked our asses indeed. Very Happy

Last edited by EJinVA on Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling correction)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I am glad that we won the war of independence   Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:05 pm

Slow Puffs wrote:
beaupipe wrote:

A Say What? Classic

Wasn't she once President... hmm... no that was George W... Razz

The next video shows one that could be President:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nokTjEdaUGg&NR=1&feature=fvwp
So you Canuks better watch out cause she was "The Executive of" the State which shares a land boudary with you boys.
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: I am glad that we won the war of independence   Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:43 pm

The war of 1812?,,,I guess from the Canadian standpoint it was the war of southern aggression,,,,, Very Happy

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beaupipe

Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: I am glad that we won the war of independence   Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:10 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Plan_Red

At least this little plan was never put into effect. Yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: I am glad that we won the war of independence   Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:48 pm

Quote :
Canadian military officer Lieutenant Colonel James "Buster" Sutherland Brown developed an earlier counterpart to War Plan Red called Defence Scheme No. 1 on April 12, 1921. Maintaining that the best defense was a good offense, "Buster" Brown planned for rapid deployment of flying columns to occupy Seattle, Great Falls, Minneapolis, and Albany. With no hope of holding these objectives, the idea was to divert American troops to the flanks and away from Canada, hopefully long enough for Imperial allies to arrive with reinforcements.

Shocked Laughing

I would have worked Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: I am glad that we won the war of independence   Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:42 pm

mark wrote:
The war of 1812?,,,I guess from the Canadian standpoint it was the war of southern aggression,,,,, Very Happy
Good one cheers
Back to top Go down

I am glad that we won the war of independence
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1