HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Full Virginia Flake

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Aaron

Number of posts: 563
Tobacco: Charing Cross, Kensington, Maltese Falcon, Abingdon, Penzance, Full Virginia Flake, and Union Square.

Pipe: Peterson Sherlock Holmes "Original", Stanwell Golden Danish, and the first pipe I ever owned.
Registration date: 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Full Virginia Flake    Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:51 am

Anyone else having trouble finding FVF... Again? I can't find it at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.aaronjoliver.tumblr.com
Cody V

Number of posts: 312
Tobacco: GLP Fillmore, SG Squadron Leader, McC Wilderness, 2015, PS LuxTwistFlake
Pipe: Cavicchi, Savinelli, Stanwell, Kaywoodie Collection
Registration date: 2010-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Full Virginia Flake    Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:56 am

Yeah, the limited supply we get in the US sells out pretty quick. Just have to keep an eye open.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trout Bum

Number of posts: 1303
Tobacco: Escudo, Blackwoods, Scottish Cake, IF, UF, 5100, 1792
Pipe: MUST-HAVE-MORE!
Registration date: 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Full Virginia Flake    Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:02 am

Yo, Aaron, what's up, Brother! Just smoked a bowl of some of that Three Friars you sent me (a while ago!) and was wondering about you. Good to hear from ya...

Regarding FVF, as far as I know, it is very difficult if not impossible to come by at the moment. S. Gawith blends in general are unavailable due to high demand/low to no supply. It's an ongoing problem. I'm not a big FVF fan, but if you run into any 1792, please let me know!

--TB
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron

Tobacco: Charing Cross, Kensington, Maltese Falcon, Abingdon, Penzance, Full Virginia Flake, and Union Square.

Pipe: Peterson Sherlock Holmes "Original", Stanwell Golden Danish, and the first pipe I ever owned.

PostSubject: Re: Full Virginia Flake    Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:13 am

Will do sir, 1792 you say?

Since FVF is so hard to find what other straight Virginia should I try? I've got my eye on Union Square.

I'm doing pretty well at the moment, thanks for asking.
Back to top Go down
Skip48
Jig Master

Number of posts: 451
Tobacco: Dunhill Flake, Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls, Escudo, Red Flake, Cannon Plug, Kendal Plug, Kendal Flake from both Gawith's, Opening Night, Manhattan Afternoon and Sunday Picnic. Solani 633, so many more too, LOL!
Pipe: Dunhill, Cavicchi, Caminetto's and Love my Micoli Auto, but also like my Peterson's.
Registration date: 2010-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Full Virginia Flake    Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:17 am

May want to give opening night a shot too. If you like just a little perique then also Solani 633 is very nice. I have not tried Union Sq. yet, but not another week will go by without me getting some to see.

Skip
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thumpitjigs.com/
Trout Bum

Number of posts: 1303
Tobacco: Escudo, Blackwoods, Scottish Cake, IF, UF, 5100, 1792
Pipe: MUST-HAVE-MORE!
Registration date: 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Full Virginia Flake    Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:19 am

Union Square is personally one of my favorites, I highly recommend it if you are searching for yummy straight va's. I also really like Blackwoods Flake, but the two are quite different. You can't go wrong with Union Square, so if you are even considering it, I say go for it. Let us know what you end up with, and your thoughts on said tobac!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Full Virginia Flake    Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:43 pm

Oh I will. When ummm, specific life changes occurred recently I pretty much stopped smoking my pipes and took up cigars and cigarettes. So all the tobacco I had has pretty much gone bad I think, which is a shame. It's time to rebuild I suppose.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Full Virginia Flake    Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:30 pm

As long as it's jarred properly, no way does tobacco go bad unless mold got into it, Aaron. (?)

Union Square, definitely !! cheers

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Full Virginia Flake    Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:52 pm

Wasn't jarred properly. I lost a bunch. Some still seem okay, just really dry. I think I still have a tin of Haddo's that is unopened. I never have been one for buying in bulk but I'm looking into it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Full Virginia Flake    Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:08 pm

Put it in a wire spaghetti strainer & hold it in a tea kettle steam column for 10 seconds or so. Re-jar. Check after 4 - 6 hours and adjust as necessary.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Full Virginia Flake    Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:17 pm

Union Square ordered. I'm pretty excited, it's pipe smoking weather here.
Back to top Go down
St Fiacre

Number of posts: 237
Tobacco: Boswell Sweet Tea, Escudo, Honeydew, Penzance
Pipe: Comoy 158, Erik Nording Free Hand, Churchwarden
Registration date: 2010-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Full Virginia Flake    Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:27 pm

Trout Bum wrote:
Yo, Aaron, what's up, Brother! Just smoked a bowl of some of that Three Friars you sent me (a while ago!) and was wondering about you. Good to hear from ya...

Regarding FVF, as far as I know, it is very difficult if not impossible to come by at the moment. S. Gawith blends in general are unavailable due to high demand/low to no supply. It's an ongoing problem. I'm not a big FVF fan, but if you run into any 1792, please let me know!

--TB
Wish I had seen this sooner I saw some today at the West Coast Pipe show too bad I will not be going back Sad but I will keep an eye out for it now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Full Virginia Flake    Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:10 am

Yak wrote:
Put it in a wire spaghetti strainer & hold it in a tea kettle steam column for 10 seconds or so. Re-jar. Check after 4 - 6 hours and adjust as necessary.

What a Face

This really works?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Full Virginia Flake    Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:50 am

On this end it does.

It won't be the same as if it had never dried out, but it will be back to proper moisture level again.

What a Face

Last edited by Yak on Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hunter5117

Number of posts: 706
Tobacco: Virginias and VaPers with lots of McClellands being my favs
Pipe: Brighams, Pete's
Registration date: 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Full Virginia Flake    Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:51 am

Aaron, there are a lot of ways to resurrect dried out tobacco. I have not tried it myself but I see no reason why the steaming method described would not work. Usually if I have some that is past its prime, I just lay it out on a towel and give it a very light spritz with a spray bottle - easy does it, it takes very little water to hydrate tobacco to the correct moisture.

You can also make a humidifying jar by glueing a piece of florists foam (green stuff from Wallymart) to the inside of a mason jar lid. I use my wife's biscuit cutter to cut a round piece. You can put your dried out tobacco in the jar and moisten the foam - it will hold a lot of water. Then, over a few days (check daily), the tobacco will absorb the water vapor from the foam until it gets back to smoking range. This way works good for small amounts that are hard to spritz with the small amount needed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Full Virginia Flake

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next