HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Need help with New Pipe? Experience needed, fast.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dspiveyjr

Registration date : 2010-08-26

PostSubject: Need help with New Pipe? Experience needed, fast.   Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:03 pm

Just got a new pipe, a Randy Wiley Freehand, usually I buy estate pipes but this is my first brand new one. I started a bowl of Peterson Christmas 2010 and it started out fine, but I felt like I was sucking the bottom of a soft drink with a straw, the popping and was not getting a good draw of smoke, tried to relight but did not seem to be the problem. I cleaned out the bowl thinking that the tobacco was too moist. I put a finer dryer tobacco in and it started out better, then about halfway it started the popping sound again and started sizzling as the moisture was boiling. Was getting good smoke but the popping sound and sound from the draw is annoying. I loaded the bowl correctly and tamped only when needed, never had this problem with my other pipes. Could someone tell me what causes the moisture, is this normal on a new pipe, is it the tobacco, should tobacco be laid out to dry prior to loading pipe? I would like to know if this pipe will do better or am I doing something wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Need help with New Pipe? Experience needed, fast.   Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:20 pm

there's always going to be some moisture released from tobacco, since it's a new pipe there's no cake built up to absorb it,,,,I'd try smoking the pipe one third full five or six times to get the cake forming from the bottom up,,,,then half full etc.,,,I've had similar experiences breaking in a new pipe,,,,I'm sure more experienced brothers will chime in with advice,,,

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Falconer

Registration date : 2010-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Need help with New Pipe? Experience needed, fast.   Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:45 pm

with new pipes I go half bowls for awhile and even then may have to run a cleaner thru it midway. I always load a new pipe hours before I smoke it and let it sit. That allows the baccy to dry out plenty before lighting up. Ribbon cut seems to work the best for me until I can get a cake on it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Blues

Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Need help with New Pipe? Experience needed, fast.   Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:53 pm

Falconer wrote:
with new pipes I go half bowls for awhile and even then may have to run a cleaner thru it midway. I always load a new pipe hours before I smoke it and let it sit. That allows the baccy to dry out plenty before lighting up. Ribbon cut seems to work the best for me until I can get a cake on it.

My thoughts exactly. Sometimes I even let the tobacco dry before and after packing and I alternate 1/2 bowls and full bowls.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dspiveyjr

PostSubject: Re: Need help with New Pipe? Experience needed, fast.   Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:09 am

Is it safe to say, nothing wrong with pipe or tobacco, just need to break in a cakeless new pipe. Thanks for the comments, I knew my Brothers would come to the rescue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muddler

Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Need help with New Pipe? Experience needed, fast.   Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:22 am

I've only had one Randy Wiley - a huge Galleon that used to gurgle. I gave it to Piet, who replaced the stem with one bored out to 4mm & the gurgling stopped. It evidently became a smoker of class.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Need help with New Pipe? Experience needed, fast.   Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:29 am

If what you describe happens with every pipe you own, it is an operator malfunction---meaning something to do with your smoking technique, bowl filling, or possibly the tobacco itself.

If you get satisfactory performance from your other pipes, then it most likely is a pipe problem. Wetness and gurgling would indicate that something about the airway is triggering condensation, and being a standard design, there's nowhere for it to go except either back down the airway to the bowl or into your mouth, drinking straw style. (Peterson system pipes have a chamber which collects it out of harm's way; while a proper airway in a conventional pipe doesn't trigger the condensation in the first place.)

I don't think the pipe being new & uncaked has anything to do with it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Need help with New Pipe? Experience needed, fast.   Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:09 am

LL wrote:
If what you describe happens with every pipe you own, it is an operator malfunction---meaning something to do with your smoking technique, bowl filling, or possibly the tobacco itself.

If you get satisfactory performance from your other pipes, then it most likely is a pipe problem. Wetness and gurgling would indicate that something about the airway is triggering condensation, and being a standard design, there's nowhere for it to go except either back down the airway to the bowl or into your mouth, drinking straw style. (Peterson system pipes have a chamber which collects it out of harm's way; while a proper airway in a conventional pipe doesn't trigger the condensation in the first place.)

I don't think the pipe being new & uncaked has anything to do with it.
Agreed here With LL,

I have A Wiley and it is one of the best smokers I own, it is the one Muddler has just referred to above.
It is a magnum and had a 2.5 mm draft in the shank and stem. I replaced it with a new 4mm stem and opened the shank, problem was solved. Off the cuff, Randy Wiley is a legend but I have heard of the airways in some of his pipes being small.

Tell you what, remove the stem and size the draft hole I bet it is between 2.5 to 3mm. To do this use th back end of a drill bit to see what size fits, then get back to us.
How big is the bowl, depth and width???
The Wiley I had went from a wet soda straw to the best smoker I have. I am not saying that this is the case with all of them but I have seen some upset about owl size v/s draft. IMO

Either way, Wiley pipes are of the finest in the business! you made a fine choice!
Post up a pic or 2 man! it may help!
Back to top Go down
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Need help with New Pipe? Experience needed, fast.   Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:36 pm

Sometimes the weather here will make a few of my pipes gurgle. As others have said, just run a pipe cleaner in them to soak it up and continue on. You might have gotten a little piece of tobacco in the airway. Could be that once you get some gunk built up in the airway that gurgle may go away until you clean it good next time.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Need help with New Pipe? Experience needed, fast.   Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:25 pm

Carlos wrote:
Sometimes the weather here will make a few of my pipes gurgle. As others have said, just run a pipe cleaner in them to soak it up and continue on. You might have gotten a little piece of tobacco in the airway. Could be that once you get some gunk built up in the airway that gurgle may go away until you clean it good next time.
Good point you make there Carlos!
Back to top Go down
dspiveyjr

PostSubject: Re: Need help with New Pipe? Experience needed, fast.   Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:43 pm

Guys, I appreciate the help, I believe that the need to build cake is the problem, I am drying my tobacco about 30 minutes before I smoke and I have been alternating third to half bowl and I believe it is smoking better. It is smoking perfectly now, I will try a two-thirds bowl later this week, letting it rest some, (maybe, hard to let a new pipe rest).

Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Need help with New Pipe? Experience needed, fast.   Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:20 am

dspiveyjr wrote:
Guys, I appreciate the help, I believe that the need to build cake is the problem, I am drying my tobacco about 30 minutes before I smoke and I have been alternating third to half bowl and I believe it is smoking better. It is smoking perfectly now, I will try a two-thirds bowl later this week, letting it rest some, (maybe, hard to let a new pipe rest).

Thanks again.
Glad it is working out for you, as mentioned Wiley pipes are of the best in the business!!!
Enjoy!
Back to top Go down

Need help with New Pipe? Experience needed, fast.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1