HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Annoying comments directed at pipe smokers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Handsome Dynamite

Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Annoying comments directed at pipe smokers   Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:24 am

beebiz wrote:
Blackthorn wrote:
It's no problem at all! As I said, I pride myself on being uniquely odd amongst my friends, so I'd sooner cut off my own arm and eat it than let someone's opinions have any effect on my enjoyment of tasty, tasty pipe tobacco. Very Happy
cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

I naturally dress how I feel for that day, and smoke regardless. Suit somedays, but usually my functional worn clothes. Don't matter. Smoker all the same. Just not sure about why people connect pipe smoking to classy. Only one or two of my friends is really into pipes, I stand out and don't mind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Max

Registration date : 2010-05-10

PostSubject: Re: Annoying comments directed at pipe smokers   Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:25 am

I started smoking a pipe when I was 18 and didn't look back. I've gotten mostly positive comments and most people just come up and start talking probably just to be around the aroma. I do get some looks though but they've never bothered me because you can't figure out what a person is thinking and if you try you'll probably get it wrong anyway. I find it easier to only focus on the good comments/looks anyway - my day tends to go better that way.

I teach at a proprietary technical school and on breaks I'll go out and smoke with the students. No one, and I mean - NO ONE ever comments on the smell. They just talk with me then we all go back to class. When I did some training at another place, when they smelled the tobacco, the people who worked there would almost flock outside to start talking to me just to smell the pipe.

I find most of the people who have a negative reaction to the pipe probably have a negative reaction to A LOT of things and it's just one more thing to have a problem about. Just bless their pointed little heads and send them on their way, then sit back, relax, and think about how lucky you are to be in the "classy" minority of this unique brotherhood.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beebiz

Registration date : 2010-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Annoying comments directed at pipe smokers   Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:49 pm

Blue Max wrote:
I find most of the people who have a negative reaction to the pipe probably have a negative reaction to A LOT of things and it's just one more thing to have a problem about. Just bless their pointed little heads and send them on their way, then sit back, relax, and think about how lucky you are to be in the "classy" minority of this unique brotherhood.
Now THAT'S what I call a classy understanding and a classy reaction!!!!!!!!

Robert
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Annoying comments directed at pipe smokers   Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:03 pm

beebiz wrote:
Blue Max wrote:
Now THAT'S what I call a classy understanding and a classy reaction!!!!!!!!

Robert
Dang bro's Now that was well said!!!!
Bravo!!!! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Annoying comments directed at pipe smokers   Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:40 pm

Greenleaf wrote:
Right on, beebiz. I must say though that being odd ain't a great way to make life easier, but piss on 'em, indeed. We are men, and smoking ain't a damn fashion statement. Sure would be nice if passers-by understood this.

Hey, I was out in lily-handed Far North Dallas waiting at a bus stop this morning, just leaning against a post and puffing away on a windcapped MM General while clipping my nails (while wearing my linen flatcap and Roy Orbison-ass sunglasses, if you wanna talk fashion) I looked over at a pretty brunette driving by in her little German car, she had been shooting me this look like I was a masturbating flasher on the train. My big pipe must have struck her deeply offensive. An oddly priceless moment.

That was what you did on Tuesday, right? Razz Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron

Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Annoying comments directed at pipe smokers   Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:45 pm

I sometimes get some disparaging comments but, more often than not, people think it is interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.aaronjoliver.tumblr.com
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Annoying comments directed at pipe smokers   Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:14 pm

Occasionally I hear "Nice pipe!" and wonder if it's sarcastic. Mostly kind words, though.

People who know me have said, "That's so You." And I can't exactly argue with that one, can I?

One... vagabond, shall we say, asked me for an ace off my pipe after I explained that no, I did not have any cigarettes. I was kind of dumbstruck by so many things about that. (All I had to do was show him the mouthpiece--it was a chewed-up yard pipe--and he understood this was not anything he wanted.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Greenleaf

Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Annoying comments directed at pipe smokers   Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:56 pm

DoverPipes wrote:
Greenleaf wrote:
Right on, beebiz. I must say though that being odd ain't a great way to make life easier, but piss on 'em, indeed. We are men, and smoking ain't a damn fashion statement. Sure would be nice if passers-by understood this.

Hey, I was out in lily-handed Far North Dallas waiting at a bus stop this morning, just leaning against a post and puffing away on a windcapped MM General while clipping my nails (while wearing my linen flatcap and Roy Orbison-ass sunglasses, if you wanna talk fashion) I looked over at a pretty brunette driving by in her little German car, she had been shooting me this look like I was a masturbating flasher on the train. My big pipe must have struck her deeply offensive. An oddly priceless moment.

That was what you did on Tuesday, right? Razz Razz Razz

Well, in no alternate reality can I see such a woman stopping to give a guy like me a ride of any kind. So, at least I had some fun with her. sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thegreenleaffiles.blogspot.com
Handsome Dynamite

Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Annoying comments directed at pipe smokers   Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:27 am

Doc Manhattan wrote:
Occasionally I hear "Nice pipe!" and wonder if it's sarcastic. Mostly kind words, though.

People who know me have said, "That's so You." And I can't exactly argue with that one, can I?

One... vagabond, shall we say, asked me for an ace off my pipe after I explained that no, I did not have any cigarettes. I was kind of dumbstruck by so many things about that. (All I had to do was show him the mouthpiece--it was a chewed-up yard pipe--and he understood this was not anything he wanted.)
Yeah, I've had people ask me for a take off my pipe. I'm like. Uuuuhhhhh. No.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greenleaf

PostSubject: Re: Annoying comments directed at pipe smokers   Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:04 am

Hey, I used to share my briar with dancers at the strip club. Happy smoking for me, too.
Back to top Go down
beebiz

PostSubject: Re: Annoying comments directed at pipe smokers   Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:55 pm

Handsome Dynamite wrote:
Yeah, I've had people ask me for a take off my pipe. I'm like. Uuuuhhhhh. No.....
The next time that happens, tell them that you will be more than happy to oblige them as soon as they allow you to have a take off their wife!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

On second thought... don't do that! These days, some of those nuts just mike take you up on the "trade!!!" affraid affraid affraid

Robert
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Blues

Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Annoying comments directed at pipe smokers   Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:39 am

beebiz wrote:
Handsome Dynamite wrote:
The next time that happens, tell them that you will be more than happy to oblige them as soon as they allow you to have a take off their wife!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

On second thought... don't do that! These days, some of those nuts just mike take you up on the "trade!!!" affraid affraid affraid

Robert

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Annoying comments directed at pipe smokers   Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:53 pm

Greenleaf wrote:
Hey, I used to share my briar with dancers at the strip club. Happy smoking for me, too.
Not Bill Clinton style, I hope... that'll oxidize a stem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
beebiz

PostSubject: Re: Annoying comments directed at pipe smokers   Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:57 pm

Aaaaahhhh.... the sweet taste of "Monkey Pie"... on a pipe stem!!!!! affraid affraid affraid

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Robert
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greenleaf

PostSubject: Re: Annoying comments directed at pipe smokers   Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:49 pm

Doc Manhattan wrote:
Greenleaf wrote:
Not Bill Clinton style, I hope... that'll oxidize a stem.

Ha ha, once after sharing aromatic burley and wine with a hot blonde, I got some free lap dances that usually go for a bit extra, her phone number, and her husband answering the phone!
Back to top Go down
*camoham

Registration date : 2010-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Annoying comments directed at pipe smokers   Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:15 pm

thought id revive this post.

i smoked my graybow at work a while back before things got really busy. anywho, most responses were positive. memories of grandfathers etc.

one lady commented "dont you have to be a grandpa to smoke a pipe?"

i replied, "Thats okay i am a grandpa, so i can get by with it!"

most know that i have 4 from my wifes side of the clan.

i have all the benefits of both worlds. some youth and the great things that come from being "Gampa" (Gampa's deep freezer is always sure to be stocked with cookies 'n cream ice cream).

camo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Blues

Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Annoying comments directed at pipe smokers   Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:34 am

Just today I was walking through the parking lot at Wally world and this young couple passed by and I overheard the girl say " Why can't you smoke someting manly like a pipe instead of those stinking damned cigarettes". That was pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Falconer

Registration date : 2010-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Annoying comments directed at pipe smokers   Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:02 am

New Smoker wrote:
Just today I was walking through the parking lot at Wally world and this young couple passed by and I overheard the girl say " Why can't you smoke someting manly like a pipe instead of those stinking damned cigarettes". That was pretty cool.

She didn't mention that Manly Roadmaster Beast of yours?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Annoying comments directed at pipe smokers   Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:42 am

Was in Gatlinburg last week, walking along the street puffing on a fresh fill from the Gatlinburlier, when I heard a guy behind me say, "Man I love the smell of pipe tobacco." Seems an uncle he was very fond of smoked a pipe. We had a pleasant conversation. Don't think I've ever had a negative comment when smoking my pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cody V

PostSubject: Re: Annoying comments directed at pipe smokers   Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:40 am

Centurian 803 wrote:
Was in Gatlinburg last week, walking along the street puffing on a fresh fill from the Gatlinburlier, when I heard a guy behind me say, "Man I love the smell of pipe tobacco." Seems an uncle he was very fond of smoked a pipe. We had a pleasant conversation. Don't think I've ever had a negative comment when smoking my pipe.

I saw quite a few men smoking pipes on the street while I was there, it was pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greenleaf

PostSubject: Re: Annoying comments directed at pipe smokers   Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:19 pm

Pipes may be famous for their pleasant to inoffensive aroma, but many bars and restaurants don't allow them or cigars. Just cigarettes. What's even more messed up is that cigs are so damn expensive that floor sweeping cheapies are getting popular. Plus which they're all fire safe and hence have no flavor nor do they hit hard enough so you almost might as well smoke the sorry ones. What smells more disgusting than a cheap cigarette?

The other week I was at a bar and grill place with an old friend and no pipes were allowed. I could never pass up an opportunity to smoke, especially at a restaurant these days, so I got a pack of Marlboro Reds from the vending machine and sucked 'em all down before I left the place. At least I was dining in a cloud of smoke, that's the way it should be.
Back to top Go down
yvesmary

Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Annoying comments directed at pipe smokers   Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:49 am

Around here you rarely see a pipe smoker.

What gets me is people who wink and nudge, "is that whacky tobaccy you're smoking", ha, ha, ha!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jack Straw

Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Annoying comments directed at pipe smokers   Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:34 am

Once I saw a guy walking out of a store here in Brooklyn with a rather nice looking small bent volcano in his teeth, and I gave him a smile and a nod. He completely misinterpreted me, and said, "It's not the green."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
onabullit

Registration date : 2010-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Annoying comments directed at pipe smokers   Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:04 pm

Here in Austin I almost every time I bring my pipe with me, I get asked for a hit (people around here seem to think all pipes are used exclusively for weed)... I would never sour my briars with filthy cannabis buds... That's what my bong is for!

That being said I think I have only seen a small handful of pipers under 30 in my entire life. It's such a forgotten pleasure, but many now a days are in too much of a hurray to relax and enjoy the great flavors a pipe can provide.

I do not smoke anywhere that I think my sidestream would be unbearable to others.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZombieWeinerDog

Registration date : 2009-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Annoying comments directed at pipe smokers   Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:53 pm

being a college student, i used to get looks and comments all the time when i stayed in the dorms, i have heard my fair share of sherlock holmes and grandpa comments. my RHC smoked a pipe. and only my close friends, girlfriend and my roommate know i smoke pipes. my girlfriends hates it because she lumps pipes and cigars with cigarettes. i rarely if ever smoke in public. i did hear a few "that smells so good" comments though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Annoying comments directed at pipe smokers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next