HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What is the strongest heaviest English blend?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
SailorJack

Registration date : 2008-10-14

PostSubject: Re: What is the strongest heaviest English blend?   Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:49 am

When I used to be a Latakia Freak years ago CAO's Old Ironsides did the trick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mgtarheel

Registration date : 2011-09-13

PostSubject: Strong English   Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:06 pm

Capt. Earle's Ten Russians is right up there for STRONG
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lestrade

Registration date : 2011-10-09

PostSubject: Re: What is the strongest heaviest English blend?   Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:47 am

For me, hands down the full and rich award goes to GLP Lagonda.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cakeanddottle

Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: What is the strongest heaviest English blend?   Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:41 am

Westminster and Odyssey are Lat heavy, but extremely palatable.

To me, for both Latakia and nicotine, it's tough to top Old Ironsides and just about anything from the Captain Earle's line. I have an unopened tin of McConnell Latakia Flake, and it's supposed to be strong (not heavy).

Old Ironsides ages magnificently btw. At 5 years it transcends Lat bomb and becomes a fantastic, mature full Lat blend.

Funny how the stuff you used to think was heavy stops being heavy so fast. I thought Odyssey was heavy, for about 2 days. Ten Russians is really the only tobacco where that impression held up. I haven't smoked Pirate Kake though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cakeanddottle.com
jj1015

Registration date : 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Re: What is the strongest heaviest English blend?   Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:03 pm

Ten Russians is a very heavy blend, as others have noted, but I would put Compton's York Full Mixture at the top of my personal list. It doesn't have quite as much lat but -- as GLP so eloquently pointed out -- the lat content doesn't necessarily dictate the effect of "fullness." York Full has a very noticeable nicotine hit but most importantly it is a flavor bomb -- very full and very tasty. It's just a shame it costs a bit more than US blends and can be a pain to have imported....

I also concur with the recommendations for Odyssey. An absolutely superb, full-bodied course of latakia. Interestingly, while most smokers seem to feel it is one-dimensional, I actually detect a lot of complexity (not at the level of Magnum Opus or Wilderness, perhaps, but certainly not a simple blend, either). As the bowl burns down, I detect waves of lat, va, and a couple of distinct orientals that chime in with very distinct notes ... but hey, everyone's palate is a bit different!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
just ol ed
All Around Good Guy

Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: strongest   Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:30 pm

Smoked near 'em all. IMO without any doubt.....

Hermit Tobb "10 Russians".

Ed Duncan, Batavia, NY
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smokey422

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: What is the strongest heaviest English blend?   Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:31 pm

If your definition of strength means Latakia content, my no. 1 choice would be Pirate Kake, followed by Old Ironsides.

Smokey
Back to top Go down
View user profile

What is the strongest heaviest English blend?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3