HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

A few weeks early this year...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: A few weeks early this year...   Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:12 pm

Was up in Brimly, rode out to Whitfish Point..... The Whitefish Bay..
29 men.. the Coast Guard selling the familys down the river to protect Oglebay-Norton..
The helpless men on the Anderson...

Probably the second most famous ship wreck in modern history, sending the men to a cold watery grave, a grave occupied by tens upon tens of thousands of sailors.. The Gitchigoomie indeed..

RIP Men.. RIP...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: A few weeks early this year...   Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:02 pm

I transferred from Syracuse to the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee in the spring of 1975 specifically to study under Professor Harold Mayor, probably the most recognized and respected transportation geographer in the world at that time. He became my adviser and mentor through my PhD, and I took every graduate level transportation course he taught, four all toll, including one titled: Great Lakes Shipping and the st. Lawrence Seaway. That class began just two months after the Fitz went down and we discussed it frequently in class. The following summer, after the release of the first preliminary report by the Coast Guard,he was asked to be one of the lead researchers in what became a multi-year analysis of what happened. He never felt that any speck of information or data that applied to the "case" was ignored, manipulated, or hidden by any agency or company. In discussions with him years later, he was convinced it was one (or a combination) of three factors, a mis-closed hatch that allowed water to enter slowly throughout the storm, or it might have been a bottoming out on a reef that caused structural weakness mid-ship leading to the breakup, or a rogue wave raising the stern to high that it slipped below (with all the extra water weighing down the bow) and the breakup occurred from steep angle bow hitting the bottom.

Bottom line, according to his several years of research, was that probably human error (leaking hatch) led to a increasingly lower riding ship (which in that huge storm with waves not only crashing over the shop, but some breaking on the pilot house, almost 50 feet above,might have been unnoticed) and either it bottomed out earlier and split apart later, or a large wave at a bad angle lifted it to an angle where it slips down, and being full of iron ore and water, she wasn't coming back up. He played the radio communication from the ship that was in the same shipping lane right behind the Fitz (several miles, but "close" by navigation standards). He said it was on the radar on one rotation and completely gone the next time the rotation came around.

Still, a haunting event, and I always pour a shot of whiskey into The Lake when ever I'm paddling down Pictured Rocks or on Isle Royal.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: A few weeks early this year...   Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:25 pm

The Anderson..

Cant remember her full name or the Capt's name at the moment... I imagine Google would do the trick for anyone inclined.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: A few weeks early this year...   Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:56 pm

Not to jack your thread, PeeBee, but on a related note, one of the greatest songs ever written, IMHO, was "The Mary Ellen Carter" by Stan Rogers. I heard a tape of Gordon Bok doing it back in 1970 or so and was blown the %#$@ away by it. Still am. With no "promotion" to speak of, it's been THE bar anthem in Nova Scotia since Stan was around to sing it. THAT kind of authentic, grass-roots popularity tells you it hits home. A seagoing song that transcends its context and keeps on going. To the stars.

Song itself starts around 1:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT-aEcPgkuA

What a Face
Back to top Go down
happypipester

Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: A few weeks early this year...   Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:31 pm

Whenever I hear that song, I think of "The Sinking of the Reuben James" (Woody Guthrie).

RIP
Back to top Go down
View user profile

A few weeks early this year...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1