HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Beverages That Work Well With the Pipe?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
CLRV

Registration date : 2010-12-29

PostSubject: Beverages That Work Well With the Pipe?   Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:41 pm

So, I've been finding that the alkalinity on the tongue is eased considerably by tea; green tea specifically. Anything carbonated makes my tongue feel like I've got a zillion tiny needles poking it.

My question is:

What beverages do you drink while smoking to either enhance the experience or relieve the slightly "burny" but not quite "bitey" feeling?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lazarus Long

Registration date : 2010-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Beverages That Work Well With the Pipe?   Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:50 pm

I have been enjoying India Pale Ales along with my pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
talrmn35

Registration date : 2010-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Beverages That Work Well With the Pipe?   Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:57 pm

There was I brother sharing here a few days ago about Red Wine helping with tongue bite...I don't know if it works but I'm willing to try!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CLRV

PostSubject: Re: Beverages That Work Well With the Pipe?   Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:01 pm

An interesting concept. One would think the tannins would exacerbate the issue, but perhaps not. Certainly worth a try.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
itsKot

Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Beverages That Work Well With the Pipe?   Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:21 pm

That'd be me boys Laughing I forgot where I read it exactly but I decided to give it a whirl when I just started pipe smoking last year. So I got myself a small glass and sipped it slowly, if you let it stay in your mouth on your tongue for a few seconds it works even better. All I can say is its magic! My go-to solution in the rare chance I get tongue bite.

After all, what's the worst that could happen? You enjoy a nice glass of wine. OH THE TORTURE!! Hahah Laughing

Last edited by itsKot on Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CLRV

PostSubject: Re: Beverages That Work Well With the Pipe?   Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:23 pm

See, that's awesome. One of the many reasons BoB is invaluable. It would have taken me years and a bit of chance to learn about the red wine cure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
itsKot

Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Beverages That Work Well With the Pipe?   Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:26 pm

Oh, did you give it a whirl?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thomas Tkach

Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Beverages That Work Well With the Pipe?   Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:50 pm

Flavor-wise, I like whiskey. Carbonated beverages are a no-go, and I haven't found beer to be a good compliment to a pipe, though I may need to do more research.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1
cigarsarge

Registration date : 2010-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Beverages That Work Well With the Pipe?   Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:28 pm

I just had a couple of fingers of Gentleman Jack with a bowl of McBaren Golden Extra...It was really nice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipePuffer

Registration date : 2010-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Beverages That Work Well With the Pipe?   Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:32 pm

I like tea during the day and bourbon in the evening.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CLRV

PostSubject: Re: Beverages That Work Well With the Pipe?   Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:41 pm

That seems to be my routine as well PP. Big tea guy, so I do that through most of the day, until it's too late for caffeine, then switch over to either decaf or whiskey/rum.

Though, with this red wine aspect, that may change as well. We will see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muddler

Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Beverages That Work Well With the Pipe?   Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:40 pm

I think nothing beats coffee & a pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flytyer

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Beverages That Work Well With the Pipe?   Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:17 pm

Scotch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinP

Registration date : 2011-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Beverages That Work Well With the Pipe?   Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:33 pm

Just a good cup of coffee, no cream no sugar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Beverages That Work Well With the Pipe?   Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:28 pm

I've grown accustomed to Penzance and red wine. I love you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Beverages That Work Well With the Pipe?   Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:00 pm

I've found the acid in a diet pepsi neutralizes any tongue bite I've encountered,,,

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Obelus

PostSubject: Re: Beverages That Work Well With the Pipe?   Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:33 pm

Last edited by Obelus on Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SmokeyTweed

Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Beverages That Work Well With the Pipe?   Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:35 pm

i enjoy a nice root beer with anything i smoke to tell the truth, apart from that coffee.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Beverages That Work Well With the Pipe?   Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:35 pm

I love a big cup of Earl Grey tea with my morning smoke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Beverages That Work Well With the Pipe?   Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:24 pm

Harlock999 wrote:
I love a big cup of Earl Grey tea with my morning smoke.

Now you're talking. That works for me with most tobaccos. However, with Ten Russians black coffee seems to work the best.
In the evenings I'm not averse to a little brandy with a bowl of va.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Beverages That Work Well With the Pipe?   Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:41 am

Coffee! Good strong stuff, and always black.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GCook

Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Beverages That Work Well With the Pipe?   Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:00 am

Scotch or coffee with burley, bourbon with Virginias, red wine with latakia, port with cigars.

I seldom, if ever get tongue bite. I don't drink these to prevent it, these are just my tastes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipe dreamer

Registration date : 2010-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Beverages That Work Well With the Pipe?   Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:31 am

Acidic drinks are best till they call you leather tongue.For tongue bite Biotene works great.Try it .Almost immediately you feel better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://guildpipesfl.com
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Beverages That Work Well With the Pipe?   Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:37 pm

pipe dreamer wrote:
For tongue bite Biotene works great.Try it .Almost immediately you feel better.
Biotene is a wonder! Also great for annoying minor mouth injuries (like the dreaded "too-hot pizza tongue burn.")

The irony is that Biotene is full of Propylene Glycol, a compound widely blamed for unpleasant smoking experiences. Of course, it isn't being combusted by an ember when youre rinsing with it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
CPl_A

Registration date : 2011-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Beverages That Work Well With the Pipe?   Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:52 pm

Because of all the meds I'm on, I can't drink alcohol so I can't help you there. But I can tell you that V-8 works very well. Just don't drink the spicy one, that makes it worse.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Beverages That Work Well With the Pipe?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next