HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What are your other Hobbies?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
PeterD

Registration date : 2012-06-04

PostSubject: What are your other hobbies/passions?   Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:28 pm

...avid reader/student of early American History, Theology, & European History...listening to & playing music(guitars/keyboards)...Cooking... writing...Raising, Educating, & Enjoying my 6 sons; ages 11-30 and 2 grandkids...Pipe Smoking and Collecting...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: What are your other Hobbies?   Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:38 am

6 sons ! Must be hard to find time to smoke, I have one and he keeps me busy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
PeterD

Registration date : 2012-06-04

PostSubject: What are your other hobbies/passions?   Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:45 am

i.keenum wrote:
6 sons ! Must be hard to find time to smoke, I have one and he keeps me busy.

Fortunately, all my sons were always enamored with my pipes...My younger ones still sit and watch me load a pipe and especially like to watch me prepare plugs...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What are your other Hobbies?   Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:09 am

I have many hobbies I engage in from time to time, such as restoring many different antique and vintage electrical apparatuses. At the moment it's restoring estate pipes but, one that has been over shadowing most and that is restoring antique and vintage electric fans. Although my condition doesn't allow me to do as much as I use to I still look forward to doing it again soon. Here are some photo's of fans I've done that might interest you.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: What are your other Hobbies?   Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:52 am

Cartaphilus you do great work on those restorations.

PeterD: as always, outstanding..in everything you do it seems.  Great trait you have!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: What are your other Hobbies?   Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:03 am

Those fans are pretty damn awesome!

Excellent work!cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com Online
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What are your other Hobbies?   Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:32 am

Thank you guys, I do appreciate your compliments. I just hope I can get back to doing some more in the near future.
I love restoring pipes but, they don't take as much to do leaving me with of a sort of non-accomplishment feeling, if you know what I mean. Doing one of these fans takes as much as 32 hours, were as a pipe takes maybe an hour depending on it's condition. Here's a Ascorti I restored not too long ago. It was a real mess, filthy and it's bit had a hole gnawed through it and even had mold growing in the bowl.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
NorthernLights

Registration date : 2013-07-12

PostSubject: Re: What are your other Hobbies?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:58 pm

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0G2xQnxSBmk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D0G2xQnxSBmk

This one is called The Arabia. She went down in about 1880 (it's on the plaque in the vid). I've been diving for about 3 years now. I take training courses whenever the bank will allow, and practice skills regularly. I dive modified DIR. This has allowed me to comfortably dive to 100 to 130' in water from 34 to 45 F, safely, and get great bottom times. In a wet suit, too. My friends think I'm nuts! All Great Lakes diving. The shipwrecks here are incredibly well preserved, it's an honour to see them.

It's been an incredible time so far. I feel more at home down there than I do up here! Looking forward to the next steps.

If you dive, or are thinking of diving, choosing your school and instructor is a matter of life and death. The regulatory boards do absolutely nothing to maintain safety. This is because they have standards and rules, but do not monitor if they are being followed. It all comes down to instructor choice. Anyone can PM me at any time for advice on how to select one. If you've been diving for years, it may save your life to re-evaluate how you dive, and if there is a safer way, which may include a better instructor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tate

Registration date : 2013-08-26

PostSubject: Re: What are your other Hobbies?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:27 pm

My other hobby... John Vigor puts it well:
IT TOOK A WATER RAT, in conversation with a mole, to reveal one of the great human truths, which is that “there is nothing — absolutely nothing — half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”

The famous quote comes, of course from Kenneth Grahame’s dearly loved classic, The Wind in the Willows. When Mole shyly revealed that he had never been in a boat before in all his life, Rat, who had offered to scull him across the river, was open-mouthed with astonishment. He was moved to ask: “What have you been doing, then?”

Mole didn’t answer. He was experiencing the bliss, the quiet rapture, that grips many humans also upon their first encounter with a boat.

Rat, undeterred, continued to espouse his love of boats. “In or out of ’em, it doesn’t matter. Nothing seems to matter, really, that’s the charm of it. Whether you get away, or whether you don’t; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you’re always busy, and you never do anything in particular, and when you’ve done it there’s always something else to do ...”

There’s no doubt about it. If you must have an obsession, boating is better than most.

What my friends think I do:

What I think I do:

What my family thinks I do:

What I actually do:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sundownersailsagain.com
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: What are your other Hobbies?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:54 pm

Outstanding dive pix...you da man!  Use to dive years ago in the Fla Keyes and off Miami.  Had a bad experience and never went back except the next day when I went out to "get back on the horse"...hyperventilated in 10 feet of water...dive instructor told me to get out of the water as I was too shook from the previous experience (dragged by  an under water current tube, even with the vest deployed...scarred the crap outta me).  I was through with diving...loved the first 12 dives, though!

Tate...you rock...love the pix that tell the tale.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: What are your other Hobbies?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:12 pm

Goodness, well I'm definitely on the dull side having read what some of you guys get up to, all I really do now is make pipes and try to deal with my children as best I can, that pretty much takes up all of my free time, boring really isn't it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tate

Registration date : 2013-08-26

PostSubject: Re: What are your other Hobbies?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:24 pm

Briar Spirit wrote:
Goodness, well I'm definitely on the dull side having read what some of you guys get up to, all I really do now is make pipes and try to deal with my children as best I can, that pretty much takes up all of my free time, boring really isn't it.
Boring? Only boring people are bored. Are you bored? You sound busy, so it must not be too boring. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sundownersailsagain.com
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: What are your other Hobbies?   Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:13 pm

Tate wrote:
Briar Spirit wrote:
Boring?  Only boring people are bored.  Are you bored?  You sound busy, so it must not be too boring.  Very Happy 
Goodness no, I have far too many things to get done each day to be bored. sunny 
Back to top Go down
View user profile

What are your other Hobbies?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: