HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

In the category of "best cheap whiskey," I nominate....

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

In the category of "best cheap whiskey," I nominate.... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In the category of "best cheap whiskey," I nominate....   In the category of "best cheap whiskey," I nominate.... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 7:00 pm

Not really fair to compare $10 whiskeys to $20+ whiskeys. Doesn't seem like much of a price jump, but in the non-Scotch world, it's huge. The Old Forester, Old Crow, Evan Williams, etcs of the world are never going to compete with Buffalo Trace, Bulliet, or Eagle Rare, Woodford Reserve, Bernheim, the higher Wild Turkey blends, for example. Those are for an entirely different conversation...unless we're facing different value of the dollar and socio-economic confusion.

I'd like to try that Old Taylor 6. I don't think I've seen that around here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ol'Dawg

Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: In the category of "best cheap whiskey," I nominate....   In the category of "best cheap whiskey," I nominate.... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 9:19 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
Not really fair to compare $10 whiskeys to $20+ whiskeys. Doesn't seem like much of a price jump, but in the non-Scotch world, it's huge. The Old Forester, Old Crow, Evan Williams, etcs of the world are never going to compete with Buffalo Trace, Bulliet, or Eagle Rare, Woodford Reserve, Bernheim, the higher Wild Turkey blends, for example. Those are for an entirely different conversation...unless we're facing different value of the dollar and socio-economic confusion.

Just wondering where you can buy Old Forester for $10 a 750ml bottle?
It's about $18 a bottle here.

Also, all the other premium sipping bourbons you listed are start at about $25 and go up from there. (Bernheim is not a bourbon) So in my previous posting, Buffalo Trace is a "cheap" premium sipping bourbon at $20 and probably the "cheapest" gold medal winning sipping bourbon a person can find.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: In the category of "best cheap whiskey," I nominate....   In the category of "best cheap whiskey," I nominate.... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 9:26 pm

Ol'Dawg wrote:
Just wondering where you can buy Old Forester for $10 a 750ml bottle?
It's about $18 a bottle here.
I haven't shopped around for it because I don't care much for it. My usual joint, Woodman's Foods, sells it for $10.79 or $11.79 per fifth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
williamcharles

williamcharles

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: In the category of "best cheap whiskey," I nominate....   In the category of "best cheap whiskey," I nominate.... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 2:03 am

Two Kinds of Evan Williams. There is the straight Evan Williams Bourbon and then there is the Even Williams Honey. Both are good. The honey is milder (lower proof) and sweeter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Foxfire

Foxfire

Registration date : 2011-01-29

PostSubject: Re: In the category of "best cheap whiskey," I nominate....   In the category of "best cheap whiskey," I nominate.... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 11:34 pm

I agree with Zeno Marx in that it is clear that what is "cheap" to some people really isn't that cheap.

I also will agree that Evan Williams Black Label is the best cheap whiskey. Much tastier than Rebel Yell (to me) or some of the other swill mentioned here. Seems more pure too, as I've encountered fewer hangovers from it than I have from some other cheap whiskeys, or even more expensive whiskeys, to be honest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: In the category of "best cheap whiskey," I nominate....   In the category of "best cheap whiskey," I nominate.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 12:32 am

I know some companies use artificial barrel flavorings to age the taste of their whiskeys. Developed by the same company that develops a lot of food flavorings. I believe there are four major flavoring labs in the world. I can't remember where I ran into that, bu it was either a documentary or a TV journalism piece. It was happenstance that the journalist noticed "oak flavoring", and the chemist explained it was used in whiskeys. Pretty disappointing, but it shouldn't be a surprise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: In the category of "best cheap whiskey," I nominate....   In the category of "best cheap whiskey," I nominate.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 2:33 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:

Here in PA (where the State runs the Liquor stores) Forester is $19, Eagle Rare is $23, Buffalo Trace is $24, Bulliet is $25. Evan Williams is the odd man out at $12.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SailorJack

SailorJack

Registration date : 2008-10-14

PostSubject: Re: In the category of "best cheap whiskey," I nominate....   In the category of "best cheap whiskey," I nominate.... - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 8:22 pm

Just bought a bottle of White Horse Scotch. For less than $15 it is quite drinkable. It supposedly has the famed Lagavulin and Talisker in the blend. If you like a lot of peat in your scotch than this may not float your boat but overall this is a keeper. Much better than JW Red, Dewars, or J&B.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CLFman

CLFman

Registration date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: In the category of "best cheap whiskey," I nominate....   In the category of "best cheap whiskey," I nominate.... - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 10:30 pm

Damn... I am jealous... Eagle Rare goes for 30 bucks plus in NYC and in CT....

That is my favorite.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

In the category of "best cheap whiskey," I nominate....
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2