HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cleanup and polish of my favorite pipe

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ataki

Ataki

Registration date : 2010-11-24

Cleanup and polish of my favorite pipe Empty
PostSubject: Cleanup and polish of my favorite pipe   Cleanup and polish of my favorite pipe EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 11:19 pm

Was enjoying a nice bowl this morning in my favorite pipe, and while looking it over, I decided it was overdue for a good cleanup and polish. After about two hours of scrubbing, sanding and buffing, I think it came out pretty well. Very Happy (sorry, no before pics... like most of my projects, I tend to just jump in)

Cleanup and polish of my favorite pipe Imag0010
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Cleanup and polish of my favorite pipe   Cleanup and polish of my favorite pipe EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 11:23 pm

Looks great!
Back to top Go down
Hunter5117

Hunter5117

Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Cleanup and polish of my favorite pipe   Cleanup and polish of my favorite pipe EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 12:44 am

Thats a very nice Kaywoodie!
Back to top Go down
Ataki

Ataki

PostSubject: Re: Cleanup and polish of my favorite pipe   Cleanup and polish of my favorite pipe EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 12:50 am

Thanks, guys...It was my first pipe, a lucky estate find on ebay... Smokes as nice as it looks, too.
Back to top Go down
hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Cleanup and polish of my favorite pipe   Cleanup and polish of my favorite pipe EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 8:57 am

what did you use to buff it up with?
Back to top Go down
Ataki

Ataki

PostSubject: Re: Cleanup and polish of my favorite pipe   Cleanup and polish of my favorite pipe EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 12:09 pm

hobie1dog wrote:
what did you use to buff it up with?

Well, it started with a careful rubbing of everclear to remove the old waxes from the briar and stem, leaving the briar with a matte finish. the stem I sanded (To remove bite marks, etc.) with 600 grit wet or dry sandpaper, then 800, then 1000, then 1500. Then each part got taken to a loose buffing wheel on my drill press, using plenty of the white compound (Jeweler's rouge, I think) on the wheel. I had no carnauba wax, so I rubbed in some plain candle wax real well, and took it back to the wheel. After that, just a final light rub with a soft cloth. The only downside is that the old price stamp on the stem is now gone, but it was barely readable anyway.
Back to top Go down
talrmn35

talrmn35

Registration date : 2010-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Cleanup and polish of my favorite pipe   Cleanup and polish of my favorite pipe EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 12:25 pm

Nicely done! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
buckeye

buckeye

Registration date : 2011-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Cleanup and polish of my favorite pipe   Cleanup and polish of my favorite pipe EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 1:09 pm

nice job
Back to top Go down
Tommy

Tommy

Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Cleanup and polish of my favorite pipe   Cleanup and polish of my favorite pipe EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 5:22 pm

Looks great,....I like it! Smile
Back to top Go down
MartinH

MartinH

Registration date : 2011-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Cleanup and polish of my favorite pipe   Cleanup and polish of my favorite pipe EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 7:20 pm

Looks gorgeous. Stupid question from the noob, but how did you integrate the candle wax? Once melted, did you have work quickly?

The pipe looks gorgeous! If I ever get a man cave I'll be able to do stuff like this also, or at least try.

Martin
Back to top Go down
http://www.pipereviews.org
Ataki

Ataki

PostSubject: Re: Cleanup and polish of my favorite pipe   Cleanup and polish of my favorite pipe EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 7:27 pm

MartinH wrote:
Looks gorgeous. Stupid question from the noob, but how did you integrate the candle wax? Once melted, did you have work quickly?

The pipe looks gorgeous! If I ever get a man cave I'll be able to do stuff like this also, or at least try.

Martin

Actually, I just rubbed the unlit candle against it to get a good coating, and rubbed it in good with my thumbs before hitting the wheel. It gives it a pretty nice shine, and seems to protect it well.
Back to top Go down
MartinH

MartinH

Registration date : 2011-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Cleanup and polish of my favorite pipe   Cleanup and polish of my favorite pipe EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 7:32 pm

Ah! Okay! That makes sense. Thanks again for posting!

Martin
Back to top Go down
http://www.pipereviews.org

Cleanup and polish of my favorite pipe
Page 1 of 1