HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Fascinating

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LL

avatar

Location : KCMO
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Fascinating   Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:37 am

This is pure brain heroin for fact & data junkies, and just plain practical info (in many instances) for everyone else.

I promise that you'll be surprised:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions

Back to top Go down
View user profile
whiskeywillow

avatar

Age : 27
Location : New Jersey
Registration date : 2011-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Fascinating   Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:04 am

Well it's good to know that drinking doesn't kill brain cells! Still have my liver to worry about, though...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bronxbill

avatar

Age : 70
Location : Triangle area NC
Registration date : 2007-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Fascinating   Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:00 am

Pretty cool. It's always interesting to see how much of what I take as truth is wrong Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE
Moderator
avatar

Location : Mexico City
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Fascinating   Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:15 am

Vey cool. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider
avatar

Location : Brandenburg, Ky
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Fascinating   Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:56 am

Funny that one of the more rational people on the board quotes Wikipedia so oft?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father
avatar

Age : 45
Location : Olympia, WA
Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Fascinating   Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:57 pm

whiskeywillow wrote:
Well it's good to know that drinking doesn't kill brain cells! Still have my liver to worry about, though...

lol!

_________________
Jason

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
Frost

avatar

Age : 39
Location : Somewhere near Philly, PA
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Fascinating   Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:49 pm

The easiest way to avoid carrying around misconceptions is to simply not believe anything that anyone tells you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father
avatar

Age : 45
Location : Olympia, WA
Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Fascinating   Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:50 pm

You're full of it Frost! Laughing

_________________
Jason

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
Frost

avatar

Age : 39
Location : Somewhere near Philly, PA
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Fascinating   Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:54 pm

I would agree except I don't believe you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
red kilt

avatar

Age : 30
Location : Tucson, Az
Registration date : 2010-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Fascinating   Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:54 pm

Very cool. Lots of interesting stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

avatar

Location : KCMO
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Fascinating   Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:36 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Funny that one of the more rational people on the board quotes Wikipedia so oft?

On "taught in school" subjects (as opposed to biographical or political issues) Wiki is arguably the most reliable online source in the world. It has an extremely high level of ongoing oversight, and errors last only minutes. Textbooks never had it so good.

Don't believe me? Go ahead and deliberately put an error into an article on music theory, math, astronomy, physics, or similar, and tell me how how it works out for ya. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider
avatar

Location : Brandenburg, Ky
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Fascinating   Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:19 pm

Keep believing that knucklehead and eventually you'll be so dumb they'll give you your CDL back....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

avatar

Location : KCMO
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Fascinating   Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:40 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Keep believing that knucklehead and eventually you'll be so dumb they'll give you your CDL back....

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hey, I'm workin' on it. As for my CDL it's still current. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider
avatar

Location : Brandenburg, Ky
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Fascinating   Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:14 pm

Its evident ..

One last story and then goodnight.. several weeks ago we recieved a corporate email advising us that anyone driving in a "whiteout" will be suspended ..anyone having any kind of accident in a "white out" would be fired.. preventable or not... I asked three seperate people for a definition of white out because the email came from Florida and their interpretation may vary from mine .. no response..

This weekend they put electronic logs in all the trucks to try to combat CSA 11..
I told the terminal manager they would regret both policy before i left yesterday ..he just shrugged..

I shut down ( first time i have done so in 12-13 years without actual road closing) at 14:40 today in northern Ohio... roads aren't THAT bad bit the four wheelers are ditching ..

At 15:20 i recieved. "Hero I need you tomorrow in the worst way.. I need a container Yankee for the day.. name your price..anything, we are going to lose a customer "

My response? "Remember that shrug yesterday? I told you so, cars are wrecking and I'm not risking my job and when i do manage to get back I'll be out of hours.. Your safe and compliant driver, Brandon.. PS. Thanks for elogs"

He'd fire me if he could.. lol...he can't..lol..he'd have to hire a dry bulk driver, a liquid driver, a cryo driver, a container driver, and a compressed air driver...lol

Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

avatar

Location : KCMO
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Fascinating   Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:33 pm

puros_bran wrote:


One last story and then goodnight.. several weeks ago we recieved a corporate email advising us that anyone driving in a "whiteout" will be suspended ..anyone having any kind of accident in a "white out" would be fired.. preventable or not... I asked three seperate people for a definition of white out because the email came from Florida and their interpretation may vary from mine .. no response..

This weekend they put electronic logs in all the trucks to try to combat CSA 11..
I told the terminal manager they would regret both policy before i left yesterday ..he just shrugged..

I shut down ( first time i have done so in 12-13 years without actual road closing) at 14:40 today in northern Ohio... roads aren't THAT bad bit the four wheelers are ditching ..

At 15:20 i recieved. "Hero I need you tomorrow in the worst way.. I need a container Yankee for the day.. name your price..anything, we are going to lose a customer "

My response? "Remember that shrug yesterday? I told you so, cars are wrecking and I'm not risking my job and when i do manage to get back I'll be out of hours.. Your safe and compliant driver, Brandon.. PS. Thanks for elogs"

He'd fire me if he could.. lol...he can't..lol..he'd have to hire a dry bulk driver, a liquid driver, a cryo driver, a container driver, and a compressed air driver...lol


Sweeeeet. Cool Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Fascinating   Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:12 pm

L-Man wrote:
Wiki is arguably the most reliable online source in the world.
It has an extremely high level of ongoing oversight, and errors last only minutes . . . Don't believe me?
Don't believe you.

L-Man wrote:
Go ahead and deliberately put an error into an article on music theory, math, astronomy, physics, or similar, and tell me how how it works out for ya.
Here's a more meaningful one. Try editing in (the omitted) accounts of any of the Israeli massacres of Palestinians throughout the twentieth century in the Israel history section.

Good luck Very Happy

What a Face
Back to top Go down
LL

avatar

Location : KCMO
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Fascinating   Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:34 pm

Yak wrote:
L-Man wrote:
Wiki is arguably the most reliable online source in the world.
It has an extremely high level of ongoing oversight, and errors last only minutes . . . Don't believe me?
Don't believe you.

L-Man wrote:
Go ahead and deliberately put an error into an article on music theory, math, astronomy, physics, or similar, and tell me how how it works out for ya.
Here's a more meaningful one. Try editing in (the omitted) accounts of any of the Israeli massacres of Palestinians throughout the twentieth century in the Israel history section.

Good luck Very Happy

Let's see...

I said:

On "taught in school" subjects (as opposed to biographical or political issues) Wiki is arguably the most reliable online source in the world. It has an extremely high level of ongoing oversight, and errors last only minutes.


C'mon, Yak. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

avatar

Location : Los Angeles
Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Fascinating   Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:37 pm

Yak wrote:
L-Man wrote:
Wiki is arguably the most reliable online source in the world.
It has an extremely high level of ongoing oversight, and errors last only minutes . . . Don't believe me?
Don't believe you.

L-Man wrote:
Go ahead and deliberately put an error into an article on music theory, math, astronomy, physics, or similar, and tell me how how it works out for ya.
Here's a more meaningful one. Try editing in (the omitted) accounts of any of the Israeli massacres of Palestinians throughout the twentieth century in the Israel history section.

Good luck Very Happy

What a Face

A whole different can of worms, but then, that's what the Barnes Review is for. study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Fascinating   Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 pm

So history can be censored, re-written or fabricated with impunity because it's a "political" subject ?

Like the lying inflation and unemployment rates the government puts out are OK because that's "politics" also ?

I may be loosely wrapped. But I'm not schizoid. At least not to that degree.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

avatar

Location : Los Angeles
Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Fascinating   Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:02 am

Yak wrote:
So history can be censored, re-written or fabricated with impunity because it's a "political" subject ?

Like the lying inflation and unemployment rates the government puts out are OK because that's "politics" also ?

I may be loosely wrapped. But I'm not schizoid. At least not to that degree.

What a Face

I'm not disagreeing. Check out Pulvers Briar for a discussion about the censorship of Huckleberry Finn. Good stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

avatar

Location : KCMO
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Fascinating   Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:19 am

Yak wrote:
So history can be censored, re-written or fabricated with impunity because it's a "political" subject ?

Like the lying inflation and unemployment rates the government puts out are OK because that's "politics" also ?

I may be loosely wrapped. But I'm not schizoid. At least not to that degree.

What a Face

I simply don't get your point. I said Wiki is reliable regarding NON-political subjects, and listed examples.

How you interpret that as an endorsement of censorship, re-written history, or fabrication is beyond me.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Fascinating   Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:02 am

I don't interpret it as an endorsement of anything, G-Bro. I can see where your statement is a valid generalisation from the perspective you intended it to be seen from. But it seems that "politics" is a notion that extends pretty far beyond its ordinary connotation to include anything with political motivation or rammifications in any area. E.g., "Global Warming" would ordinarily be science (or not) but, since money's involved, it's "politics." History and economics are likewise "political" (exempt from any expectation of honest coverage there).

Then there's "Institutional Politics." I read their account of Wilhelm Reich once and never encountered so many "alleged"s and "purportedly"s in one place before. His thinking still, all these years later, not only annoys people, but threatens their institutional assurance that "we have this all figured out. There aren't any more cards in the deck than the ones we're playing with." Reading through its account of the paleoindian era, the last time I checked, they still came from Siberia with evidence to the contrary buried under an avalanche of "pooh, pooh" (so to speak).

I guess the bottom line is that I don't see it as the kind of monument to objective knowledge you seem to see it as. It's useful, sure. But I trust it like I trust the New York Times.

Didn't mean to annoy you for no good reason.

What a Face





Back to top Go down
 
Fascinating
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: