HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Something seems wrong here

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Frost

Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Something seems wrong here   Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:41 pm

Long boring work story...

I audit insurance claims from behind a desk for a living. Real property damage claims to be more specific..everytyhing from normal stuff like your house burning down to weird stuff like a city's water tower falling down. Contractor's estimates, public adjuster/IA estimates, subragation demands, etc. The object is to save our clients (insurance companies) money by making sure they aren't overcharged for things and double checking to make sure estimates and such are prepared accurately.

Today I had a subrogation claim (one insurance company or law firm or the like trying to get reimbursed from another) for water damage to a large commercial property in the Manhattan area. I managed to save our client over $38,000 on this one file due to various inconsistencies and oversights by the other carrier who's adjuster prepared the estimate. I also made the company I work for over $200 for the service I provided. Job well done right? So what's wrong you ask?

1)38k is more than I made last year and probably more than I will make this year.

2)Won't name names, but let's just say that alot of our tax dollars have/will/are going to the insurance company that is our client because they have done some not so smart things

3) For doing such a good job and saving so much money...I earned a grand total of $72 on that file.

Before taxes.

This really isn't anything new...and I'm not really complaining. It's just kinda depressing/frustrating/infuriating when you thing about it from a certain perspective, and I felt the need to vent/share.

Thanks for your patience if you read this far. I have to get back to making and saving a bunch of money for other people and earning crap for myself. cheers

-Adam
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flytyer

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Something seems wrong here   Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:47 pm

Frost...I just want to say thanks for making me feel great about my job and my pay.. Very Happy

Joe
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Something seems wrong here   Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:48 pm

I understand your viewpoint,,,I felt the same working in a bearing factory,,,I used to finish grind 36 inch thrust plates to a 3 microfinish, custom end grind the tapered rollers to fit the assembly within five tenthousandths of an inch, and meet the stack height of the finished bearing within one thousandth of an inch with .0005 or less runout,,,sometimes a hunch and good luck played an important role,,,,all for eleven seventy five an hour,,,finished one unit per day,,,,,sold to the military for $185,000 per unit,,,,,felt my experience and expertise was worth a lot more than I was being paid,,,,but there were worse situations,,,like not having a job,,,,

Frost, all I can tell you is at the end of a day take pride in knowing you've done an exceptional job. Pour a drink, light a pipe.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruins

Registration date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Something seems wrong here   Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:09 pm

my wife and i work in a hospital. our hospital announced layoffs today. luckily not my wife or i, but some people lost their jobs, they shut down an entire department (mental health, which i think is ironic). the hospital is doing this because universal health care is going to model medicare reimbursement rates that are about 30 cents on the dollar. no one will have the Cadillac insurance plans anymore. all the hospitals in the state are in a panic to figure out how to make it on that kind of money and are cutting budgets, expansions, and services. now the dilemma is, with universal health care, everyone gets good affordable healthcare, but i may be out a job, or at least my pay is not going to get any better. without universal health care, millions of people don't get the help they need, but my family is secure. i don't know what way to go on this...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Something seems wrong here   Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:38 pm

BULLSHIT...

Millions of people haven't, weren't, without medical care... It was bs fearmongering from the get go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruins

PostSubject: Re: Something seems wrong here   Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:43 pm

puros_bran wrote:
BULLSHIT...

Millions of people haven't, weren't, without medical care... It was bs fearmongering from the get go.

well, having insurance, and being able to afford your co-pay are two different things. people will shell out whatever for cardiac and life threatening problems, but outpatient services have been on a steady decline since the recession hit. i don't have an agenda. i don't even know how i feel about it. i just see the numbers. we have to track all that shit. even before the recession hospitals in our area were curtailing/rejecting their services for medicare patients. we can't be we're a non-profit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Something seems wrong here   Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:59 pm

Thats because alot of what is deemed necessary isn't...

But thats a far cry from millions without adequate medical care... Thats hyperbolic emotionalism designed for the sole purpose of guilting the American people into relinquishing even more control of their life and their finances... Worked beautifully too..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Something seems wrong here   Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:01 pm

And Hospitals aren't non profit, well most of them aren't anyway... but there are tons and tons and tons of clinics that are.. Of course the guiltladen fearful imagine that its far inferior care... Whatever...

I wish they'd just put the damn shackles on us and be done with it.. Of course then the libbys and psuedo-conservatives would just cuss the evilness of the system instead of admitting the people they backed Fucked us!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Something seems wrong here   Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:11 pm

puros_bran wrote:

...hyperbolic emotionalism...

...relinquishing...

PB? Is that really you? Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruins

PostSubject: Re: Something seems wrong here   Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:31 pm

i can't really tell what side you're arguing for, pb... the legitimates who can't afford healthcare, because those are real people that i see every day, or the 'shackles' that will allow everyone the same healthcare, regardless of their economic status. (there are lots of county hospitals that are non-profits.)

