HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Three dinner guests

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Three dinner guests   Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:24 pm

We were just sitting around the dinner table and one of my daughters dropped the "If you could have dinner with any three people, who would they be?" question.

Living or dead, but must have lived in modern times. Amazingly (actually, sadly, not amazingly) all the young people at the table picked actors and actresses.

My picks were Albert Camus, George Carlin and John Steinbeck. Who would you pick?

And I know EJ's gonna pick 3 dead people cuz they don't eat much and the tab will be a lot less Laughing

Last edited by Puff Daddy on Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Midnight Blues
Vinyl`meister

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Three dinner guests   Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:33 pm

Well P, the first two would be my Mom and Dad, man I sure do miss them, the last would be my friend Dave, he was a kind and gentle soul.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
*camoham

Registration date : 2010-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Three dinner guests   Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:35 pm

first of all id have to ask what is considered modern times.

keeping it within the last hundred years.

(1) Teddy Roosevelt.

(2) Robin Williams

(3) Mary Orvis Marbury

edit- didnt think loved ones would count. i have a long list for that one.

camo

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: Three dinner guests   Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:46 pm

Lee Harvey Oswald
Jack Ruby
J Edgar Hoover

Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Midnight Blues
Vinyl`meister

PostSubject: Re: Three dinner guests   Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:00 pm

Cam, Loved ones always count. I would also like to add my dog Jake, he sat next to me
at dinner every night, he was better than most people....
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Three dinner guests   Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:13 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
We were just sitting around the dinner table and one of my daughters dropped the "If you could have dinner with any three people, who would they be?". Living or dead, but must have lived in modern times. Amazingly (actually, sadly, not amazingly) all the young people at the table picked actors and actresses.

My picks were Albert Camus, George Carlin and John Steinbeck. Who would you pick?

And I know EJ's gonna pick 3 dead people cuz they don't eat much and the tab will be a lot less Laughing

So why did you pick 3 dead people? tongue

Humm who would I pick??? Obama!,,,naah secret service nightmare.

I liked camos pick #2 Robin Williams, we would be laughing too hard to eat, it would probably take an hour to get through the menu.

I did like PD's choice of Steinbeck, just to chat about the changes in the world since he wrote Travels with Charlie.

Now one of my own would have to be the grandfather I never met as he died when my dad was 9. He was killed on Dec. 16 1944 which as some might recognise as the first day of the Battle of the Bulge. He was in the 28th infantry division, 109 infantry regiment who had just come out of the Hurtgen Forest after sustaining a very high casualty rate. The 28th was supposed to be taking a break.
He posthumusly received the Distinguished Service Cross for singlehandedly taking out a machine gun nest so his pinned down platoon could get out, he was then taken down by another machine-gunner. I would love to sit down to dinner and talk to him about everything.
Back to top Go down
pistolero

Registration date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Three dinner guests   Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:22 pm

Patton
Carl Sagan
Jeff Cooper
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Three dinner guests   Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:38 pm

Cooper.. From what I understand a hell of a guy to ride the river with... Good choice, but if you really wanted to make it fun you'd bring two of Puffs guys over and enjoy the real life western...lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Three dinner guests   Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:40 pm

Jacques Barzun
George Bernard Shaw
Dick Cavett
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruins

Registration date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Three dinner guests   Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:49 pm

ahh...two are easy, valky and piet. the third, well shit, there's too many of you guys i'd love to eat with. let's just do a brother's of the briar dinner. piet's buying.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Three dinner guests   Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:52 pm

It was done in the west coast back when we were Knoxers...

We tried to get a midwest deal going but someone sideshifted it to the Chicago Pipe Show and no one showed up..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Falconer

Registration date : 2010-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Three dinner guests   Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:59 pm

bruins wrote:
ahh...two are easy, valky and piet. the third, well shit, there's too many of you guys i'd love to eat with. let's just do a brother's of the briar dinner. piet's buying.

My choices exactly but we'd have to include Jason (the founding father), sorry fellas but that's just the way it is. Although I'd like to meet most of you over a pipe full. And we'd have to go to Olympia of course! God's country. Piet can't pay, a rand doesn't calculate over here. Now if he could bring a grand, that's differnt. Say Jason, did you ever consider having a one time rendezvous for all us BoB's? Maybe in the center of the US? Like Wichita? I'll bring the paper plates!

Valky
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eggman
Cornholio

Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Three dinner guests   Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:12 pm

puros_bran wrote:
It was done in the west coast back when we were Knoxers...

We tried to get a midwest deal going but someone sideshifted it to the Chicago Pipe Show and no one showed up..

