HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Pipes-A-Day???

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Foxfire

Registration date : 2011-01-29

PostSubject: Pipes-A-Day???   Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:17 pm

Disclaimer:
I'm guessing this is the correct area to put this in. If not, I apologize and will gladly follow it to its new home. Also, if there is already a thread on this subject, I apologize, but I did not see it in my quick search on the topic.

All that aside, how many pipes a day do you smoke? I've been smoking a pipe for a few years now, but have recently (coincidentally, "recently" refers to when I first started finding out about all these fine artisan tobaccos) begun smoking a lot more than I used to. For a long time, I would smoke my pipe once or twice a week, and would occasionally go for a couple weeks without smoking it at all.

Now that I'm smoking more, I'm naturally more concerned about the health risks. Not to be a Debbie Downer or anything, but I looked up some stuff on le internét and, of course, the number of health risks are directly proportional to how much you smoke (duh).

I try to limit myself to 2 pipes a day, but I read on one site that limiting yourself to 4 pipes a day was good.

So spill it, brothers, and be honest.

How many a day?

Last edited by Foxfire on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar mishap)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CLRV

Registration date : 2010-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Pipes-A-Day???   Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:24 pm

4-6, depending on the day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Pipes-A-Day???   Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:35 pm

2-3, but only 3 times a week or so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
talrmn35

Registration date : 2010-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Pipes-A-Day???   Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:46 am

2-3 per day...less on weekends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LV9

Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Pipes-A-Day???   Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:33 am

1 a day during the week, 2 to 3 on my days off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eon

Registration date : 2011-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Pipes-A-Day???   Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:52 am

Ususally it's bowlful a day. Some days I don't smoke at all. Occasionally I light a second bowl late at night when I feel like it but I rarely do. When I get a new pipe I tend to smoke it more often, say every other day in addition to normal rotation, to get it ship shape. Then I mellow down again.

As for health risks they are there but thinking about them too much will start ruining the experience. As with everything else in the world the key is not to overdo it with smoking. Be reasonable. One thing you might want to do is to rinse your mouth after a smoke with warm water. You often get tiny pieces of char and tar in your mouth that you might well do without. I also think that anti-smoking capaigns can work in a suggestive manner (i.e. by making you concentrate on health risks you start imbuing them on yourself psychologically). You guys on the other side of the pond are lucky. Out here they glue pics of dissected lungs and tumored throats on the tobacco tins with promises of future impotence and whatnot. Might as well start painting roadkill bodies on the bumpers of new vehicles.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GCook

Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Pipes-A-Day???   Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:48 am

heh, or tattoo babies on penes.

I smoke 1 bowl, about 3x a week in winter, daily in summer, often quitting for a year at a time. I seem immune to nicotine addiction.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Pipes-A-Day???   Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:09 am

7-10 bowls a day. Yeah, I'm a baccy slut. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
talrmn35

Registration date : 2010-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Pipes-A-Day???   Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:58 am

LL wrote:

WOW! Where do you find the time?!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Navydad

Registration date : 2011-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Pipes-A-Day???   Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:05 am

2-3 bowls a day and 4-6 on weekends. There are health risks in all of life. Moderation is the key. Pipe smoking also has it's benefits. It brings us peace and calmness as we enjoy the whole process of smoking. Pipe smoking is for the patient man, something not to be rushed. So, relax and enjoy your pipe. You are in very good company.

Ken
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gandalfpc

Registration date : 2009-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Pipes-A-Day???   Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:21 pm

Bout four a day I reckon..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Williamson

Registration date : 2011-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Pipes-A-Day???   Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:17 pm

Once or twice a week, sometimes I go for weeks at a time without though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
innovador

Registration date : 2011-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Pipes-A-Day???   Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:32 pm

For me I try to limit my pipe smoke at once a day. Sometimes, I make the point I am not addicted to nicotine and I skip a day or two. And actually if I skip a day or two, I tend to enjoy more the smokes thereafter and enjoy more this hobby knowing that I am in control.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CPl_A

Registration date : 2011-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Pipes-A-Day???   Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:49 pm

3-7 a day. Depends on the day. I'm not to worried about the health thing. The way I see it, ill get lead poisoning before I get cancer. I got so much shrapnel in my body I can't even go through a metal detector without it going off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Pipes-A-Day???   Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:26 pm

Anywhere from 3 to 15 depending on the day. When Im on vacation I tend to smoke more. Only had one so far today...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sstodvictory

Registration date : 2009-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Pipes-A-Day???   Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:15 pm

1-3

Steve
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

PostSubject: Re: Pipes-A-Day???   Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:47 pm

talrmn35 wrote:
LL wrote:

WOW! Where do you find the time?!

The same place you do. Everyone gets 24 hrs a day, right? I'm also an old school clencher, meaning I can smoke while working/using my hands.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim_Haggerty

Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Pipes-A-Day???   Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:49 pm

Changes all the time but at least one. Or on a lazy weekend day I can smoke six.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dougc905

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Pipes-A-Day???   Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:25 pm

Williamson wrote:
Once or twice a week, sometimes I go for weeks at a time without though.

Me too - for 31 years now
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greenleaf

Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Pipes-A-Day???   Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:36 pm

Eight to ten bowls, but some of those are from three-inch-tall cob pipes. As for health, I'm sure it's better than the fifty Camels a day I used to suck down.

Seems to me that many times, and ever more increasingly, health experts will exaggerate the risks of smoking. For example, mention the risk of lung cancer even though we don't damn well inhale. Well, given who these people are, the times we live in, and the fact that they care to write about smoking, bias is obviously to be expected. This isn't to say that tobacco has vitamin C in it and stuff.

Some studies, including a 1979 revision of the 1964 Surgeon General's report on the health effects of tobacco have concluded that pipe smokers who have four bowls or fewer tend to live longer than non-smokers. Why is that? I think everyone here knows the answer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thegreenleaffiles.blogspot.com
Thomas Tkach

Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Pipes-A-Day???   Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:43 pm

Quote :
This isn't to say that tobacco has vitamin C in it and stuff

But it has vitamin N! Wink

2-4 per week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1
Muddler

Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Pipes-A-Day???   Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:55 pm

I'm about 4 bowls a day during the week. A bunch more over the weekends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CLRV

Registration date : 2010-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Pipes-A-Day???   Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:51 pm

Well, the vitamin N and various other carcinogens can cause cancer throughout the body, regardless of the point of ingestion. So, it's not that ridiculous to hear people talk about lung cancer from pipe smoking.

That being said, I agree the chance is much much smaller in comparison to 2+ packs of cigarettes a day. I too was an insanely heavy cig smoker, 2-3 packs of Luckies, then straight up Camels (my rationale: listen, they have filters, better than my Luckies).

Further, the point of primary ingestion is usually where the cancer originates. Thus lung cancer for cigarette smokers and head and neck cancer for us.

To me, and I've spent a lot of time thinking about this (everyone in my family has died from cancer up to this point), it comes down to relative moderation as usual. I tend to view life in the context of enjoyment v. risk. If I stop myself from ever enjoying the aspects of life that are potentially (still just a potential, tobacco does not automatically = cancer) dangerous, well, I would never get in a car again. Or leave the apartment, walk down stairs, get in the shower, or any of the other numerous activities that potentially could kill me. Certainly never look at an airplane and think "Eh, let's go belt ourselves into the giant metal tube and trust that the thousands of gallons of highly refined fuel, along with multiple turbines aren't going to fail in a number of ways too numerous to list while flying a few miles up in the air."

The common response is "tobacco isn't a necessity, it's a choice". And they're right. Just like choosing not to walk from LA to NYC. It's a luxury, an addition to this life. We don't need it to survive, but man is it a lot better than not having it.

Since I started seriously smoking a pipe my overall stress has gone down an amazing amount. I find myself sitting quietly, almost in a meditative state, for a few hours out of my day, instead of a few moments or seconds. I think this will, in turn, lead to a much better quality of life and, dare I say it, a longer life. What people who don't smoke, regardless of their reasoning, will never understand is that it helps me (and presumably us). It helps in a way that is less about the drug and more about the process. Preparing a flake, packing it just the way I like it, etc. That's good for me, even if I might die from it one day.

So yeah, my 4-6 bowls a day introduce another risk to my long term health. But it's balanced against the concept that each day quite literally could be the big one (sorry for the terrible cliché). 2-3 packs a day of cigarettes is an unnecessary and massive risk to health. Sitting in a stress free haze of delicate and beautiful smoke is less so. So much that, to me, the scales have balanced out and it remains a viable part of my existence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Pipes-A-Day???   Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:30 pm

2-3 a week, when I'm not sick. I've been sick since New Years, so none at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

PostSubject: Re: Pipes-A-Day???   Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Harlock999 wrote:
I've been sick since New Years...

That's one hell of a hangover. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Pipes-A-Day???
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next