HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Do any of you guys in South Africa know...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Do any of you guys in South Africa know...    Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:46 pm

Last edited by Bub on Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Do any of you guys in South Africa know...    Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:59 pm

Great photo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Do any of you guys in South Africa know...    Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:04 pm

Ahhhh!!! He ain't smoking a Jan Pietenpauw & Son pipe!!!!
He must be from Botswana Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Falconer

Registration date : 2010-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Do any of you guys in South Africa know...    Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:44 pm

Ummm! Bub said "Do any f you guys in South Africa know" lol! lol! lol!

I know, I know it's just a typo, I do it all the time. Mad But its still funny! Isn't it Piet, Mudd, BlueD? affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Do any of you guys in South Africa know...    Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:38 am

Yea we do know!!
These are members of the South African community that go unnoticed by the pipe lore in South Africa!
They are all characters.
I have just returned from Xhosa Country in the former Transkei, now the eastern cape. This is Mandela country. Part of the local culture is pipe smoking, woman more than the men. I was fortunate to smoke a bowl or two around these wonderful people.
They are poor, pipes are hand crafted or hand me down basket pipes. At a stage I wished I had a hand full of cobs to hand out.
A pitty I did not have my camera around at the time.
None of these people knew I smoked a pipe and the morning I broke out my sav. 3613 up on the hill with OJK for breakfast, my social status climbed 5 fold.
Two gardeners in the museum complex scored a bowl off OJK from me. In turn I was offered something they call BB. Real cheap low grade otc baccy.
Both agreed that it was HO and did not like it much!
These are basic people, they smoke what they smoke and the pipe becomes an extension of their personalities.
The Xhosa people are by fare the greatest pipe smokers in our country. They appreciated my passion for it!

The old man in the picture is smoking a Keyser system pipe. They are exclusively mand for the RSA market in the UK and are robust and strong to withstand outdoor use. No mess no fuss kinda pipes. The white farming community are all smokers too and I am sure this is where this pipe came from as a hand me down.
This is a typical Keyser, in for refirb.

A pic of a local carved Xhosa "Dublin" blackwood bowl, wooden stem.

Smoking OJK for breakfast in Xhosa Country! note the rural village in the valley.

Back to top Go down
bluedigital

Registration date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Do any of you guys in South Africa know...    Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:02 am

100% spot on Piet. The pipes are certainly an extension of their personality. One of the guys who works for Mandy (My wife) in her workshop saw me smoking my pipe the other day and asked if I had a pipe for his elderly dad who lives back in the homeland as he was traveling up there to see him in a months time. I gave him my first briar billiard I owned along with some baccy for his dad. I'm sure his dad will thoroughly enjoy the gift as they are very simple and poor folk who appreciate the smallest gesture.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.deanswanepoel.com

PostSubject: Re: Do any of you guys in South Africa know...    Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:04 am

bluedigital wrote:
100% spot on Piet. The pipes are certainly an extension of their personality. One of the guys who works for Mandy (My wife) in her workshop saw me smoking my pipe the other day and asked if I had a pipe for his elderly dad who lives back in the homeland as he was traveling up there to see him in a months time. I gave him my first briar billiard I owned along with some baccy for his dad. I'm sure his dad will thoroughly enjoy the gift as they are very simple and poor folk who appreciate the smallest gesture.
Nice one BD,
Now send the old man some FVF along with the pipe Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Do any of you guys in South Africa know...    Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:05 am

Piet & BD --

Thanks for that. You just made my day. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muddler

Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Do any of you guys in South Africa know...    Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:16 am

What a brilliant image. I was hunting in the Karoo - the area this man hails from - a few years back. They have a rich heritage of pipe smoking (not all of it tobacco). Of course my pipe made me instantly popular with the local farm hands, one of whom asked if I had a spare pipe for her (yes, her). Of course I did. On another hunt, in another part of the country, I came across an old man who was smoking a Keyser which had burnt through & which he had repaired with duct tape. Said it smoked just fine. I offered him one of my pipes but he refused saying he only smoked Keysers (which, by the way are really bad pipes) & since he could not afford a new one, this one would do. Well, I have a Keyser sitting here at home waiting for my next trip into that area.

Pipe smoking is very much part of the SA history. I remember seeing a picture of a young Nelson Mandela with a pipe in his mouth. Sadly, I did not save the picture & have been unable to find it. Our previous president, Thabo Mbeki, is a pipe smoker. Guess we're in good company.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Do any of you guys in South Africa know...    Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:21 am

Mudd, I just love that story man!!
And yes, I second the fact that Keyser pipes are really crap smokers!!!! but hey the entire RSA population love them so there must be something wrong with us!!!!! Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Do any of you guys in South Africa know...    Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:52 am

Cool stuff guys!

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Do any of you guys in South Africa know...    Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:53 am

you just can't buy that kind of brand loyalty! pirat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Handsome Dynamite

Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Do any of you guys in South Africa know...    Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:07 pm

Seeing people who love their pipes so much almost make me feel like a phony sometimes. I love my pipes, but I can't say any of them really are an extension of me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Do any of you guys in South Africa know...    Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:43 pm

Fascinating Piet!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
ZuluCollector

Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Do any of you guys in South Africa know...    Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:35 pm

I really appreciate this thread a lot. It is great to hear about South Africa, but......