Last edited by bruins on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frost

PostSubject: Re: Something seems wrong here   Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:33 pm

Wow, it took like 5 whole posts to turn the thread in to RR material. You guys are slackin' Laughing

puros_bran wrote:
And Hospitals aren't non profit, well most of them aren't anyway... but there are tons and tons and tons of clinics that are.. Of course the guiltladen fearful imagine that its far inferior care... Whatever...

I wish they'd just put the damn shackles on us and be done with it.. Of course then the libbys and psuedo-conservatives would just cuss the evilness of the system instead of admitting the people they backed Fucked us!

When is the last time somebody didn't fuck us? Lol. Sure wasn't as long as I have been alive...admittedly I am somewhat of a youngin' by BoB standards, but my butt has definately been sore for many years.

I still can't comprehend anyone who belives that capitalism can still work as a moral guide, and when applied to healthcare that is exactly what it becomes. It contains within it the seeds of it's own destruction just like every other political ideology.

Some things just shouldn't be about money, and in my opinion caring for the sick/injured is one of them. Actually in my opinion most things shouldn't be about money. If that makes me a flaming lib in somone's eyes then so be it, but when the pursuit of wealth and capital becomes more important than the health, happiness and safety of your fellow human beings then it is fairly obvious (to me) that we are on a steep and slippery slope to hell.

Don't get my wrong PB, I agree that the whole obamacare thing is massively screwed and I am sure it will just replace our old problems with new ones to bitch about...I just think it's pretty low on the priority list as far as what needs fixin' is all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Something seems wrong here   Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:06 pm

Its not about the money...Its about the lie that people cant get needed health care...

BULLSHIT. May not be Kliner and Koontz.. but damn what do we expect????
Let those that can afford super premium care get super premium care.. the rest of us can use just regular care...
Instead we are ditching regular care and super premium care under the lie that folk couldn't get cared for and we are all going to the clinics now.......
Once again the Libbys and Psuedo-Reps are going to get exactly what they asked for and then raise hell about the system being evil instead of admitting their complisity in it.

And before the "What about the people that declare bankruptsy" dickheads start.. So instead of letting the big evil corporate machine known as modern medicine take a bullet on it your willing to bankrupt America even further...

Nuff Mrs Spelling that time LL??? Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Something seems wrong here   Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:16 pm

Three? Four? weeks ago I sit in the ER all night with my wife.. Not going into everything BUT she didnt have proof of insurance (she has insurance, just didn't have any proof, First week of a full time job that covers you from day one, and no they didn't chase it down, just listed us as self pay).. They ran a CT scan, Pelvic Exam, Blood Work, an Ultrasound,treated her with several medicines, and prepped her for surgery (been put off until the 11th).. We had never been to this hospital before because we had always heard they were terrible.. I agree ,Totally rotten inadequit rush us out in the street to die.. the bastards should all be run out of business..OH HOLD IT, with HCR they are going to be.. yaaaaaaay for HCR, who needs that kind of treatment. Proof that they just wheel you out into the street once they stop the bleeding huh..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruins

PostSubject: Re: Something seems wrong here   Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Its not about the money...Its about the lie that people cant get needed health care...

BULLSHIT. May not be Kliner and Koontz.. but damn what do we expect????
Let those that can afford super premium care get super premium care.. the rest of us can use just regular care...
Instead we are ditching regular care and super premium care under the lie that folk couldn't get cared for and we are all going to the clinics now.......
Once again the Libbys and Psuedo-Reps are going to get exactly what they asked for and then raise hell about the system being evil instead of admitting their complisity in it.

And before the "What about the people that declare bankruptsy" dickheads start.. So instead of letting the big evil corporate machine known as modern medicine take a bullet on it your willing to bankrupt America even further...

Nuff Mrs Spelling that time LL??? Razz

we're a medium size county hospital just outside of the capital. we don't give super health care. we give good, regular healthcare. cheaper than going to marion county, the indianapolis county seat. you don't get heart surgery at our hospital (is what i'm saying.) but many people can't afford us. i don't know the breakdown between layoffs, bankruptcies, pay check to pay check living, insurance premiums too high, or people who are putting off a colonoscopy because it's preventive and not life threatening, but combined, these people are having a huge impact on our hospital and neighboring hospitals. that's all i can say about it. you get into these big picture arguments about conspiracies, evil corporations, leftist scare tactics, i can just tell you what i've seen from middle american people cancelling procedures because they can't afford it. i have to sit through bullshit meetings about this stuff, us trying to figure out how to best serve our community and keep hospital staff paid. it's a tightrope, or is becoming one. i never thought i'd live to see the day we have to get rid of an office printer because the cartridges are too damn high. or layoffs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Something seems wrong here   Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:19 pm

The guy I used to work for is basically forcing his guys to buy their trucks or leave.. You wanna know why?? Guess.. really.. its a hard one...