Your right PB I forgot all about that meeting the westerners had. Lots of great smokes (cigars and Pipes) good drink and good food from what I remember reading in the posts.

I was all for a midwest meet up. But it is still not too late we could get one together if we wanted to.

Now back to the original post.

1. Ernest Hemingway
2. C S Lewis
3 Anna Nicohl Smith

Maybe I need to had a second dinner just for Anna
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: Three dinner guests   Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:58 pm

Falconer wrote:
bruins wrote:

My choices exactly but we'd have to include Jason (the founding father), sorry fellas but that's just the way it is. Although I'd like to meet most of you over a pipe full. And we'd have to go to Olympia of course! God's country. Piet can't pay, a rand doesn't calculate over here. Now if he could bring a grand, that's differnt. Say Jason, did you ever consider having a one time rendezvous for all us BoB's? Maybe in the center of the US? Like Wichita? I'll bring the paper plates!

Valky

Mixed motives... nice try Valky... the reason is that Jason always brings three beauties with him on his outings... your wife must have went to bed Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruins

Registration date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Three dinner guests   Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:05 pm

Slow Puffs wrote:

the reason is that Jason always brings three beauties with him on his outings.

but for some reason all three look like marge from the simpsons. weird.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

PostSubject: Re: Three dinner guests   Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:08 pm

Falconer wrote:

My choices exactly but we'd have to include Jason (the founding father), sorry fellas but that's just the way it is.
I think you wouldn't find the interest reciprocated, Falconer. You are the wrong sex, nowhere near good looking enough, and way too old.

J's idea of a good dinner guest is more along these lines:

http://i.imgur.com/VRdYj.jpg

Last edited by LL on Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Blues

Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Three dinner guests   Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:05 am

My dad
My maternal grandfather
Edgar Allan Poe
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

PostSubject: Re: Three dinner guests   Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:25 am

Falconer ---

With golf partners like that why do you even mess with dinner parties?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Falconer

PostSubject: Re: Three dinner guests   Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:34 am

LL wrote:
Falconer ---

Hmmmm. Let me look into it. I'll reflect on that and get back to ya. Might have something to do with the number of strokes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Three dinner guests   Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:41 am

C. S. Lewis
Dorothy Parker
Tony Hillerman

and Jason's dinner guest for dessert!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Three dinner guests   Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:06 am

EJinVA wrote:
So why did you pick 3 dead people? tongue
Hey, my 3 dead people are boozers and junkies, the food bill may be low but the bar tab's gonna break me Laughing

Midnight Blues wrote:
Well P, the first two would be my Mom and Dad
Ooh, didn't even think of that. My old man died when I was eleven. To be honest, I don't think I'd pick him, would be too painful. Took me years to shake that off. I have enough grief in my life just trying to cope with what I've got I've got on my plate, and since I don't drink and dislike medication, I don't think I'd open that door. Better to deal with that in the great beyond where my coping ability would be up to snuff.

Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Three dinner guests   Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:08 am

Falconer wrote:
LL wrote:
Falconer ---

Hmmmm. Let me look into it. I'll reflect on that and get back to ya. Might have something to do with the number of strokes.

Sorry boys, had to delete that post. This isn't the rubber room and we can't have the nudie girls running up and down the hallways, goes against the forum hosts rules of decorum.

PostSubject: Re: Three dinner guests   Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:57 am

Puff Daddy wrote:
Falconer wrote:
LL wrote:
Falconer ---

Sorry boys, had to delete that post. This isn't the rubber room and we can't have the nudie girls running up and down the hallways, goes against the forum hosts rules of decorum.

Bummer dude! Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
RB-5

Registration date : 2010-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Three dinner guests   Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:01 am

It would really depend on my mood. If i was in a good mood it would be: Bob Marley, Gandhi and Jesus. If I was in a bad mood it would be: Pol Pot, Hitler and Osama Bin Laden. If I was feeling musical it would be: Earl Scruggs, Jerry Garcia and Jimi Hendrix. If I were feeling smart it would be: Sir I. Newton, Leonardo and A. Einstein.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Falconer

PostSubject: Re: Three dinner guests   Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:13 pm

EJinVA wrote:
Puff Daddy wrote:
Falconer wrote:
LL wrote:
Falconer ---

Bummer dude! Crying or Very sad

Puff Daddy is right. The line needs to be drawn on what's appropriate and what's not. I need to behave myself. We can have just as much fun and keep it clean. I'm glad BoB has these rules and sorry I wasn't wise enough stay within those limits. It won't happen again. Valky Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Three dinner guests
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: