HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Greetings from Michigan!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fulton

Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Greetings from Michigan!   Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:15 pm

Brothers,

I am a new pipe enthusiast from Ann Arbor, Michigan. I have been frequenting the forums for almost two months (since I caught the pipe bug) and finally felt it was the right time to become a more active part of the community. I purchased my first pipe (a factory-second bent billiard) on a whim after reading a great post about pipes at theartofmanliness.com blog. I LOVED IT! I gave myself a month to try a few different blends and become more adept at the smoking process before furthering my investment. Now (4 pipes later) I have a severe case of PAD. I recently became a member of the NASPC and am still trying to find time to enjoy all of the literature I was sent. When I am able to snap some pics, I will introduce you to my tools of briar. I look forward to interacting with all of you at some point.

Cheers from Ann Arbor

- Fulton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beebiz

Registration date : 2010-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Michigan!   Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:38 pm

A big ole southern howdy and welcome to the BoB, my northern brother!!! I hope your stay is an enjoyable one! I know it will be as we have lots and lots of very good fellows around here. They'll treat you so many good ways you'll have to like some of them!!! Wink

Please do post pics of your pipes. Most all of us around here are pic whores!!! Laughing

Stick around and post often!! Wink I look forward to seeing you around the boards! Very Happy

Robert
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Michigan!   Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:00 pm

Welcome aboard, Fulton!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Michigan!   Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:50 pm

Welcome!

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
Muddler

Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Michigan!   Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:15 pm

Welcome to BoB, Fulton!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruins

Registration date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Michigan!   Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:15 pm

hey fulton! you joined the right briar forum. welcome. post often. we're partial to pictures.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Falconer

Registration date : 2010-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Michigan!   Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:44 pm

Big Howdy Fulton. Hope you stick around and get to know us. Okay so I gotta ask about the avatar because I know Beebiz is chomping at the bit of his churchwarden. Is there some significance to it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruins

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Michigan!   Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:46 pm

Falconer wrote:
Big Howdy Fulton. Hope you stick around and get to know us. Okay so I gotta ask about the avatar because I know Beebiz is chomping at the bit of his churchwarden. Is there some significance to it?

wondered that myself.

(p.s. i'm a post whore.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beebiz

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Michigan!   Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Falconer wrote:
Okay so I gotta ask about the avatar because I know Beebiz is chomping at the bit of his churchwarden. Is there some significance to it?
I too wondered that. But, I couldn't get my green with envy fingers to type the question!!! Shocked Shocked
lol! lol! lol! lol!

Robert
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nitschke066

Registration date : 2010-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Michigan!   Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:53 am

Welcome to the Brotherhood, Fulton!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buddy Springman

Registration date : 2008-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Michigan!   Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:30 am

Welcome from St. Joe, MI. Come back often!

Buddy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Traderbob

Registration date : 2010-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Michigan!   Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:28 am

Welcome to the group! PAD and TAD present quickly after getting that first pipe. Don't dismiss a tobacco if you fire up a new blend and don't like it right away. I have been suprised how often I come back to one after a couple of weeks and find I like it better. For years I only smoked MB London Blend -then joined a couple of pipe forums and now I have about 10 blends open!

I have been traveling to Ann Arbor for the last couple of years installing some equipment at the Sheriff's dept - great place, but not to good on local pipe shops.

Bob
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beebiz

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Michigan!   Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:54 pm

Traderbob wrote:
Don't dismiss a tobacco if you fire up a new blend and don't like it right away.
That is some exquisite, top shelf, unadulterated advise, sir!!!!! Wink Wink Wink

The only thing I would add is to also try the tobacco in more than one pipe. Experience taught me that one! I tried some Frog Morton in a MM cob and in my Bjarne Apple Churchwarden. I hated the taste and my wife hated the room note. Last night, I just happened to try some of the Frog Morton in my old Wally Frank Natural Unfinished Bulldog. It was wonderful!!! And, my wife loved the room note!!! So, in addition to lots of other things, the pipe can have a dramatic influence on a tobacco!! Very Happy

Robert
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fulton

Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Michigan!   Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:24 pm

There is some significance to the avatar Falconer - I am an apiary enthusiast and amateur entomologist. Two successful hives this year, though I didn't reap much honey as I was too afraid to short my buzzing friends overwinter! There's always next year...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Falconer

Registration date : 2010-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Michigan!   Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:29 pm

Fulton wrote:
There is some significance to the avatar Falconer - I am an apiary enthusiast and amateur entomologist. Two successful hives this year, though I didn't reap much honey as I was too afraid to short my buzzing friends overwinter! There's always next year...

Here we go! .......BeeBiz take the wheel!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Blues

Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Michigan!   Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:46 pm

Welcome to BoB!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beebiz

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Michigan!   Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:18 am

Fulton wrote:
Fulton, that's about as neat as a pocket on a shirt!! I am an ex-beekeeper myself. I had to give my girls up due to my health and inability to properly care for them. If you'd like to read a bit more about my experiences, I would welcome you to check out the thread that I started that is entitled Why Robert is called "beebiz".....

It tickles me to no end to learn of a younger person taking an interest in honeybees and beekeeping! And, it tickles me even more to learn of a beginner's success. Congratulations to you!! In my humble opinion, it is always better to cut yourself short on honey than it is to cut the girls short. After all, I wouldn't like for my next door neighbor to raid my freezer and pantry to the point that my wife and I couldn't survive the winter!!! I have the same thoughts regarding bees!

What kind of bees did you start out with? Did you make your own equipment? Or, did you purchase it? If you purchased it, is it all wood? Sorry for all the questions... but, my inquiring "bee" mind needs to know!!! Laughing

Robert
Back to top Go down
View user profile
velveteagle

Registration date : 2010-07-13

PostSubject: Greetings from Michigan!    Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:55 am

Fulton wrote:
Welcome Fulton.. From Allegan Michigan.. You found a great place to learn and share.. Wanted to add a note.. We have been letting a large patch of Michigan Bamboo grow the past few years out in the back yard.. The flowers blossom for two months or more.. When I have gone back there each year it is full of thousands of honey bees.. Not sure where the hive is but they seem protected from bad heath by using these blossoms from the bamboo.. Just saying...
Chuck..

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.redbubble.com/people/velveteagle
bruins

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Michigan!   Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:13 am

another really nice shot, velveteagle! thanks for posting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beebiz

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Michigan!   Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:18 am

That's a beautiful pic, brother Chuck!! Do you mind if I download it and print it out?

Robert
Back to top Go down
View user profile
velveteagle

Registration date : 2010-07-13

PostSubject: Greetings from Michigan!   Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:27 am

beebiz wrote:
That's a beautiful pic, brother Chuck!! Do you mind if I download it and print it out?

Robert

Thanks bruins... Oh beebiz you can use any photo I post for your own use.. They are sized down very small and don't make good prints.. But I save all my keeper photo's in an archive of hard disks.. Thanks for asking.. I have another photo of this beautiful plant which is very hardy.. But wanted the one with the bee in it for our new member...
Chuck.. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.redbubble.com/people/velveteagle

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Michigan!   Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:03 am

Howdy and welcome to BOB!
Back to top Go down

Greetings from Michigan!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1