He can't afford Obama approved insurance and he damn sure aint going to take the FINE. but hey, We will all be able to go to the clinic for "free" (free being defined as about 1/5-1/3 your income) yaaaaaaaaay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Something seems wrong here   Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:19 pm

I need my blood pressure medicine. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frost

PostSubject: Re: Something seems wrong here   Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:21 pm

I don't understand...if someone has a tumor that needs to be removed or it will kill them but can't afford to pay the copay or the insurance company decides that it isn't worth it to cover them, or someone need meds to keep them alive but can't afford the prescription...why is it a lie that these people can't get needed healthcare?

These things happen man...it's not just a fabrication by whatever political party you want to pin it on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Something seems wrong here   Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:22 pm

Pipetongue is getting his medicine from th Evil Health Care industry..
I've never had problems getting treated...
Where are these millions that cant get treated??????????????????????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Something seems wrong here   Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:27 pm

Didnt mean to derail the thread.. just got pissed off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruins

PostSubject: Re: Something seems wrong here   Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:34 pm

puros_bran wrote:

what happens is that a hospital who can't turn away self-pays, takes care of the life threatening emergency and then eats the bill. that's okay sometimes, but when that happens regularly, it becomes a real problem. we hate self-pays. we no they can't. i couldn't. then you have to chase after a sick person trying to get some money from them. it just doesn't work. even with regular 'good' insurance, in my area of the hospital, the patient part of the bill is around $600. they're not paying. laid off, scared, bought the wide screen tv too soon, who knows. those lost profits add up quickly. many necessary hospital departments like respiratory and neurology run in the red year after year. the hospital tries to make it up in other areas. but right now, those other areas aren't making up the difference either.

getting treated and being able to provide treatment are two different things.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frost

PostSubject: Re: Something seems wrong here   Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:45 pm

puros_bran wrote:

When the cost of the care to the individual who requires it becomes prohibitive or requires an inordinate sacrifice to obtain it, that not only borders on extorsion but effectively prevents that person from obtaining treatment.

I don't know about millions, but here are 12:

http://www.billshrink.com/blog/5596/health-care/

I'm not saying these people don't have any responsibility for what happened to them, but I am saying that stories like these are just plain wrong and should not happen. It comes down to whether you think compassion or capitalism is more important.

Last edited by Frost on Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : too many commas)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruins

PostSubject: Re: Something seems wrong here   Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:53 pm

Frost wrote:
puros_bran wrote:

When the cost of the care to the individual who requires it becomes prohibitive or requires an inordinate sacrifice to obtain it, that not only borders on extorsion, but effectively prevents that person from obtaining treatment.

I don't know about millions, but here are 12:

http://www.billshrink.com/blog/5596/health-care/

I'm not saying these people don't have any responsibility for what happened to them, but I am saying that stories like these are just plain wrong and should not happen. It comes down to whether you think compassion or capitalism is more important.

for the majority of people who work in the industry, it's compassion, even at for profit hospitals. we do want to help people. cancer comes out of nowhere. disease devastates a previously healthy person. it's horrible. there shouldn't a super hospital for michael douglas, but is out of reach for my brother who developed colon cancer in his late 20's. question is, how do you pay for it. how do you pay for innovation, world class surgeons, technology. i don't have the answer to this. right now the japanese have what is considered by many to be the best universal healthcare in the world. you know how they do it? their doctors are middle class. it ain't happening in the us of a.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Something seems wrong here   Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:29 pm

Since when does the clinic down the street not charge based on your income???
I'm not saying its Bethsada by anymeans... what I'm saying is there is health care offered... on top of that the ER CANT turn you away..
There never has (in modern times) been people that couldn't get medical treatment if they sought it.. your to stupid to seek care I can't help you..

My point about the hospital eating the bill is just the point you made... The people that seem to want to 'stick it to the rich' 'screw the evil corporations' etc etc etc are the loudest protesters to hanging the hospital with the bill... seems like by the logic presented by that 'side' hanging the private business would be the goal.. Thats who your bitching about as unfair while at the same time saying hanging them with the bill is unfair...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Something seems wrong here   Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:34 pm

Last edited by Frost on Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : too many commas)

Commas ,are,our,friend,Frost.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Something seems wrong here   Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:39 pm

The last comment that I'll make on it....

HCR didn't help you.. It didn't help me... It didn't help your boss(unless you work for insurance or government).. It didn't help the medical field..

All it did was increase the big business power of insurance to a near death grip and allocate more finage/taxation/oversight/control of your life by the government.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Something seems wrong here
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next