HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Thanksgiving Thoughts

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Vito

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Thanksgiving Thoughts   Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:20 pm

Brothah PD's posting of the the link to Garrison Keillor's Writer's Almanac page got me thinking, which is sometimes a dangerous activity; but in this case, it's relatively benign. I was thinking about how the range of sentiments regarding Thanksgiving run the gamut from the profound to the utterly trivial.

I confess that my own expectations about Thanksgiving typically run far closer to the trivial than to the profound. Sure...it's a cozy thing to anticipate the feast itself, and the warm glow of its companionship...a glow that is often aided and abetted by certain adult libations. Wink

But I do wonder how many of my fellow 'Merican humanoids see this day as something more than an officially sanctioned Day of Pigitude, wherein those of us who are done growing vertically commit ourselves in earnest to growing horizontally.

Anyhow, in case y'all are (understandably) caught up in the merriment of your own holiday flow, and you don't have time to read the whole page that PD linked, here's a morsel from it by a quintessentially American bard that is closer to the profound than anything I'm likely to cough up, Thanksgiving thoughts-wise:

Walt Whitman wrote:

Thanksgiving goes probably far deeper than you folks suppose. I am not sure but it is the source of the highest poetry. [...] We Americans devote an official day to it every year; yet I sometimes fear the real article is almost dead or dying in our self-sufficient, independent Republic.

Gratitude, anyhow, has never been made half enough of by the moralists; it is indispensable to a complete character, man's or woman's the disposition to be appreciative, thankful. That is the main matter, the element, inclination what geologists call the 'trend.'

Of my own life and writings I estimate the giving thanks part, with what it infers, as essentially the best item. I should say the quality of gratitude rounds the whole emotional nature; I should say love and faith would quite lack vitality without it.
...to which I heartily say, "Right on!", before I regress toward the trivial.

Oh...and if you're inclined to be thanking anyone/anything, don't forget to thank yer turkey*, who has a lot less to be thankful for.
    *...or, in Jason's case, your duck.

jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Thoughts   Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:01 pm

What He said.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Thoughts   Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:18 pm

Walt Whitman wrote:

Thanksgiving goes probably far deeper than you folks suppose. I am not sure but it is the source of the highest poetry. [...] We Americans devote an official day to it every year; yet I sometimes fear the real article is almost dead or dying in our self-sufficient, independent Republic.

Gratitude, anyhow, has never been made half enough of by the moralists; it is indispensable to a complete character, man's or woman's the disposition to be appreciative, thankful. That is the main matter, the element, inclination what geologists call the 'trend.'

Of my own life and writings I estimate the giving thanks part, with what it infers, as essentially the best item. I should say the quality of gratitude rounds the whole emotional nature; I should say love and faith would quite lack vitality without it.

How embarrassing for a man who made language his life. Only humans can infer, writing (or verbal statements) imply.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Thoughts   Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:19 pm

I think he was referring to the inference the reader takes away from his subject matter; that he intentionally puts forth material he hopes the reader can take a certain inference from. A great writer will try to take you somewhere that isn't obvious, but with the intent or hope that you arrive at specific things though experiencing the story. Besides, ol Walt was prolly deep into the nog when he wrote that drunken

On being thankful - You have to have at least a modicum of respect for your world, for those in your world, and for what happened to get you where you are and where you could have ended up, to be thankful for anything. Gratitude assumes concern, and there's damned little of that in this world today. But, enough to keep us afloat, apparently.

Maybe this thankfulness is filled with and borne of nostalgia, but it's still worth passing along to those open enough to be impressed by it.

Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Thoughts   Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:02 pm

Laus Deo!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/

Thanksgiving Thoughts
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1