HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

How to light my pipe

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: How to light my pipe   Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:25 am

Falconer wrote:
OLD BOY lighter!!!!

I'll be damned if I'm gonna traipse around the country lighting your pipes for you guys! Mad
The wife did once say though I was her perfect MATCH!
But then that was back in 1969. I don't dare ask what she thinks now. Embarassed
uhhhhhhh??????? scratch scratch scratch
Back to top Go down
Hunter5117

Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: How to light my pipe   Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:04 am

I'll chime in late here with a vote for the good old match. I always carry a standard Zippo with me, like money and a pocket knife, I never leave home without it. But my choice to light my pipe is a match, lets me hold the flame against the side of the bowl where sometimes I get a stubborn bit of flake that didn't want to take fire, without fear of charring the wood.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: How to light my pipe   Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:59 pm

Some fluids for the Zippo lighters have more oily taste. Always a good habit to light it and let it burn that off for a couple seconds.

Any Zippo can be a pipe lighter. Send it in to them and ask for the insert. They will refurb your old lighter and send a brand new insert back with it. No charge.

I have not held one of those butane inserts for the Zippo. But some of the fellows around here have used them. I think the fuel is on every time you open the lid. If you have one of those habits of flicking open your lid while standing around with it in your hand. Then you will use up a lot of fuel.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beebiz

Registration date : 2010-09-12

PostSubject: Re: How to light my pipe   Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:57 pm

Carlos wrote:
Some fluids for the Zippo lighters have more oily taste. Always a good habit to light it and let it burn that off for a couple seconds.

Any Zippo can be a pipe lighter. Send it in to them and ask for the insert. They will refurb your old lighter and send a brand new insert back with it. No charge.

I have not held one of those butane inserts for the Zippo. But some of the fellows around here have used them. I think the fuel is on every time you open the lid. If you have one of those habits of flicking open your lid while standing around with it in your hand. Then you will use up a lot of fuel.
Thanks for the idea, Carlos!! I've got an old Zippo that the hinge broke on this morning. Mad Mad Mad I know that when I've sent a lighter to them in the past, they've always replaced the insert. I'll just ask for a pipe insert to be put in this one!! Wink

I think you are right about the opening of the lid turning on the fuel. But, I never developed the "flicking" habit. So, that's not a problem. I just don't care for having to refill butane lighters! As I was filling my first one (years ago... a small, thin Calibri cigarette lighter), something happened (still don't know what) and the top blew part way off the can. Fortunately, the can was less than 1/4 full... and, it didn't explode! But, it scared the bejeebers out of me. And, I haven't cared too much for the thoughts of refilling a butane lighter since!! No Besides, I've got plenty of Ronson and Zippo lighter fluid around!! Wink

Thanks again for the suggestion!!!

Robert
Back to top Go down
View user profile

How to light my pipe
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: