HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

New Pipe Smoker from South Carolina

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: New Pipe Smoker from South Carolina   Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:35 pm

NS before you continue posting, go have a look at the moderator's link on the round table!!!
We need to respect their requests bro!!!
Back to top Go down
Big Dave's Deluxe

Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: New Pipe Smoker from South Carolina   Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:51 am

Welcome Matt!

Nice avatar! I bet that little guy can really load a pipe. This is a long post but something about your question made me feel that you deserved a long reply. So, hopefully you'll appreciate what I have written here for you and it will help you along in the adventure of hunting for the perfect smoke.

I've been researching and learning about pipes for about 2 years--this is nothing compared to most everyone else here. But like many people I have champagne taste on a beer budget. I agree wholeheartedly with Robert. Estate pipes are the way to go, especially if you want a high-grade pipe, (which I usually do) or want to get several low-to-mid grades. This way you won't break your bank. People will all tell you something different when it comes to what we all think is best in a pipe or tobacco blend. But we are all different and like different things. So, there will have to be some trial and error for yourself to some extent.
There are a lot of respectable pipe makers out there these days from the boutique hand-made pipes to the mass-produced factory-made pipes. You can spend $5.00 to $50,000.00 on a pipe. I think it's best to balance the characteristics of what you like and find them in the pipe you purchase within your budget.
Personally, I like to keep my pipe looking clean and well-kept. So, I don't tend to hold them in my teeth for a long time without holding them. Plus, I like a large bowl for long smokes, which a sizable pipe is hard to hold in the mouth freely anyway... I want the bowl to feel nice in my hand and not burn me, I want the smoke to be cool and mellow; not hot, I like the draw of the smoke through the pipe to be easy and feel regulated well. And I like the pipe to look like a piece or art. So, I end up gravitating towards middle grade pipes and upward. But this is what I like.
Just look around at what people are talking about here, look at what's for sale on ebay under estate pipes---just get ideas. Unfortunately, you don't normally get to test-drive a pipe before you buy unless you've got friends with pipes or know a cool person at a pipe shop that will work with you. SO, I'll tell you my personal favorites if you like similar characteristics in a pipe like what I described. In order of my personal favorites:
1. Ardor - my favorite brand - very nice smokers - never smoked one that was not at worst, an excellent smoker. They are mid grade or higher and so normally run $250.00 and up new.
2. Savinelli Signature
3. Radice or Bjarne Nielson
4. Stanwell - excellent for the price point here - go ahead and go for a legend series or a Nanna Ivarsson series
***Try to get whatever you can as a clean estate pipe -- my favorite trick -- talk to the guy/gal that sells the pipes at a tobacco shop and see what he personally smokes. 9 times out of 10, he'll pull out a really sweet pipe and show it to you, and everything they smoke is for sale because he/she wants to sell what they are personally smoking so they can justify buying something new. Pipe dealers are pipe-fiends and they have to constantly be buying something new. LOL. It's funny but true. They'll usually make you a great deal and they normally properly care for their pipes and have broken them in correctly.

Hope my opinion gave you some food for thought!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Big Dave's Deluxe

Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: New Pipe Smoker from South Carolina   Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:54 am

BlueMax-

What is that pipe in your avatar pic? I don't see it maned--that's a tough angle on that pics so I'm guessing a Joura or an S.Bang?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

New Pipe Smoker from South Carolina
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2