HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Union Square

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Matthew

Registration date : 2010-04-26

PostSubject: Union Square   Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Just popped a tin of the Dark Lord's "Union Square," with a year of age on it. I am astonished by how much the tin smells of orange juice.

This is my first experience with this blend. How do you guys handle these beautiful flakes? Rub out? Fold and stuff? What works best?

Yum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Falconer

Registration date : 2010-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Union Square   Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:19 pm

Hey Mathew has anyone told you that you look a lot like me when I was younger? lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muddler

Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Union Square   Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:39 pm

Union Square is a superb tobacco. I like to dry it a bit, then just fold & stuff. It ages magnificently.

You sure you're not related to Valky?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokntaz

Registration date : 2010-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Union Square   Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:37 pm

I just opened my first tin last night and I did notice a citrus smell to it. It was also my first time with this blend so I tried it with a partial rub. Next bowl I'll try the fold method and longer drying time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Union Square   Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Matthew - Falconer twins separated at birth? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Matthew

PostSubject: Re: Union Square   Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:29 pm

Falconer wrote:
Hey Mathew has anyone told you that you look a lot like me when I was younger? lol!

Heh. I could only hope to look that good with a pipe. My avatar is a picture of what I wish I looked like when I smoke my pipe . . .

I'm nowhere near as sexy as Falconer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Falconer

Registration date : 2010-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Union Square   Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:09 pm

Matthew wrote:
Falconer wrote:

Heh. I could only hope to look that good with a pipe. My avatar is a picture of what I wish I looked like when I smoke my pipe . . .

I'm nowhere near as sexy as Falconer.

It's a good Avatar. Post often I enjoy seeing the younger me now and then.

Oh and thanks for being so honest about the sexy thing. Wink lol! Suspect

I passed Up Union Square just the other day. I'll have to try it soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beaupipe

Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Union Square   Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:33 pm

Union Square is tasty stuff. I usually rub it out, as I do with most of the low-pressure C&D flakes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Matthew

PostSubject: Re: Union Square   Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:49 pm

Those of you that fold and stuff: do you fold only one flake? Or do you use more? I tried to fold and stuff the other night, and it was fine, but seemed like there wasn't nearly enough in the pipe with only one flake, so I dumped and rubbed. My VA/Va blend pipe has a pretty deep bowl.

As far as the tobac? Very, very tasty and the citrusy tang that I smelled upon tin opening was totally present in the smoke, which was interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
glpease
Dark Lord

Registration date : 2007-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Union Square   Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:50 pm

Matthew wrote:
Just popped a tin of the Dark Lord's "Union Square," with a year of age on it. I am astonished by how much the tin smells of orange juice.

This is my first experience with this blend. How do you guys handle these beautiful flakes? Rub out? Fold and stuff? What works best?

Yum.

It's amazing what pure tobacco can smell like, sometimes. The citrus notes are all natural. There are no sugars, casings or flavourings added to Union Square at all. It all comes from the pressing and fermentation.

I usually rub it out, myself, but I know a lot of folks like the denser smoke of a folded flake, and I do the same thing sometimes, if I've got the time for a LONG smoke. Play with it! There's no single right way, and different bowl geometries may call for different preparations.

Enjoy!
-glp
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.glpease.com
Matthew

PostSubject: Re: Union Square   Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:36 pm

glpease wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Yum.

It's amazing what pure tobacco can smell like, sometimes. The citrus notes are all natural. There are no sugars, casings or flavourings added to Union Square at all. It all comes from the pressing and fermentation.

I usually rub it out, myself, but I know a lot of folks like the denser smoke of a folded flake, and I do the same thing sometimes, if I've got the time for a LONG smoke. Play with it! There's no single right way, and different bowl geometries may call for different preparations.

Enjoy!
-glp

Ah, advice from the master is a glorious thing.

Actually, the citrus smells were/are intoxicating. And this tobacco is one that actually carries the tin note into the smoke, which I love, and which also proves to me that the smells are from natural sources.

I'm such a giant fan of your English blends, I hope for more VA offerings after the Old London series is complete!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fishnrust

Registration date : 2010-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Union Square   Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:00 pm

I have several tins of Chelsea Morning aging in the back of the cellar. I'm going to have to add Union Square. I hear nothing but great things about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Union Square   Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:28 am

Falconer wrote:

scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch
Valky who jacked who's avatar here???????? lol! lol! lol!

Union Square is really good VA, it has my vote!!!
Back to top Go down
bruins

Registration date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Union Square   Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:19 am

Piet Binsbergen wrote:
Falconer wrote:

ditto that, piet. i'm totally confused. besides, only my mom calls me matthew. who's matthew? scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Union Square   Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:21 am

bruins wrote:
Piet Binsbergen wrote:
Falconer wrote:

ditto that, piet. i'm totally confused. besides, only my mom calls me matthew. who's matthew? scratch

Yea bud, double confusion..................................
Back to top Go down
Matthew

PostSubject: Re: Union Square   Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:23 pm

Sigh. Another instance of my strange and constant ability to spread confusion and chaos wherever I go....

Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Union Square   Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:33 am

Matthew wrote:
Sigh. Another instance of my strange and constant ability to spread confusion and chaos wherever I go....

Suspect
You are forgiven bro!!
Back to top Go down
Smokin' Blues

Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Union Square   Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:15 am

Falconer wrote:

That is quite a resemblance Valky.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruins

PostSubject: Re: Union Square   Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:24 am

Matthew wrote:

Suspect

did you introduce yourself in the welcome wagon? somehow i missed it. welcome! (sorry to give you a hard time...it's just that you used to be somebody else. scratch we'll figure it out.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Matthew

PostSubject: Re: Union Square   Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:48 am

Quote :
did you introduce yourself in the welcome wagon? somehow i missed it. welcome! (sorry to give you a hard time...it's just that you used to be somebody else. scratch we'll figure it out.)

I did, way back in April. But I'm certainly not as active as most of you veterans around here ...

Avatar changed to alleviate further confusion. Can't change username... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruins

PostSubject: Re: Union Square   Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:04 am

cool. i've only been here through the summer, so i probably did miss it. you certainly like the gl pease baccy's. me too. chelsea morning and westminster and union square. have some others i haven't gotten to yet. hey, i almost bought a Savinelli Horoscope. really nice looking pipes!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Matthew

PostSubject: Re: Union Square   Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:49 pm

I do really love GLPlease's blends. Pease's blends transformed me from a pipe dilletante into a full fledged pipe smoker.

The Pease label has given me the confidence to experiment, and try things I haven't tried before. For instance, I had tried a lot of Latakia blends, but none of them took. Until Blackpoint. That one taught me how to love Latakia, and started my eventual turn from exclusively pure VA's, and transformed me into a smoker of English blends. Chelsea Morning was my first regular English blend, and I eventually found perfection in Maltese Falcon, which simply tastes like no other tobacco I have ever smoked. My favorite by far. I'd take it over Penzance any day of the week.

The only other blender I have had similiar experience with is McClelland. But for me, McClelland is all about dark stoved VA's and Syrian Latakia.

Esoterica is also good, but I find the quality to be relatively uneven. Same with Gawith and Hoggarth. Plus, they are all so damned hard to get these days . . . another plus of being a dedicated Pease smoker!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruins

PostSubject: Re: Union Square   Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:56 pm

Matthew wrote:
I do really love GLPlease's blends. Pease's blends transformed me from a pipe dilletante into a full fledged pipe smoker.

The Pease label has given me the confidence to experiment, and try things I haven't tried before. For instance, I had tried a lot of Latakia blends, but none of them took. Until Blackpoint. That one taught me how to love Latakia, and started my eventual turn from exclusively pure VA's, and transformed me into a smoker of English blends. Chelsea Morning was my first regular English blend, and I eventually found perfection in Maltese Falcon, which simply tastes like no other tobacco I have ever smoked. My favorite by far. I'd take it over Penzance any day of the week.

The only other blender I have had similiar experience with is McClelland. But for me, McClelland is all about dark stoved VA's and Syrian Latakia.

Esoterica is also good, but I find the quality to be relatively uneven. Same with Gawith and Hoggarth. Plus, they are all so damned hard to get these days . . . another plus of being a dedicated Pease smoker!

i was just recently gifted a healthy sample of maltese falcon. yeah, i loved it. was a nice cross between westminster and mcclelland's frog morton (a very nice mild english, if you haven't had it.) i'll have to smoke blackpoint. actually, i have a whole tin sitting on my shelf i haven't even tried. my brother gave it to me because he didn't like it (he's not big on latakia). i'll give it a go.

matthew, you sound very experienced in the pipe smoking realm. you need to post more, man!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Matthew

PostSubject: Re: Union Square   Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:01 pm

bruins wrote:
hey, i almost bought a Savinelli Horoscope. really nice looking pipes!

My Horoscope cost me $70 new, and it has become one of favorite pipes. I think I enjoy smoking it even more than my Radice Clear (which was an extremely generous gift from a pipe smoking friend. Radice's are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of my personal price range . . .)

Horoscope's are great pipes for the price!!!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Matthew

PostSubject: Re: Union Square   Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:10 pm

bruins wrote:

matthew, you sound very experienced in the pipe smoking realm. you need to post more, man!!!

Oh, wow, thanks.

I'm actually only a young sprig of 37, and have only been smoking a pipe for just over a year. Embarassed But I took to it quite strongly, and it has afforded me an enormous amount of pleasure as a full-fledged hobby ... so much to try, so much artistry and history tied up in the art of pipe smoking ... so much more than just getting the N fix. I do love it, but geez, I still have a lot to learn!

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Union Square
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next