HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

windows phone 7

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: windows phone 7   Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Anyone have one?

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: windows phone 7   Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:04 pm

My cousin is now a Windows 7 developer for Microsoft after they killed the KIN. He's really just now starting to playing with the different hardware platforms so I'm kind of waiting to hear his impressions of them. Doubt it will sway me from the iPhone or a Android platform come upgrade time but I'm still interested.

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: windows phone 7   Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:32 pm

J.. all phanboism aside... you NEED Android.

I'd go Android (love my Captivate) but they are hovering on releasing duo core (g2 is out but its tmo ).. iPhone 4 is to prone to breakage ( and less than 6 months from the next iteration) looks like WP7 might be the answer, but i don't know it like the other two.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vercer

Registration date : 2010-09-26

PostSubject: Re: windows phone 7   Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:45 pm

Can't say on the W7 phone, I just picked up my new phone with Android 2.2 and apart from really poor battery life (<12 hours between charges under light-moderate use) I'm pretty happy with it. As good or better (again, except the battery) than my old Blackberry Curve it replaced.

iPhone on the other hand I won't touch, poor overall build quality and my least liked network.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

PostSubject: Re: windows phone 7   Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:04 pm

I originally was reluctant on getting the iPhone but AT&T didn't have an Android model at the time and I upgraded earlier than my two year contract. Having played with many of the Android phones, my favorite to date being the Evo, I'm still quite happy with the iPhone overall.

I am however a Google fanboy, always have been, so I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the latest and greats Android platform. I will say that their more popular applications don't seem as polished as the Apple equivalents but that's probably just a matter of maturity of the platform itself.

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: windows phone 7   Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:30 pm

Android schmandroid. Iphone YouPhone.

I don't get it. Ten keys with a mic at one end and a speaker at the other. They ring, you talk into 'em. You wanna call somebody, you enter a number and talk into 'em. What's this thing about telephones? Been around a hundred years now. Everyone alive today grew up with 'em. The new ones have buttons instead of a dial, don't have a cord, and fit in your pocket. So what? They're still telephones. Smart three year olds can use 'em.

Sheeesh. Ya'll are runnin' on like they're somethin' complicated. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frost

Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: windows phone 7   Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:36 pm

You can't even call them phones really anymore...that is the least significant aspect of what they can do these days and if I had to guess probably one of the least used features.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vercer

Registration date : 2010-09-26

PostSubject: Re: windows phone 7   Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:43 pm

LL wrote:

I don't get it. Ten keys with a mic at one end and a speaker at the other. They ring, you talk into 'em. You wanna call somebody, you enter a number and talk into 'em. What's this thing about telephones? Been around a hundred years now. Everyone alive today grew up with 'em. The new ones have buttons instead of a dial, don't have a cord, and fit in your pocket. So what? They're still telephones. Smart three year olds can use 'em.

Short of high end gaming I can do most anything on my "phone" these days I can do on my laptop. Sure a lot easier to cart around as well. Can even open MS Office files and edit photos these days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

PostSubject: Re: windows phone 7   Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:54 pm

Vercer wrote:
LL wrote:

Short of high end gaming I can do most anything on my "phone" these days I can do on my laptop. Sure a lot easier to cart around as well. Can even open MS Office files and edit photos these days.

Sure ya can. Wink Sure. No problem there buddy, just have a seat and I'll be with ya in a second.

(Pssssst! Somebody call the whitecoats. Gotta guy here who thinks he can get on the Internet with his---get this---telephone! lol! )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZeroContent

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: windows phone 7   Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:08 pm

I love my Droid and my wife's Droid X. Plus Apple are nazis when it comes to development. No one programs in Objective C other than Apple. For Java you don't have to pay a single dime for the development platform and you can push your apps to a regular android phone. No jail breaking, rooting, etc...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.teantobacco.com
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: windows phone 7   Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:22 pm

Oh you don't have to convince me about Android... lol.. I'm actively hacking on them..improving roms. Playing with homebrew apps and 'helping' on two commercial apps.. the only part of my phone that's stock is the hardware...lol

But... I hate to upgrade this week knowing that we are on the cusp of duo core, dedicated graphics, etc etc etc....

If it were me I'd wait,but its not so that aspect is moot.... just curious if the wp7 is cool.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: windows phone 7   Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:44 pm

I hate cell phones! Got along just fine without one 15 years ago!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
LL

PostSubject: Re: windows phone 7   Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:12 pm

Justpipes wrote:
I hate cell phones! Got along just fine without one 15 years ago!

Hell must be freezing over... that makes two things JP and I have agreed on in the same month. affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: windows phone 7   Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:17 am

We really aren't talking about cell phones. They are mini computers that have cell technology built in. Poo poo them all you WA t but they are mind blowing devices.

I can scan paper work via the camera, open the scan with quick office to make correction or notation, then FAX it into the office 1000 mile away..
sit back and watch a movie or play a video game on a very cleat and vivid super amoled display ..oh, the sp.com update just hit my mailbox gotta go look at that.. hmmn a pipe i want, bam, just bought it.. better go post on Bob..( I'd guess 4000+ of my post came from my phone).. now i track my package and email the maillady to put it in ' the hiding sport's because I'm not home.. time for a video chat with the wife and kids and then set the phones alarm.. its off to bed. Roll out before, check the news, get updated fuel prices, and look at the traffic on my route...

Yeah, o hate em too.. they make life suck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: windows phone 7   Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:20 am

LL wrote:
that makes two things JP and I have agreed on in the same month. affraid
Pretty soon you'll be smoking nothing but Walnut Twisted Evil

puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: windows phone 7   Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:33 am

My only complaint is virtual keyboards..5-6 years of mini QWERTY is hard to overcome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

windows phone 7
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1