I spent a month getting permission to post this photo on my blog from the photographer. It is posted here without permission and it took me awhile to get the photographer to let me use it. It was conditional, that it not be reproduced and that I give her credit and link to her website.

Now I find the photo here after writing on my post "Please be respectful of her image and property and donít download or use this image without her permission. You can see more of her work or contact her by going to this link."

Maybe permission has been secured, if so, I stand corrected.

Just so you know, the posting of copyrighted work without permission creates a significant liability for this board and for the poster. Both can be sued severally and jointly. Significant as in $25,000 to $100,000 or more in potential damages.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but this is why it is so difficult to get people to let these images be used legitimately.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.apassionforpipes.com
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Do any of you guys in South Africa know...    Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:40 pm

I edited the post containing the photo.

Just FYI though, forum owners/moderators aren't usually held legally responsible for individual posters. No one would run an interactive website if this was the case.

Reference: http://www.dmwmedia.com/news/2008/04/14/analysis:-website-owner-responsible-user-generated-content%3F

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Do any of you guys in South Africa know...    Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:00 pm

jhuggett wrote:
I edited the post containing the photo.

Oops...sorry.
I don't know how I missed the request
that the photo not be posted.

Imagine how many toes we stepped on
in the "Name that Pipe Smoker" thread.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Do any of you guys in South Africa know...    Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:37 am

All we are doing is appreciating good photography,
If I fined people for every time they posted my work on a blog, forum or website I'd be a millionaire, besides it's free advertising for her!!!
All is cool!
Thanks for expressing concern tho'!
Back to top Go down
bluedigital

Registration date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Do any of you guys in South Africa know...    Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:00 am

I would imagine that if there were some financial gain to be made from posting such an image then we would be stepping on toes. Appreciating the image and creating an awareness of the photographer is in fact free marketing for her. Just my humble opinion. silent
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.deanswanepoel.com
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Do any of you guys in South Africa know...    Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:07 am

ZuluCollector wrote:
I really appreciate this thread a lot. It is great to hear about South Africa, but......

I spent a month getting permission to post this photo on my blog from the photographer. It is posted here without permission and it took me awhile to get the photographer to let me use it. It was conditional, that it not be reproduced and that I give her credit and link to her website.

Now I find the photo here after writing on my post "Please be respectful of her image and property and donít download or use this image without her permission. You can see more of her work or contact her by going to this link."

Maybe permission has been secured, if so, I stand corrected.

Just so you know, the posting of copyrighted work without permission creates a significant liability for this board and for the poster. Both can be sued severally and jointly. Significant as in $25,000 to $100,000 or more in potential damages.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but this is why it is so difficult to get people to let these images be used legitimately.

I think a simple "The photographer asked that her photo not be used by anyone but me. Thanks." would have sufficed, Neill. Not many ungentlemanly types here, never mind hardened criminals who only understand threats. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Do any of you guys in South Africa know...    Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:56 am

Proudly South African, and yes LL, none of us seem to be ungentlemanly in this regard, so I second that!

cheers cheers cheers 3 cheers!
Back to top Go down
Lupulus

Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Do any of you guys in South Africa know...    Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:14 am

The intent of the law is to prevent others from illegally profiting from using your work. This website doesn't even have any advertising, let alone anything to sell. The picture is not even being used to promote the site on search engines or anything like that. If the artist tried to sue for using the picture, she would have to prove some kind of monetary damage and that someone profited by using the picture or damage to her reputation took place. If she can't prove that, the case would be thrown out. We are simply appreciating her fine photography, something that fits well within Fair Use laws. Passion for Pipes, on the other hand, actually does have a merchandising section, so he probably does need permission since (though I am sure this isn't true, this is how the lawyer would portray it) it could be construed that he is using the picture to draw readers to his site in the hope that they will buy something from him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Do any of you guys in South Africa know...    Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:22 am

Let it go fellers.

Right or wrong doesn't matter... the artist asked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Do any of you guys in South Africa know...    Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:26 pm

Piet, you shoot a Hoyt or just wear the hat? I was always a Ben Pearson shooter myself.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Do any of you guys in South Africa know...    Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:34 pm

Carlos wrote:
Piet, you shoot a Hoyt or just wear the hat? I was always a Ben Pearson shooter myself.
Proudly American Carlos!!!
Yes I do shoot Hoyt.
I am a Recurver by trade and now shoot the Nexus with CX 900 limbs @ 37 pounds. I have shot two national and 9 provincial medals with this setup!!
My compound bow, is used for hunting only not target and it is a lazer tech, @ 75 pounds!
Know about Pearson but they are scares around these parts.
Here the compound bows that feature are:
Hoyt
Mathews
Bear
Bowtech
PSE
Martin
I think here in RSA Hoyt and Mathews have taken more game than anywhere else in the world!!!
Back to top Go down

Do any of you guys in South Africa know...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next