HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Cigars Have Taken Me Captive!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Cigars Have Taken Me Captive!!   Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:24 pm

After smoking the pipe for 9 years and enjoying the whole experience immensely, cigars called to me one morning in early September: the call said, "you've got to smoke a cigar." This call was irresistible. I bought a couple singles of the Antano Dark Corojo, and I was hooked. Now I have two humidors and some 250 premium cigars in them. It has been very costly and I sold off 2/3s of my cellar to finance cigars. In the pipe world tobacco is cheap but pipes are costly; in the cigar world cigars are costly. I've bought boxes of cigars mostly costing ~$150.00 a box, and I also dropped $500.00 on 16 Padron 1964 Anniversary. I've only smoked one and am saving them to taste as my cigar palette develops.

I very much enjoy the whole experience of smoking a cigar while for 9 years I probably smoked only a half-dozen cigars, the enjoyment minimal to moderate except one smoke of the Antano 1970. I can't begin to explain this substantial change in what I smoke; it just happened. Cigars all taste the same, or so I thought. While pipe tobacco offers a world of taste, perhaps cigars offer but a country or a continent. They do taste differently, especially if you migrate from a dark Ecuadorian or Sumatran or Maduro wrapper, and as you know the wrapper accounts for 45-70% of the taste, to a natural wrapper.

At any rate I doubt I shall not be much present here unless the pipe calls me back. I've probably smoked 3 or 4 bowls since the cigar captivated me.

I've spent these 9 years of pipe smoking enjoying this and other predecessor pipe boards, and it is hard to say goodbye. I wish you all my very best in all your pursuits.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
velveteagle

Registration date : 2010-07-13

PostSubject: Cigars Have Taken Me Captive!!    Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:30 pm

Ride the wave and enjoy.. I used to smoke cigars all the time.. Had fun doing it.. But they cost too much for the good stuff on my budget right now.. Two years from now I will buy some and break out some old Rum.. Pipes are a joy to me.. And the Brothers are what fills in the blanks.. Take care.. cheers cheers cheers cheers
Chuck..
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.redbubble.com/people/velveteagle
Muddler

Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Cigars Have Taken Me Captive!!   Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:34 pm

Enjoy the cigars Mike - that's all that matters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bluedigital

Registration date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Cigars Have Taken Me Captive!!   Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:42 pm

Hey Mike, it's all part of the Journey, enjoy brother!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.deanswanepoel.com
Smokin' Blues

Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Cigars Have Taken Me Captive!!   Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:59 pm

I enjoy cigars also. I don't keep as many on hand as I do pipe tobacco, but I have a couple of small humidors that I keep a few favorites in. The flavors after you smoke a few become as numerous and subtle as different pipe tobaccos. It's a different world to explore, sit back and enjoy the ride.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Cigars Have Taken Me Captive!!   Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:00 pm

DonŽt fret, youŽll be back.... cigars get old very quickly. Haha. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skip48
Jig Master

Registration date : 2010-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Cigars Have Taken Me Captive!!   Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:09 pm

I use to smoke cigars a good bit and have a couple of humidors, but got away from them for the most part. However I ran into one not long ago that I had never tried when I was heavy into them and was surprised at how good these are and don't know why they are not over the price they are which I think is close to $150 a box. Rock Patel 1990 and here is a little on them...

As the oldest cigar in his vintage line, the Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 is blended with maduro broadleaf wrapper dating back to 1990.

one more statement from someone else...You'll be shocked that cigars of this caliber bring such a modest price tag.

I tried the Churchill and was just stunned that I had not found and tried them a long time back. Very nice smoke! Can't say about the other ones they make as I have not tried them, but I do still want a box of the 1190's.

Oh and they also all rated over 90 in Cigar Aficionado.

Skip
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thumpitjigs.com/
Smokin' Blues

Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Cigars Have Taken Me Captive!!   Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:17 pm

Skip48 wrote:
I use to smoke cigars a good bit and have a couple of humidors, but got away from them for the most part. However I ran into one not long ago that I had never tried when I was heavy into them and was surprised at how good these are and don't know why they are not over the price they are which I think is close to $150 a box. Rock Patel 1990 and here is a little on them...

