HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Idea for a "Recommendations" resource

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Idea for a "Recommendations" resource   Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:56 am

beaupipe wrote:
Perhaps the mods can make the registration dates in the profiles
They are there, appearing right under your avatar when you post.

This is sounding like a bunch of spoiled children crying, pretty pathetic actually. Snarky? You have a young guy who is new here, has maybe 30 posts under his belt, who asks about doing something that's been done ad nauseum and is basically told so by a guy with many years of experience; a guy who will forget more about pipes than most people will ever learn, and the answer is taken by this new guy and a few other new guys as mean spirited. Listen, nobody is being mean, and George (LL) is being honest and is being brotherly by being honest with you. You can hunt high and low across this country and you'll not find a handful of people who know more about pipes and pipe smoking than George. You'll also not find more than a handful of men who'll have the willingness and capacity to engage you in enlightened conversation on the subject. Take a look around here and on the other forums and see what the heavy hitters - the real industry insiders and big time collectors - think about the man. You may want to suck it up and actually listen a little here, you might learn something. Brotherhood and good conversation do not share the same parameters as condescending babbling slop; in other words, yanking your chain and telling you what a wonderful idea it is because it would be unbrotherly and unkind to utter even a single negative word. That notion is childish and unproductive and is not conversation, it's gibberish.

Brotherhood, treating each other with respect and as men. Maybe it's the young age of so many of the recently joined members, I dunno, but I kinda think that a guy who actually has a good bit of knowledge but chooses to withhold it and offer up a slap on the back instead is simply mocking you. I'd take the honest, educated opinion and listen closely, but that's just me, maybe what you guys want is a false show of perpetual niceties?

Anyhow, if you boys really think that you're going to walk in here with you peach fuzz chins and change the tone of this place because it's not politically correct enough or "Happy Happy Joy Joy" enough for your liking you're in for a bit of a shocker. The foundation here isn't of warm fuzzies, that's the stuff of little boys.

puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Idea for a "Recommendations" resource   Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:24 am

Has everyone in this thread went as crazy as me???

Damn.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Idea for a "Recommendations" resource   Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:51 am

Take this as old fart (62) cynicism if you like, but younger guys tend to have a different outlook on the world and the possibilities in it than older guys just by virtue of age-related optomism/idealism. It makes communication difficult sometimes.

I took a blue collar job after grad school because I realised I could never teach in a little, rural college as I had imagined. Even if a job in one opened, the first thing they'd want me to do would be to recruit students -- mills need grist. And the sad, stark fact of the matter was that 19 out of 20 of the students there (minimum) would end up selling shoes or working for a lawn care company after four years, a useless degree and a crushing debt load because the field was so overcrowded even then (1980) and jobs so competitive that, having to play catch-up ball as others were honing the skills they already had under their belts, they'd never make the cut. Dreams are great but facts are facts.

If you advise someone with a classical music dream to become a lawyer or a doctor, make a pile of money, buy the great instrument a working musician could never hope to afford and enjoy playing it in a community orchestra, you have made yourself a bitter enemy. By being honest.

Same issue in a more familiar context : a kid in highschool who dreams of playing in the NFL had better get himself into Alabama, USC, Ohio State or (&c.). And excel there. If he's going to a school with an enrollment of 2,000 imagining that he's preparing for a career in pro football (because they're taking him through the motions), he's got a rude awakening ahead. Once in a blue moon, it happens. But the liklihood of it approaches nil.

I don't see much difference here, where we've got a guy with a deep knowledge of pipes and 20 years of IT experience in the big leagues advising that nobody can use a computer to derive meaningful information from arbitrary, ideosyncratic impressions. This being an unacceptable idea, the argument hinges on arbitrary, ideosyncratic impressions somehow not being arbitrary, ideosyncratic impressions because they'd be high-quality ones.

But there are so many variables involved that that's all they can ever possibly be. That, in the opinion of people who had this hashed out down to the nth degree before there was a BoB board at all. I can tell you, as what passes for an honest man these days, that Embarcadero is the single best tobacco made by anybody, anywhere. But what good does that do you ? If you try it and don't like it, next to none. It's the single best tobacco on earth -- to me. You're a whole different story with a different set of sensory receptors.

My good, long-time, respected pipe friends love stuff I wouldn't smoke on a dare. To these guys, weedage like GH Curly Cut, McB Navy Flake and Orlik Golden Slices are the good stuff. To me, smoking them would be the equivalent of eating road kill.

Raw.

And that's what it boils down to, in the end.

What a Face

Edit to add : and those are their favorites this year. A couple years ago the list was different. In a few more, it will be different again.

Back to top Go down

Idea for a "Recommendations" resource
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: