HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Of Bacon and Bourbon

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Doc Manhattan

Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

Of Bacon and Bourbon Empty
PostSubject: Of Bacon and Bourbon   Of Bacon and Bourbon EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 3:13 pm

This week, in one of the more Manly acts in my life, I made Bacon-Infused Bourbon.

The actual process is called fat-washing alcohol: you emulsify a liquified fat into strong spirits (~1:20), and as the fat congeals, it fines the liquor. You could do it with an unflavored fat, but what the hell fun is that? If the fat has delicious flavors/aromatics, some of those infuse into the alcohol. Strain out through a coffee filter and you're in business.

What I got back was a Mason jar full of Bacon Bourbon--you can definitely smell and slightly taste just-burnt bacon, especially in the aftertaste.

(Pics would be pointless--the outcome looks exactly like bourbon, and the work-in-progress looks like, you guessed it, bourbon with lard floating in it.)

My big mistake was trying to mix a sweet cocktail with it. Coffee and bacon are winners at breakfast, but Kahlua and 100-proof Bacon are an abomination together. One thing this stuff doesn't need is more sweetness. I think this is destined for neat drinking.

I am undeterred by one disastrous cocktail, though. Next to try: butter into rum or scotch (tastes that already pair well), and bacon into vodka, for a BLT Bloddy Mary.

I know there are several homebrewers on the BoB... anyone do any hard liquor engineering?
Back to top Go down
http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Of Bacon and Bourbon   Of Bacon and Bourbon EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 3:26 pm

Two great tastes that go great together? cheers

That´s quite an experiment!! Ive never tried infusing liquor but it sounds cool....
Back to top Go down
Tim_Haggerty

Tim_Haggerty

Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Of Bacon and Bourbon   Of Bacon and Bourbon EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 6:55 pm

Hot Buttered Rum is just that -- Rum, butter, hot water, maybe a little sugar.

But Bacon Bourbon and a good bowl of FVF sounds about right. Maybe some toast on the side.
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin
mark

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Of Bacon and Bourbon   Of Bacon and Bourbon EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 7:41 pm

Bacon Bourbon??

Just add a splash of spring maple sap and pour over pancakes,,,,,toss an egg in your pot when you brew your coffee and you've got breakfast.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
RealtorFrank

RealtorFrank

Registration date : 2010-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Of Bacon and Bourbon   Of Bacon and Bourbon EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 11:14 pm

That sounds delicious!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.franksellsnashville.com/
Tak

Tak

Registration date : 2011-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Of Bacon and Bourbon   Of Bacon and Bourbon EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 4:23 pm

Seriously...I would have NEVER thought of putting bacon fat in Bourbon. I cook up 2 slices of bacon and an egg for breakfast each morning, bacon fat goes in a jar. This may be the coolest thing ever. I just have to figure out that 1:20 ratio. 1 TBS bacon to 20 TBS Jack D. (Google says that 1 1/4 cups, the 20 TBS.) Now I just have to wait until my lovely spouse is out of the house.

This is way cool! Thanks Laughing
Back to top Go down
Doc Manhattan

Doc Manhattan

PostSubject: Re: Of Bacon and Bourbon   Of Bacon and Bourbon EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 4:41 pm

The next infusion is going to be into some good (but not great) rye. The sweetness of the bourbon was too strong compared with the rich, smoky bacon taste.
Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Of Bacon and Bourbon   Of Bacon and Bourbon EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 6:49 pm

My wife gets on my case saying "That´s your FIFTH drink today!!"

I just tell to shut up ant eat her breakfast....
Back to top Go down
hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Of Bacon and Bourbon   Of Bacon and Bourbon EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 8:30 pm

Would go good with this.
Of Bacon and Bourbon Chocobaconnw2
Back to top Go down
Doc Manhattan

Doc Manhattan

PostSubject: Re: Of Bacon and Bourbon   Of Bacon and Bourbon EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 11:09 am

I've mde DIY version of the chocobacon... pretty tasty in very small doses. That professional stuff is probably even better.

(But I'd rather have chocolate chip pancakes with a big side of bacon.)

These are also pretty tasty: Vosges Mo's Bacon Bar. Not just bacon in there, but coarse salt, which I also adore (the family has low blood pressure, so I eat like I'm part deer.)
Back to top Go down
WingRider

WingRider

Registration date : 2011-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Of Bacon and Bourbon   Of Bacon and Bourbon EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 2:21 am

And I thought I'd tried everything bacon when I stumbled upon bacon chocolate chip cookies. We had those at my daughter's wedding as my son-in-law is a bigger bacon fanatic than I am. But this takes the cake!
Back to top Go down

Of Bacon and Bourbon
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Kitchen & The Speakeasy-
Jump to: