HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Any port drinkers out there?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Harlock999

Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

Any port drinkers out there? Empty
PostSubject: Any port drinkers out there?   Any port drinkers out there? EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 8:23 pm

I've always been intrigued by those mysterious black bottles of port...but I don't know where to start. Any suggestions? confused
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Falconer

Falconer

Registration date : 2010-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Any port drinkers out there?   Any port drinkers out there? EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 9:50 pm

I'm not a huge wine drinker Harlock but I have tried several ports. Sandmans good for me and I especially like Ware's Otima 10 year tawny port. I drank it a lot during my cigar days. They go good together after dinner. I haven't really tried any ports with my pipe smoking. Once I found how good whisky went with it, I stopped searching. Very Happy
The wife likes Taylor port, she makes up some kind of special mixture with blackberry, orange and lemon and calls some kind of sangria. Rolling Eyes
Sandman used to have a 3 port set of ruby, tawny and white. Might look for something like that if your searching for the right port.

Good luck, Valky
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Any port drinkers out there?   Any port drinkers out there? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 2:32 am

Thanks Valky, I appreciate the information! I'm not much of a drinker, but I think I am going to try out a port.
I'll look out for one of those, thanks again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokntaz

Smokntaz

Registration date : 2010-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Any port drinkers out there?   Any port drinkers out there? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 4:28 am

Don't know much if anything about port but this summer I had the opportunity to try some Taylor Fladgate 20 year old Tawny and it was amazing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobT

RobT

Registration date : 2010-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Any port drinkers out there?   Any port drinkers out there? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 4:54 am

Being on a different continent, the brands will be different, but in a nutshell: The best come from Portugal (and you get what you pay for)
All are fortified wines (meaning they are strengthened with brandy during the production process), and most are sweet. I would suggest going for a Ruby, LBV (late Bottled Vintage) or a vintage port. Try a medium priced one to start with - and beware the headache in the morning - not from bad booze, but port is so delicious I tend to drink too much of it in one sitting...
I f you'd like more in depth detail I'd be happy to oblige (I'm a wine buff by profession)
AL
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.pwclosures.co.za
Harlock999

Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Any port drinkers out there?   Any port drinkers out there? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 8:11 pm

Thanks RobT. I went to the store and picked up a bottle of Sandemans Founders Reserve. Not cheap, but not too expensive either, and it tastes great (strong too). Do you know how this brand compares with others?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father
jhuggett

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Any port drinkers out there?   Any port drinkers out there? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 10:14 pm

Tawny and Ruby ports are aged and blended to be drank off the shelf. I think the rule of thumb for vintage port is a minimum of ten years before it's considered drinkable.

I purchased a vintage bottle for the year my daughter was born, 1991. I plan on giving it to her for her 21st birthday.

Falconer

Falconer

PostSubject: Re: Any port drinkers out there?   Any port drinkers out there? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 10:27 pm

jhuggett wrote:
Tawny and Ruby ports are aged and blended to be drank off the shelf. I think the rule of thumb for vintage port is a minimum of ten years before it's considered drinkable.

I purchased a vintage bottle for the year my daughter was born, 1991. I plan on giving it to her for her 21st birthday.

That is really cool Jason! And a much better plan for it than a ten year gift! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
St Fiacre

St Fiacre

Registration date : 2010-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Any port drinkers out there?   Any port drinkers out there? EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 2:50 am

I think I should tell my parents to get me that, or you could always give me the bottle for my 21 birthday. I was born in 1991 also Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vercer

Registration date : 2010-09-26

PostSubject: Re: Any port drinkers out there?   Any port drinkers out there? EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 10:19 pm

A tawny will not age. Once it hits the bottle it's as good as it will get. Also worth noting that some of the Aussie ports, specifically from Penfolds will rival even some of the better Portuguese ports.

Late Botttled Vintages are a great way to get a good bottle at a lower price as they are often as good as the same year but somewhat less expensive for some reason.

Sad to say but I killed my last remaining bottle of Penfolds Grandfather this past Christmas and now have to wait for my buddy to send me another bottle or three.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Falconer

Falconer

PostSubject: Re: Any port drinkers out there?   Any port drinkers out there? EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 10:48 pm

"Any port drinker out there?"

Actually when I'm on a ship I drink on the port or the starboard side. I'm not so particular I reckon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vercer

PostSubject: Re: Any port drinkers out there?   Any port drinkers out there? EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 10:50 pm

Any storm in a port
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Blues

Smokin' Blues

Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Any port drinkers out there?   Any port drinkers out there? EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 11:15 pm

Never tried port wine, but this thread has spiked my interest. Damn it! the last time a thread spiked my interest, I fell prey to TAD and spent too much on baccy. Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vercer

PostSubject: Re: Any port drinkers out there?   Any port drinkers out there? EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 12:44 am

New Smoker wrote:
Never tried port wine, but this thread has spiked my interest. Damn it! the last time a thread spiked my interest, I fell prey to TAD and spent too much on baccy. Mad

Port goes well with pipes it seems, so well that http://www.grand-illusions.com/acatalog/Brandy_Pipe.html even has the preferred port drinking glasses!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Any port drinkers out there?   Any port drinkers out there? EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 5:35 pm

Two down, so many more to try...Any port drinkers out there? Dsc_0314
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tom Stormcrowe

Tom Stormcrowe

Registration date : 2010-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Any port drinkers out there?   Any port drinkers out there? EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 9:22 pm

I love a good port. I actually prefer a Tawny Port, and a good smoke. Either a Cuban Cigar or a good stout English blend in the pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bikeforums.net
Harlock999

Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Any port drinkers out there?   Any port drinkers out there? EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 9:32 pm

Tom Stormcrowe wrote:
I love a good port. I actually prefer a Tawny Port, and a good smoke. Either a Cuban Cigar or a good stout English blend in the pipe.

Any favorites?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tom Stormcrowe

Tom Stormcrowe

Registration date : 2010-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Any port drinkers out there?   Any port drinkers out there? EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 9:38 pm

Harlock999 wrote:
Tom Stormcrowe wrote:

Any favorites?

Graham's 20 year old is my preference.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bikeforums.net
Harlock999

Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Any port drinkers out there?   Any port drinkers out there? EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 9:42 pm

Tom Stormcrowe wrote:
Harlock999 wrote:
Tom Stormcrowe wrote:

Any favorites?

Graham's 20 year old is my preference.

Thanks! drunken
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WaydeG

WaydeG

Registration date : 2011-05-01

PostSubject: A couple more Ports to try    Any port drinkers out there? EmptySun May 15, 2011 12:00 am

Just finished a bowl of Balkan Sasieni and a few rounds of Noval Black. Man, it doesn't get much better than this. My other favorite is Taylor Fladgate LBV 2005. Both very nice and around $20 a bottle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StatHaldol

StatHaldol

Registration date : 2011-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Any port drinkers out there?   Any port drinkers out there? EmptySun May 15, 2011 9:44 am

I enjoy a glass of port also. I second the Graham's 20 year and I also like Graham's Six Grapes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Any port drinkers out there?   Any port drinkers out there? EmptySun May 15, 2011 10:29 am

Cheers! I need to try some more varieties, but right now, Sandeman's ruby port has been a regular for me. Hard to beat the price, and it's so easy to find.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WingRider

WingRider

Registration date : 2011-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Any port drinkers out there?   Any port drinkers out there? EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 1:26 am

There's a winery out here called Sheltons. They make their own port, and it is darned good. I know Total Wine stores in this area carry it, though it's much more fun to go to the winery and get it.

Salud
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Any port drinkers out there?   Any port drinkers out there? EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 6:11 am

WingRider wrote:
There's a winery out here called Sheltons. They make their own port, and it is darned good. I know Total Wine stores in this area carry it, though it's much more fun to go to the winery and get it.

Salud
http://www.sheltonvineyards.com/

Haven't had the current release, but the 2004 was indeed pretty yummy, tasting more like a Banyuls than a Port.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
jgmitchell

Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Any port drinkers out there?   Any port drinkers out there? EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 1:41 pm

Harlock999 wrote:
Two down, so many more to try...Any port drinkers out there? Dsc_0314

That Founder's Reserve is good. Another good one is Fonseca Bin 27.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Any port drinkers out there?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next