HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

An important lesson

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: An important lesson   Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:31 pm

Some where in this video is an important lesson that tells us how to be successful in understanding the world.
For the life of me, I can not figure out what the lesson is.
Can any one help me?
http://www.wimp.com/feynmanterms/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Falconer

Registration date : 2010-06-13

PostSubject: Re: An important lesson   Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:39 pm

BeeBiz! You shaved! cheers

sorry Bub, I can't help you. I tried watching this once before and lost interest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: An important lesson   Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:46 pm

Fascinating, and maddening...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bub

PostSubject: Re: An important lesson   Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:20 pm

After conducting extensive Internet research, I found an answer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0va4piKl4Lg&feature=related
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: An important lesson   Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:33 pm

He's explaining on the surface how Energy and Magnetism work and how everything is One....it all came from one energy source and is therefore all connected as we are ( although the Illusion of Superiority afflicts the world causing 90% of all our problems, wars, etc., because everyone thinks they/their religion or politics, are "better" than the other persons). Just Google up Metaphysics and read for days on how we are all connected, such as thinking about someone and then they call you up and you go, " Wow, I was just thinking about you"

thanks for posting the video link up, I had never heard Richard speak before, just read his books...has was a DEEEP thinker for sure. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: An important lesson   Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:24 am

The lesson is: when you have the undivided attention of a member of the Manhattan Project, a Nobel laureate in quantum physics, not to mention a pretty legendary professor of the topic, you don't ask him a question that an AP Physics textbook could easily answer

Dr. Feynman is having a little fun--sending a tenderfoot on a snipe hunt--but he does sneak the layman's answer in there, very briefly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Falconer

PostSubject: Re: An important lesson   Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:29 am

In the mean time we're tippin cows in Kansas! Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beebiz

Registration date : 2010-09-12

PostSubject: Re: An important lesson   Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:31 am

Bub wrote:
Some where in this video is an important lesson that tells us how to be successful in understanding the world.
For the life of me, I can not figure out what the lesson is.
Can any one help me?
http://www.wimp.com/feynmanterms/
Directly or indirectly, we are taught as small children that the most simple of questions that can be asked and answered are who, what, when, where, how, and why.

"Who" can simply be answered by offering an answer which includes such identifying nouns as him, her, me, you, they, or proper nouns such as Bill, Jim, Joe, or Sally.

"What" can simply be answered by offering answers such as the apple, the orange, the pipe, the dog, the cat, and so on.

"When" can be simplistically answered as non-spcifically or specifically as one wishes by offering answers such as in his lifetime, in the history of mankind, or at 12:01:21 PM Central Daylight Savings Time on May 22, 1999.

"Where" can be simplistically be answered as non-specifically or specifically as one wishes by offering answers such as in the Galaxy or at 208 Olney Street, Martin, TN 38237, 1.275 meters from Olney Street and dead center between the east and west property lines.

"How" can be simplistically answered as non-specifically or as specifically as one wishes by offering answers such as by going from McKenzie, TN to Rock Island, NY or giving intricate, all inclusive, turn by turn directions.

Those "simple" questions can be answered so easily because of the fact that there are certain parameters which somewhat "fence in" the answer that is to be given. But, when the question "why" is proposed, that is completely different. It is almost like opening a genuine Pandora's Box!

To put it as simply as I know how, in order to completely understand the question, "Why" and be able to answer it, you have to be able to get inside the questioner's mind and completely understand where he or she is coming from and what their understanding of other things is. At best, it is a horribly complicated question to ask. And, it is many times more complicated to answer... even when the "answer" seems quite simple.

For example, if a person asked "Why did he die?" To you or me, the seemingly simple answer might be, "Because he loaded a .357 Magnum pistol, put the barrel in his mouth, and pulled the trigger!" But, that answer alone does not explain, "Why!" After all, I knew a fellow in Shreveport, La that did this same thing... and, lived!!!! One might then say, "Well, it just wasn't the other guy's time to die!" In and of itself, that answer opens up a brand new Pandora's Box of "Whys!"

As for the life lesson or application contained in the video.. for me, it is obscurely obvious and simplistically complicated. There are many things that human beings do... on a daily basis... that we do not understand. We constantly ask ourselves... and others... "Why?" Why did she leave me? Why did he die so young? Why did he molest that little boy? Why did her mother sell her for drugs? Why did that guy pull into that parking space when it was quite obvious that I was waiting on it? Why did that idiot pass me in a no passing zone on that hill? Why did that woman get into the 10 items or less lane when she clearly had over 20 items? And, on, and on the "Why" questions go! And, there is one, and only one true way to answer them. You must get inside their mind... understand things with their level of understanding... in short... walk a mile in their shoes!!

Some of them (ie., child molesters and such) are folks who I will never understand. But, there are others that I try very hard not to get angry with or "judge." Instead, I try to understand them. For example, the guy who jumped into my parking space might have a child at home who is horribly sick and needs the medicine that "daddy" is in such a rush to get! The guy who passed me in the no passing zone while going up a hill might have just gotten news that his mother is in the hospital... moments away from drawing her last breath... and, he is risking life and limb to try and see her one last time! The scruffy looking woman who was so rude to me in the grocery store might be dreading the beating she is going to take once she gets home and her alcoholic husband finds out that she stole the last $10 out of his wallet to buy food... and, he now has no money for booze! We never know!!!!!

If we can remember that the answer to the question, "Why" is never a simple one... and, we can try to walk a mile in our fellow man's shoes... instead of rushing to judgment based on a brief encounter... we might find that there are many more decent people who inhabit this planet than their are bad ones!! And, the Earth would definitely be a much more enjoyable place to live!!!

UPDATE:
What is so scary to me is that I now know that this man is the well known "Mr. Double-Talk"... yet, I understood him well enough to glean the above information from his "joke" video!!! affraid affraid affraid affraid

Robert
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: An important lesson   Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:34 am

Yes, Valky, but *why* does the cow fall when you tip it? I could tell you that it's gravity, or I could tell you that it's actually the Earth's gravity attracting a less massive body, but even that would be oversimplifying, since gravity was already acting on the cow, and you were just shifting around which parts of the cow were closest to the Earth by exerting force on a fulcrum, but then... drunken
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Falconer

PostSubject: Re: An important lesson   Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:41 am

Falconer wrote:

Sorry that's probably not clear to the rest of the world. It's kind of like snipe hunting.
We tell outsiders that you can crawl through a barbed wire fence and sneak up on a bull that's standing and sleeping. If you hit it forecefully with both hands broadside you can knock it over. NOT! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bub

PostSubject: Re: An important lesson   Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:33 am

Finally an answer

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruins

Registration date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: An important lesson   Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:27 pm

Falconer wrote:

cheers cheers cheers

there it is, that superior thing... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: An important lesson   Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:17 pm

bruins wrote:
Falconer wrote:

cheers cheers cheers

there it is, that superior thing... Very Happy

scratch scratch scratch scratch
Do you guys tip sheep also?????????? uhhhhh no that be Australia!!!
Back to top Go down
bruins

Registration date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: An important lesson   Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:22 pm

Piet Binsbergen wrote:

i believe only cows are tipped. they do other things with sheep. i'm not sure exactly what though the reference pops up from time to time. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: An important lesson   Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:06 am

bruins wrote:
Piet Binsbergen wrote:

i believe only cows are tipped. they do other things with sheep. i'm not sure exactly what though the reference pops up from time to time. Very Happy

>>>>>>>>>But Bru, they can be tipped and then..............UHHHH scratch scratch scratch
Back to top Go down

An important lesson
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1