HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Natch

Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ? Empty
PostSubject: McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ?   McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 11:07 am

Anyone know this blend? I've never tried it and every time I look at the McClelland bulk list, I'm always visually drawn to the pix of it, as it's the only one that is gray, blocky sheets. It always reminds me of when I was a roofer and if we did a "rip-off and re-roof" there were piles of half destroyed shingles on the ground around the house and they looked just like the pix of this tobacco!

Now, I'm assuming it doesn't taste like asphalt shingles, but it sure looks like them to me. Anyway, can anyone give me their opinion on this blend, I'm curious.

Natch
Back to top Go down
Muddler

Muddler

Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ?   McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 11:41 am

I smoked some quite a while back. It is not as strong flavoured as one would imagine looking at the flakes. I'd expected something like Stonehaven. Not at all. In fact, I found it rather innocuous & didn't reorder.
Back to top Go down
Carlos
Admin
Carlos

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ?   McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 1:16 pm

These dark, dense flakes are difficult for me. I have a large amount stashed. If I can hit the zone right. The right air temperature, tobacco moisture level, humidity, barometric pressure, pipe of the day, whatever the magic is, then these are amazing blends. Rich and tasty. Cool smoking and long lasting.

I don't get it just right, and it's kind of cigarette like and tasteless.

Does not make any sense. They are the closest thing we have on this side of the pond to the Gawith plugs. As often as I can hit the zone with the Gawith plugs, why do I have trouble with those dark flakes made in the USA?

scratch

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ?   McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 2:52 pm

It's one of my favorites in this era of my smoking. I say that because while I once enjoyed the occasional Escudo, I was never drawn to dark stoved cakes on anything near a daily basis. Now, I can be. I reckon 2035 can be a temperamental blend, but once you figure out how you like to rub it out (or not), I think it delivers on a consistent basis and can be a regular smoke. I find it quite robust and tasty, but it isn't as knock-down-drag-out as it looks. I'd recommend ordering 2 or 4oz and doing some experimenting. 2oz is probably enough, but its one of those tobaccos that can quickly change within a few months. You might find you like to let it rest. And I realize that is a luxury for some of us...ordering tobacco and then waiting six months to smoke it. Just something good to know about 2035.
Back to top Go down
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster
Slow Puffs

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ?   McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 6:49 pm

I'm one, not the only one, who would suggest 2035 is Dark Star in bulk. If not, it's very close.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ?   McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ? EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 5:06 am

Interesting thread here guys, I have not had a bout with it yet so I am all eyes here, Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Natch

Natch

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ?   McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ? EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 7:26 pm

Well, I ordered a pound with my last order, so we shall see what we shall see?

Natch
Back to top Go down
Sasquatch

Sasquatch

Registration date : 2008-12-14

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ?   McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ? EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 8:46 pm

If it's anything like the Navy Cavendish, and I have no idea if it is, then it's probably worth smoking but not gonig out of the way for.

Like Carlos mentions, I have had some transcendental moments with Navy Cav - the good bowls are stupendous. But the bad bowls, when the stars don't line up or whatever.... the bad bowls are harsh and flavorless. I haven't mastered this product.

I find McC's dark bacon-esque flakes a little difficult, and much as I dislike destroying a nice flake, I find I have to rub 'em out real good to get anywhere.
Back to top Go down
Kapnismologist

Kapnismologist

Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ?   McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ? EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 9:18 pm

As mentioned above by Slow Puffs, in my experience too 2035 (aka Navy Flake) and Dark Star are basically the same thing. I have yet to compare them side-by-side (I just cannot bring myself to open up a tin of DS and then a jar of 2035 just to compare them, because then I would be stuck with way too much super-stoved VA flake in open rotation, and since I only smoke it on occasion that would be a waste*). However, if you like DS, I would bet that 2035 would suit you just fine. I have a jar open right now (and have for some time).

Natch, if you want to do it when you get the order - pop and tin of DS (I'm sure you have at least one in the cellar), compare, and then let us know what you think.

*I'm a cheapskate, even in the name of science.
Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ?   McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ? EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 9:43 pm

I just picked up some 2035 from Mars, and this is from a brand new shipment. It hadn't been in their possession for 24 hours yet. This is as black as I've ever seen 2035. I even thought they sent me the wrong stuff, but then I smoked a bowl. No real point in this post other than sharing my amazement with the color.
Back to top Go down
Natch

Natch

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ?   McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ? EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 12:10 pm

Erik,

I'm like you, once I first open that aged jar or tin, I feel I have to smoke it with a reasonable amount of time, so I'm constantly finding "excuses" to not open that tin or jar! I'll buy a new Dark Star on my next order and compare them. The only tins of DS I have (and only a few) are pretty old and it wouldn't be a fare comparison with the younger 2035.

Natch
Back to top Go down
Natch

Natch

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ?   McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 9:34 pm

Well I got the pound I ordered. Even "young" as I assume it is, I really enjoyed it. It was a very gently yet tasty smoke. I perceive that with a few years on it, it would get even better.

To sum up my perception, I ordered two more pounds to age, so check back with me in a few years! Laughing

Natch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ?   McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ? EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 5:11 am

Natch wrote:
Well I got the pound I ordered. Even "young" as I assume it is, I really enjoyed it. It was a very gently yet tasty smoke. I perceive that with a few years on it, it would get even better.

To sum up my perception, I ordered two more pounds to age, so check back with me in a few years! Laughing

Natch

Yea Natch, in about 12 years or so!!!!! cheers cheers cheers cheers
The man is focussed!!!! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Natch

Natch

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ?   McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ? EmptyTue Nov 16, 2010 8:16 pm

Piet Binsbergen wrote:
Natch wrote:

Natch

No, forgetful! I store things away and a decade later find them (I'm always finding $20 bills in my sports coats and have no idea how they got there!). Laughing

Ah, who am I again?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ?   McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ? EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 12:40 am

Natch wrote:
Piet Binsbergen wrote:
Natch wrote:

Natch

No, forgetful! I store things away and a decade later find them (I'm always finding $20 bills in my sports coats and have no idea how they got there!). Laughing

Ah, who am I again?
lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Kapnismologist

Kapnismologist

Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ?   McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ? EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 11:40 pm

Natch wrote:
Erik,

I'm like you, once I first open that aged jar or tin, I feel I have to smoke it with a reasonable amount of time, so I'm constantly finding "excuses" to not open that tin or jar! I'll buy a new Dark Star on my next order and compare them. The only tins of DS I have (and only a few) are pretty old and it wouldn't be a fare comparison with the younger 2035.

Natch

It is quite a conundrum, isn't it? However, if you do happen to slip in a tin of young DS in your next order and then pop it to compare with what you already have in open rotation from the recent score of 2035, I know I would certainly be interested in hearing about it.
Back to top Go down

McClelland Bulk: 2035 - Dark Navy Flake ?
Page 1 of 1