HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Sign of the Times

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blue Max

Registration date : 2010-05-10

PostSubject: Sign of the Times   Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:19 pm

As I have said, I work at a proprietary technical college teaching computer networking and stuff like that. My program is mostly guys that range in age from 18 to 60 so we have quite a spread there. Twice now, I've been outside with some of the other guys smoking my pipe and one of the young 'uns came out and saw me with the pipe. Each time their eyes got really wide and it seemed as if I had a rope around them pulling them to me because they came over really fast just staring at the pipe. The only thing they could say was, " I've never SEEN anyone smoke one of those things!". "Never?", says me. Nope.

Each time also, they thought it was pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Sign of the Times   Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:03 am

Pipes are cool, and are seen as such a throw back to a slower, simpler time. I keep detecting more and more interest in "old school" ways among the younger people; retro facial hair, guys wearing vests, and a general interest in early 20th century hobbies, habits and haberdashery.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greenleaf

Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Sign of the Times   Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:08 am

I got some of those comments when I started both junior college and pipe smoking in 2001. There was also a pipe smoking professor there, I met him once. The students said that when they smelled a pipe, they knew it was either me and my black cav or that Captain Black smoker of thirty years. I've mentioned negative remarks before, but it is surprising how much respect people sometimes show for a simple pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thegreenleaffiles.blogspot.com

Sign of the Times
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1