HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

For those who know that Liverpool isn't just a pipe shape

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Vito

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: For those who know that Liverpool isn't just a pipe shape   Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:10 pm

It's bloody well about time. The Beatles are on iTunes.

Sheesh...finally! I'm betting the sales on thebeatles.com were sucking so bad it was giving interstellar space a run for its money. That has to be the case. The margins on iTunes are great for Apple shareholders, but there are only two reasons to place your stuff there:
  1. You need the market exposure.
  2. You'll make up for the low profit margin on vastly increased sales.
In this case, I think it's mostly the second factor, but there's also at least a bit of the first one. It's not that The Beatles are exactly an obscure group, but there are lots of kids today who go "Huh?" when you mention The Beatles.

I know this because my kids tell me, "Dad...(so-and-so) doesn't know who The Beatles are! Can you believe it?"

Actually, yes I can. The world is full of irresponsible parents who don't raise their kids right. Wink

jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
bruins

Registration date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: For those who know that Liverpool isn't just a pipe shape   Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:13 pm

maybe this will make you feel better. my 16 year old has just 'discovered' the beatles and loves them. we can thank guitar hero and date movie soundtracks for keeping these bands alive and current.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: For those who know that Liverpool isn't just a pipe shape   Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:59 pm

It's about time... hard to believe that the holdout stems from a decades-long trademark grudge (Apple Corp v. Apple Computer.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Vito

PostSubject: Re: For those who know that Liverpool isn't just a pipe shape   Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:56 pm

Doc:

As you probably know, the legal issues were settled long ago. But I think you're probably right in your assertion that there was some lingering resentment on the Apple Corp. side.

For Apple Computer's part, Steve Jobs has always been a huge fan of The Beatles, and by all reports he has consistently bent over backwards in letting "The Beatles, Incorporated" (or whatever the lawyers who run the show call it) know that he wants The Beatles' music on iTunes.

I'm not sure of the details, but as far as I know the reason they didn't go for it was not because of residual grudgemanship; rather, it was because they wanted to maintain an exclusive lock on the distribution. I presume that they thought they could make more money that way. I don't begrudge them their right to make that choice, but I don't think it was the smartest move, business-wise.

In fact, I think it backfired on them. I can only speak for myself, but I haven't been terribly motivated to patronize TheBeatles.com. The whole thing...well, feels wrong to me. The profound lack of anything Beatle-ish in the entire spirit of the operation has been obvious one of those things that's conspicuous in its absence.

With The Beatles' music on iTunes, at least I know that it's being supported by someone who's passionate about the music for its own sake.

jocolor
Back to top Go down
Vito

PostSubject: Re: For those who know that Liverpool isn't just a pipe shape   Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:24 pm

Brothah bruins wrote:
maybe this will make you feel better. my 16 year old has just 'discovered' the beatles and loves them. we can thank guitar hero and date movie soundtracks for keeping these bands alive and current.
Well, I'm not sure it helps to mitigate the overarching fact that there's a generally widespread ignorance of history musical or otherwise in this sort of "culture" that we've got, which seems to be irrevocably afflicted with terminal triviality. But it is good to know that yer progeny somehow swerved onto the right track. Surely, Dad must have had something to do with it...no? Wink

I'll tell you how it happened here in VitoSpace. Unbeknownst to me (but knownst to Mrs. Vito), she had...er, "subverted" our kids early in their kidhood by glomming onto a video of the movie Yellow Submarine, with which the kids promptly fell in love. I was clueless about it, being an unreconstructed workaholic in those daze...by which I mean I spent more time "at the office" than I did at home (a condition I have since corrected). I had no idea that, right there under my nose, were a couple of budding little Beatles fan girls.

Anyhow, one day I was working in my studio and playing some Beatles tunes I had loaded into iTunes from CDs. The kids, hearing the now-familiar sounds, rushed in, exclaiming in amazement, "Dad...you like The Beatles? Awesome!" (Apparently, it was a shock that Dad could have managed to stumble into such a state of hipness. Shocked )

To which I replied, "Lemmee explain something to youse guys..."

jocolor
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: For those who know that Liverpool isn't just a pipe shape   Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:43 pm

Veet's back ! cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: For those who know that Liverpool isn't just a pipe shape   Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:31 pm

I got really excited just now, thought this thread was about Liverpool FC, but alas, it's just the Beatles. Don't get me wrong, I love the Beatles, but right now, I'd rather hear "You'll Never Walk Alone" ringing triumphantly at Anfield instead of Norwegian Wood on an IPod. Oh well...

Last edited by Harlock999 on Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: Re: For those who know that Liverpool isn't just a pipe shape   Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:42 pm

Yak wrote:
Veet's back ! cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

What a Face
Indeed...and trusting, as always, that he may rely on his Yakstopher to keep him honest. Smile

jocolor
Back to top Go down

For those who know that Liverpool isn't just a pipe shape
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1