HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What is the strongest heaviest English blend?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
lestrout

Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: What is the strongest heaviest English blend?   Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:50 am

Some blends I like that fit in this genre(s): Fairmorn's Lancer's Slices; C&D Pirate Kake; Grant's Emperor Norton; and Park Lane has several, with Bengal modeled after the eponymous Slices and PL 11012 among them. Then there are the Hermit's, notably Ten Russians and the just released Stimulus Package.

hp
les

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: What is the strongest heaviest English blend?   Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:39 pm

Stogiegila wrote:
beaupipe wrote:
Stogiegila wrote:
I know, Piet. I just wanted to add it to the mix. This way I can compare the old classic to Exhausted Rooster and Bald Headed Teacher. Very Happy

thanks for watching my back bro!

No Walnut?

Who's Walnut? Never heard of it. Or the Uhle's either Embarassed

Uhle's is one of the older B&M still operating in North America. They have some wonderful, hand-made blends, and I think Bishop's Move is their best in the latakia area. Though I find it very full and flavorful, I don't find it strong in taste. Very rounded edges and everything seems to meld nicely, it's my favorite latakia blend these days. Their #300 Cubed Burley is also wonderful.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stogiegila

Registration date : 2010-10-13

PostSubject: Re: What is the strongest heaviest English blend?   Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:08 pm

Thanks Natch,

More to add to the list Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LIPIPE

Location : Setauket,Long Island and upstate Granville, New York
Registration date : 2010-12-18

PostSubject: New McClelland Blends I've tried   Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:21 pm

I have recently been smoking Wilderness, Nocturne and Three Oaks Syrian. Wilderness is a new blend that gets good reviews, Nocturne is a Kansas City Pipe Club blend and Three Oaks has been around for a while but the more recent addition contains Syrian Latakia. I'm partial to English/Balkan blends and I'm a latakia lover so these tobaccos are right up my alley. Nocturne is a sleeper and most guys have not heard of it but I can say of the three blends it is my personal favorite.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: What is the strongest heaviest English blend?   Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:39 pm

Strongest heaviest English blend. A re-creation of dunhills A11010 now made by Park Lane Tobacconist.
Heavy duty
cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigbaldhead

Registration date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: What is the strongest heaviest English blend?   Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:49 pm

It's nice to see that some of you are into the Old Dog, as I just got my first tin today. If I hadn't just lit up a lovely Va Flake, I'd have to pack a bowl right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smoker99

Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: What is the strongest heaviest English blend?   Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:34 am

For a true English, and not just a lat bomb, Dunhill London Mixture, Dunhill Nightcap, Uhle's Bishop's Move, and GLP Quiet Nights. Dunhill London Mixture is the benchmark as far as I am concerned.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tock the Always

Registration date : 2010-05-23

PostSubject: Re: What is the strongest heaviest English blend?   Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:09 am

Speaking of Quiet Nights, I just got my first tin. It is amazing. When I first lit it up I thought, "aw, just another latakia heavy blend..." but it gets so good. New favorite English for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lazarus Long

Registration date : 2010-12-23

PostSubject: Re: What is the strongest heaviest English blend?   Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:39 pm

I find that the Savinelli English Mixture is much stronger than any of my other English's including Dunhill Nightcap, Frog Morton, and Penzance
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sorringowl

Registration date : 2010-08-08

PostSubject: Re: What is the strongest heaviest English blend?   Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:38 pm

The heaviest Lat I have tried to date is without a doubt, Captain Earle's Ten Russians. Whoa! Talk about a Lat bomb. Ten Russians will knock you on your -ss! Good, quality tobacco but make sure you don't smoke this on an empty stomach (a steak and potatoes meal prior to smoking is probably the right way to go).

Wilderness is very smooth, a blend I smoke all the time and full of flavor (as is Maltese Falcon--these are two of my favorites!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: What is the strongest heaviest English blend?   Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:51 pm

sorringowl wrote:

Wilderness is very smooth, a blend I smoke all the time and full of flavor (as is Maltese Falcon--these are two of my favorites!)

I just tried Wilderness tonight...it just moved into my top 5 list
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikem
The Coordinator

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: What is the strongest heaviest English blend?   Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:25 pm

IMHO a couple of the "richer" tasting latakia blends would be Bufflehead Snow Goose, London Blend 1000, Old Ironsides, Fairmorns Lancers Slices and Bill Baileys Balkan blend. The only one that I know of that is still available is the Lancers Slcies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipeDreams

Registration date : 2011-06-11

PostSubject: Re: What is the strongest heaviest English blend?   Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:33 am

I love the Lancer's Slices. Smokes like a dream, stays lit and tastes incredible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cakeanddottle

Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: What is the strongest heaviest English blend?   Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:59 am

full? Ten Russians
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cakeanddottle.com
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What is the strongest heaviest English blend?   Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:43 pm

For me it was the old Dunhill Nightcap. Still have an unopened tin I need to get to one of these days.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
zunismoke

Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: What is the strongest heaviest English blend?   Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:13 pm

I will go with Ten Russians and Bishop's Move.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What is the strongest heaviest English blend?   Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:04 pm

Bishops Move has been mentioned several times here. I'm reasonably familiar with it and have some right now that I hit on every so often.

Frankly I don't feel it's all that full. In fact I'd put it in the med category, at least for my tastes. Very nice, well balanced, somewhat complex, but heavy.....not.

Many of the others listed here I haven't tried, so wtf do I know?!

jocolor

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
cakeanddottle

Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: What is the strongest heaviest English blend?   Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:33 pm

I have a lot of unopened tins, but so far the fullest I have tried that I also thought was a fine smoke was Peretti's Omega. I also enjoy the Old Ironsides I have, but it's five years old so I am sure it is mellowed quite a lot. I don't find the OI I have to be particularly full. Smoky but mellow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cakeanddottle.com
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What is the strongest heaviest English blend?   Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:43 pm

Smoker99 wrote:
For a true English, and not just a lat bomb, Dunhill London Mixture, Dunhill Nightcap, Uhle's Bishop's Move, and GLP Quiet Nights. Dunhill London Mixture is the benchmark as far as I am concerned.

The Lane Dunhill London Mixture was a staple here at chez Brewdude. Without a doubt my go-to English choice about 10 years ago. I even took a couple tins with me on my holiday in the UK back in '01. Talk about taking coals to Newcastle!

Recently got in a tin of the new Orlik stuff, but haven't opened it yet. Need to correct that soon!

Exclamation

Right now, I seem to reach for P&W Churchill and #78 for English blends. While they're not especially full bodied (at least to my taste) they do have je ne sais quoi...

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
new2thepipe

Registration date : 2011-07-20

PostSubject: reply   Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:45 pm

from what iv heard petersons irish flake is really stronge
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dottleman

Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: What is the strongest heaviest English blend?   Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:19 pm

Agree with Tim. I loves me some Odyssey. I am fortunate to have stocked up on Penzance whenever I could and I always fall back to that as my go to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fumo bro

Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: What is the strongest heaviest English blend?   Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:53 am

Dunhill #73. I used to order it from Dunhill's store in London, but that was years ago. I have one tin left. Here is the description from tobacco reviews:

"The fullest flavoured 'English Mixture', which is recommend for an evening smoke. Over 52% Latakia, with Cavendish, Virginias, Perique, and Oriental leaf."

It is the large proportion of Latakia which makes this blend strong. The other components come across mildly but it's hard to say since it seems like the Latakia is drowning out the other components.

Did anyone mention Margate? That is a full-flavored blend all around: a good portion of quality Latakia blended with rich Virginias - heavenly cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: What is the strongest heaviest English blend?   Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:05 pm

Margate is probably the heaviest English I smoke on a regular basis. What about C&D Star of the East? I haven't tried it yet but I just bought a sample and it sure smells lat heavy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim_Haggerty

Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: What is the strongest heaviest English blend?   Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:38 pm

Star of the East is pretty good Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LIPIPE

Location : Setauket,Long Island and upstate Granville, New York
Registration date : 2010-12-18

PostSubject: Re: What is the strongest heaviest English blend?   Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:01 am

GLP Odyssey will deliver a solid latakia treat. I would suppose that would place it in the heavy English category. It's a great smoke, however, fairly one dimensional. If you love latakia that is the "main" dimension necessary to fill a large bowl just before sack time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

What is the strongest heaviest English blend?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next