HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Stuck bit

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GCook

Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Stuck bit   Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:46 am

OK, I suppose this is the appropriate place to ask. I bought an old british push-in stem Kaywoodie pipe whose stem will not budge. My usual trick of putting it in the freezer and warming the shank by hand did nothing. It refuses all reasonable torque and pull and I'm nervous about getting really stern with it because it's a nice pipe. What are your tricks?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Stuck bit   Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:14 am

Try leaving it in a freezer for several days. For some reason longer works better. It doesn't makes sense, I know---once the pipe's temp is equal to the freezer's, that should be it---but for some reason it does. 3-4 days, using calfskin gloves for grip, and applying a twist the minute the pipe comes out of the freezer has never failed in my experience.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GCook

Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Stuck bit   Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:52 pm

That, and heat applied to the shank finally did it. I had to remove some rubbery stuff like someone used rubber cement at some point. No need for it- it was snug enough. Great smoker! Old Kaywoodies are a bargain. Never saw one stamped "London made" before.

Thanks for the advice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Stuck bit
Page 1 of 1