As the oldest cigar in his vintage line, the Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 is blended with maduro broadleaf wrapper dating back to 1990.

one more statement from someone else...You'll be shocked that cigars of this caliber bring such a modest price tag.

I tried the Churchill and was just stunned that I had not found and tried them a long time back. Very nice smoke! Can't say about the other ones they make as I have not tried them, but I do still want a box of the 1190's.

Oh and they also all rated over 90 in Cigar Aficionado.

Skip

These are really good cigars. I have 2 or 3 put back and have smoked several. Rocky Patel has several really great sticks. I enjoy the sungrown and olde world reserve maduros too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Cigars Have Taken Me Captive!!   Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:20 pm

I smoked cigars for over thirty years before I discovered pipes.
I still smoke one or two a week, but at that rate I won't run
out til I'm about 110 years old. Good thing my son likes em.
Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Cigars Have Taken Me Captive!!   Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:33 pm

Happy Landings Very Happy

What a Face
Back to top Go down
eggman
Cornholio

Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Cigars Have Taken Me Captive!!   Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:08 pm

Mike, I too love a cigar. Those 1964 Padron anniversary in maduro are one of my all time favs. Although I can't burn one very often they are great. If you ever get to try a Fuente Opus-X go fer it they are great too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beaupipe

Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Cigars Have Taken Me Captive!!   Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:37 pm

I'm a cigar smoker, too--especially in the summer and when I'm traveling. But I've never thought of cigars and pipes as an either/or thing. For me, it's a both/and thing. Cigars are more convenient sometimes. Pipes are more enjoyable sometimes.

Sometimes I want beef. Sometimes I want fish. And sometimes I want to get down with a hot, skinny Vegan, and so I convince myself I want lots of plant life.

Then again, when I was married, I always had a wife and a mistress. Maybe I'm the one doing things wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Cigars Have Taken Me Captive!!   Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:21 pm

Hey, it works for the Italians!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cigarsarge

Registration date : 2010-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Cigars Have Taken Me Captive!!   Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:35 pm

I used to have in excess of 1000 cigars. I've sold or traded them for pipe tobacco or pipes until I only have 100 or so left. I only smoke one or two a week now.

Funny how you change as time goes by.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Falconer

Registration date : 2010-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Cigars Have Taken Me Captive!!   Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:50 pm

I smoked cigars like crazy in the 90's but went back to the pipe full time when it became too uneconomical. Plus I found i get a lot more kisses with pipe breath! Razz

Audrye Hepburn once said, "the bible doesn't state whether smoking is right or wrong but I'm sure even God enjoys a good cigar now and then."

Enjoy!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Cigars Have Taken Me Captive!!   Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:40 am

AB,
Ever find a home for all of that Irish Flake?????
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Cigars Have Taken Me Captive!!   Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:36 am

Brilliant AB, have not heard from you in a while, those cigars must be keeping you busy!!
Enjoy the ride brother!!!! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
bluedigital

Registration date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Cigars Have Taken Me Captive!!   Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:12 am

Got me a nice Flor de Copan Short Robusto for the Rugby Game today!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.deanswanepoel.com
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Cigars Have Taken Me Captive!!   Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:23 am

DoverPipes: pm sent.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stogiegila

Registration date : 2010-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Cigars Have Taken Me Captive!!   Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:33 pm

I started with cigars, transitioned to pipes then went back to cigars and after 10 years am transitioning back to pipes again.

I love cigars and still enjoy them regularly, I like the variety of tastes you get with pipe tobacco and pipe tobacco is far less expensive.

I find that I like cigars more in the summer and pipes more when the weather starts cooling off.

Try some of Don Pepin Garcia's smokes. They are great, very complex in flavors but a bit pricey.

I say, enjoy both, besides the few pipes I kept are still going strong after sitting in a drawer for 10 years. So going off and on with pipes is easy. Try that with a humidor full of cigars.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Cigars Have Taken Me Captive!!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: