HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 What's with the ads?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
MIKE MUNDAY

avatar

Age : 70
Location : EDMOND - OKLAHOMA
Registration date : 2014-01-29

PostSubject: FishFuzz - Tobacco Cellar   Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:45 pm

FishFuzz in Oregon - happen to check out your Tobacco Cellar - WOW!
What a selection of pipe tobacco - VERY IMPRESSIVE!

Make it a Super Sunday!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://MIKEMUNDAY.COM
Stick

avatar

Age : 47
Location : 'Blighty'
Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:39 pm

Anyone seeing ads again? Not checked on my laptop but they're here on my phone...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:24 pm

Yes, seeing ads even though I'm logged in. Haven't had this happen before until just now. WTF???



Cheers?

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Stick

avatar

Age : 47
Location : 'Blighty'
Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:33 pm

Exact same Rande. On my lap top too...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DireWolf

avatar

Age : 44
Location : NW Oregon
Registration date : 2015-01-13

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:46 pm

Yup.

Keep thinking I'm not logged in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:03 pm

DireWolf wrote:
Yup.

Keep thinking I'm not logged in.

Ya, they would only appear if I wasn't logged in. Once that was done, no ads.

Question



Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:09 pm

I only see one ad at the top bellow the BoB header and it's there before and after I log in. It's always been that way since I joined Twisted Evil MEH Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Ascension Parish
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:15 pm

Easy enough to ignore.
I don't mind, if it keeps the lights on. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:31 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Yes, seeing ads even though I'm logged in. Haven't had this happen before until just now. WTF???



Cheers?

RR

Same here sir and said the same thing too but, probably loader. 5)
God I hate ads, reminds of the days AOL and of dial up. No
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Stick

avatar

Age : 47
Location : 'Blighty'
Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:22 pm

So what's changed chaps to make the blighters suddenly appear?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin
avatar

Age : 60
Location : Chestnut, IL
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:40 am

Not a clue. I can only assume you guys are not running the AdBlock Plus add-on. You are right about being logged in, you should not see them. Forumotion may have been doing something to the servers yesterday.

_________________


"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:43 pm

If it's really all that bad, maybe all you folks that are bothered by them should PAY for using the Forum? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:16 pm

monbla256 wrote:
If it's really all that bad, maybe all you folks that are bothered by them should PAY for using the Forum? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Catch me at the first of the month and let me know how much, always glad to support something I enjoy, even though your here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
DrT999

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:18 pm

Carlos wrote:
Not a clue.  I can only assume you guys are not running the AdBlock Plus add-on.

The what? (still confused by technology after being on-line for 22 years)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
RobJ

avatar

Location : Mukilteo, Washington USA
Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:38 pm

I didn't notice any ads when logged in until a few days ago. Ads were there until I installed Adblock Plus a few minutes ago. That did the trick even though I already had the IE popup blocker enabled.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:57 pm

It's not necessarily a sore point to have the ads, just that I was used to doing without them for all this time since I joined. And they seem to crowd in sometimes at the top and even change the colors of the forum thread headers, if that's the right term. Distracting to say the least.

Not sure if I can install these ad blockers some of you speak of. Just had a computer geek upgrade my OS and would have to defer to him to see if that could be accomplished.

In any case I'd be keen to lose the adverts.



Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:35 pm

Brewdude wrote:
It's not necessarily a sore point to have the ads, just that I was used to doing without them for all this time since I joined. And they seem to crowd in sometimes at the top and even change the colors of the forum thread headers, if that's the right term. Distracting to say the least.

Not sure if I can install these ad blockers some of you speak of. Just had a computer geek upgrade my OS and would have to defer to him to see if that could be accomplished.

In any case I'd be keen to lose the adverts.



Cheers,

RR

BD, Don't use Ad Blocker if your running Firefox, it uses too much memory on some PC's and led to my problem of not being able to see most members avatars. And most other ad blockers are junk. I'm afraid we'll just have to deal with the cockamamie ads. Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:37 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
It's not necessarily a sore point to have the ads, just that I was used to doing without them for all this time since I joined. And they seem to crowd in sometimes at the top and even change the colors of the forum thread headers, if that's the right term. Distracting to say the least.

Not sure if I can install these ad blockers some of you speak of. Just had a computer geek upgrade my OS and would have to defer to him to see if that could be accomplished.

In any case I'd be keen to lose the adverts.



Cheers,

RR

BD, Don't use Ad Blocker if your running Firefox, it uses too much memory on some PC's and led to my problem of not being able to see most members avatars. And most other ad blockers are junk. I'm afraid we'll just have to deal with the cockamamie ads. Suspect

Thanks for the intel Ron.


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
desertpiper

avatar

Age : 56
Location : tucson, az
Registration date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:47 pm

I've logged out then back in and still see them. Is this going to be fixed any time soon?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

avatar

Age : 47
Location : 'Blighty'
Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:52 am

I haven't changed my pc settings and it sounds as though others haven't either. That many of us are now seeing the ads suggests that something has changed on the forum. I'm not too sure how this forum is administrated, but if there had been a significant change like this should we not have recieved a 'heads up'. I understand the forum is free and is a superb community to be a part of, but for me these ads tarnish the experience and detract from the personal nature of the forum that I have come to enjoy so much. I for one would like to see them go...

desertpiper wrote:
Is this going to be fixed any time soon?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:50 pm

Just wanted to point out that the addition of the adverts seems to be slowing the download times of the threads on my end. What can be done to eliminate them altogether?

From what I've gathered the adblocker seems to create more problems.

Is there anything that can be done?

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Carlos
Admin
avatar

Age : 60
Location : Chestnut, IL
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:47 am

Ok. It is quite possible that we are talking about two very different kinds of advertising. One is the ads on the website. Those should not be visible if you are logged in. Clean your cache if you do see them and log in again.

Google has been my favorite search engine. But lately they and other search engines are at war. They are taking over your browser and filling your screens with lots of ads. Perhaps in a row across the bottom. Or allowing in some malware that is popping up ads all over. This is probably what you are complaining about. I have a fairly new Windows 8.1 machine that I am struggling to keep free of that crap. It's my hamshack computer and does some Internet surfing. But the latest updates of various software and other crap is changing, or offering to change my search engines. And a malware bug also got though the net. It just wanted to flood me with ads. A pain in the ass is what it was.

I wish I could run Linux on all my machines. But even there, they have been trying to change my search engines to let in more ads.

So take a good look at what you are complaining about. It's probably not the Forumotion website.

_________________


"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:05 am

Carlos wrote:
Ok.  It is quite possible that we are talking about two very different kinds of advertising.  One is the ads on the website.  Those should not be visible if you are logged in.  Clean your cache if you do see them and log in again.

The ads I see are exacty in the same place & type as the ads I see when I'm not logged in.
Ad blocker is turned on on my work computer.
Cache cleaned out.

Ads still appearing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:35 am

This is what we're seeing Carlos. This is just one of the ads as it changes.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Carlos
Admin
avatar

Age : 60
Location : Chestnut, IL
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:30 am

Curious. The only way I could see that ad, or the banner, as it changes. Was to log out and kill Adblock Plus. I then logged back in and it disappeared even with Adblock Plus off. That is the way it is supposed to work.

I checked the main admin screen dealing with ads and it is set to limit ads. Guests see them.

If you are seeing them, it is something in your browser that is allowing them though. Emptying cache has always been the standard fix. I will try to replicate this problem when I am in the hamshack on the Windows machine and see if I can figure it out. But it's gonna take time.

_________________


"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
What's with the ads?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: