HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Finally perfected the 1930's thru 50's Dunhill Shell finish

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Finally perfected the 1930's thru 50's Dunhill Shell finish   Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:44 pm

I liked the several newer Shells in my collection as smokers, but hated their never-changes inky-black color and sharp/edgy hand feel. Anyone who had seen both the old version of the Shell finish and the new one know what I'm talking about. (If you haven't, know that though the name is the same that's about the only similarity.)

Anyhow, for many years I've wanted either a time machine or a magic wand in the worst way to "fix" those newer pipes, but never knew how---or heard of anyone who ever has---convincingly converted the one to the other. The old Shell finish was, and remains, something of a trade secret.

I have no idea if the method I discovered remotely resembles the original process, but it exactly duplicates the result, which to me is all that matters. All my newer Shells are now indistinguishable from the old ones both visually and in hand feel.

cheers

It's such an esoteric thing that there's (probably) no market for it whatsoever---the Oldie lovers almost never buy new-version Shells, and those who buy the new ones like them as-is by definition---but I couldn't resist sharing the news. In the tiny world of pipe repair New Things don't come along very often, and it feels really cool to have contributed something original.

Bartender, a round for the house, please. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Finally perfected the 1930's thru 50's Dunhill Shell finish   Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:07 pm

Cool Cool Cool

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Finally perfected the 1930's thru 50's Dunhill Shell finish   Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Love to see an example! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Finally perfected the 1930's thru 50's Dunhill Shell finish   Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:37 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

PostSubject: Re: Finally perfected the 1930's thru 50's Dunhill Shell finish   Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:41 pm

Sorry, no pics. Much too difficult to capture dark, uneven finishes at the best of times, never mind for comparison purposes. Plus, part of the old Shell magic is the feel, which doesn't translate visually at all. You'll just have to take my word for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Finally perfected the 1930's thru 50's Dunhill Shell finish   Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:32 pm

cheers cheers cheers

What a Face
Back to top Go down
glpease
Dark Lord

Registration date : 2007-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Finally perfected the 1930's thru 50's Dunhill Shell finish   Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:45 pm

LL wrote:
Sorry, no pics. Much too difficult to capture dark, uneven finishes at the best of times, never mind for comparison purposes. Plus, part of the old Shell magic is the feel, which doesn't translate visually at all. You'll just have to take my word for it.

BS. Send them to me. I'll capture it. It might take a while, lots of lighting setups, different camera angles, that sort of thing, but I can do it eventually. Yes. Yes, I can. Anyone who as non-converted modern Shells, send me those, too, so I can take comparison shots.

I should have them back in time for the Luxembourg Olympics, or the next winter Solstice total eclipse of the moon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.glpease.com
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Finally perfected the 1930's thru 50's Dunhill Shell finish   Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:49 am

glpease wrote:
LL wrote:

BS. Send them to me. I'll capture it. It might take a while, lots of lighting setups, different camera angles, that sort of thing, but I can do it eventually. Yes. Yes, I can. Anyone who as non-converted modern Shells, send me those, too, so I can take comparison shots.

I should have them back in time for the Luxembourg Olympics, or the next winter Solstice total eclipse of the moon.
cheers cheers
I posted some photos of a 70's Dunhill shell briar, and it was difficult to photograph.
http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t11045-dunhill-pad-and-tad

I'd love to see the results if you should take Mr. Pease up on his very generous offer. If Luxembourg were ever able to scrape up enough money to bribe the Olympic officials to the tune that they have become accustomed to, you may see those pipes again in around fifty years! I'm sure I could undercut him, and return your pipes safely in a few weeks. Just throwing that out there...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

PostSubject: Re: Finally perfected the 1930's thru 50's Dunhill Shell finish   Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:52 am

Harlock999 wrote:

I'd love to see the results if you should take Mr. Pease up on his very generous offer. If Luxembourg were ever able to scrape up enough money to bribe the Olympic officials to the tune that they have become accustomed to, you may see those pipes again in around fifty years! I'm sure I could undercut him, and return your pipes safely in a few weeks. Just throwing that out there...

Like that Pease character knows sumthin' 'bout takin' pitchers. Ha. If he's as good as all that, how come he doesn't have his own calendar? You know, like those centerfold ones. Except pipes instead of girls onnit? I know that sounds crazy, but I seen a pipe calendar once and it was amazing. Didn't catch who took the pitchers, but it doesn't matter. Until Pease does somethin' like that he's just another blog-writin', PipeWorld wannbe with an Instamatic.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Finally perfected the 1930's thru 50's Dunhill Shell finish
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1