HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

A dedicated thread for BLENDING?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
bandkbrooks

Registration date : 2011-03-29

PostSubject: Re: A dedicated thread for BLENDING?   Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:42 am

I have also tried my hand at blending. It can be very fun and sort of mad-scientist-ish looking in the kitchen. Yes there were some that tasted about as good as my son's used gym socks but there were some real hits too. The key thing is to keep good notes and measure accurately. A digital kitchen scale really helped me with consistency.

I have also done the left-over blend. Heinz 57 and next was Heinz 58. Eventually I did run out and yes one of them was a fantastic bowl. It can't be made again alas, but it was still a beautiful smoke. It's like going to a restaurant you've never been to before. You have the best meal of your life. You don't go back for a while and when you do it's not there anymore. You can't have that meal again but you still had a heck of a meal before (and you wouldn't trade it). (substitute sex for meal at any point you see fitting).

I started out finding components or blends I found to my liking. I would mix enough for a bowl or two. Then I tried toasting and stoving different ones. I did some pressing as well (pressing heavy aromatics is a recipe for goop) and had some great results.

One problem you run into is the same problem my local tobacconist has with some of his store blends. If a supplier quits making something, goes out of business, changes hands, etc. you could run into a blend that is non-achievable any more.

Here's a blend I did a while back and need to do so again.

Major Nith Oriental (Nith is my joke for Not In The House)
4 Parts Red Virginia (Stoved for 14 hours / Air dried for 3 / stoved it myself)
2 Parts Black Cav
1 Part Latakia - Cyprian
1 Part Oriental (http://www.4noggins.com/cornellanddiehlbulkturkishizmir.aspx

It has a slight citrus taste and goes great with a Pale Ale.

All this being said, it could just be that my taste buds don't work at all, my sinuses are obliterated and in reality everything I smoke smells like zombie's breath.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brandon-brooks.com
bandkbrooks

Registration date : 2011-03-29

PostSubject: Re: A dedicated thread for BLENDING?   Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:10 am

...also if you have a blend you like, try to find out the components that make up that blend (i.e. it has VA, Burley and Perique).

My taste buds are watering strangely enough.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brandon-brooks.com
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: A dedicated thread for BLENDING?   Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:38 pm

My latest discovery was 50% Dunhill Flake with 50% McClelland 2015. Good enough to be a keeper for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
williamcharles

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: A dedicated thread for BLENDING?   Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:32 pm

CPl_A wrote:
I don't know if this would fall under this, but I know I can't be the only one who does this. What I like to do is when I finish a tin and there isn't enough left for a bowl, I put the scrapes in a big mason jar and give it a good shake. This way when I don't have enough cash, I can fill a bowl with this stuff. Sometimes its great and other times its nasty. But when I'm strapped for cash, its good enough for me.

I do that too and call it "Hoover" because it usually looks like floor sweepings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tiltjlp

Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: A dedicated thread for BLENDING?   Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:06 am

I just stumbled across this thread, and would like to offer a few suggestions that may of may not be obvious to everyone. In order to be able to duplicate a blend a 2nd time, all measurements need to be made using a digital scale, using grams. Also, make careful and complete notes of what goes into each blend, the date blended, and each date taste-tested. I always worked in quantities of at least 25gm, if not 50gm, so I could sample a blend as it aged. and yes, blends will change with only days, or weeks of aging.

Also, I found it very helpful to smoke a few bowls of every blending component/tobacco by itself, so I knew exactly what each one might add to a blend. And the greatest teacher of all is smoking your failures.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://corncobsandbriar.phpbb3now.com/
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: A dedicated thread for BLENDING?   Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:52 am

Here's a question of you blenders--pro and recreational: If you want precise matches, you have to measure by weight proportionally, but do you then also need to account for moisture content? (And do the rules of thumb change on a much bigger scale?)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: A dedicated thread for BLENDING?   Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:12 pm

Yes, I was pondering the moisture content variable this afternoon,,,

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tiltjlp

Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: A dedicated thread for BLENDING?   Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:20 pm

I can't help with the moisture question, since all my blends were made drier than most, since I'm of the opinion drier blends smoke and also taste better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://corncobsandbriar.phpbb3now.com/
Boulder

Registration date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Blending   Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:58 am

As a newbie I have followed BOB posting and tried a good deal of baccy recommendations and enjoyed a good percentage of them.

I mix left overs just to salvage the tobacco and sometimes mix a favorable mixture.

I made a concoction that I can't seem to get enough of and blend it often, While I can't guarantee

anyone having similar preferences I make this offer calling it Boulder's Escape;

Peter Stokkebye, Balkin Supreme 70% and John Middleton, Walnut 30%.

You may want to play with ratios as my brother likes a 50 50 mix.

Let me know what an experienced palate thinks of this mixture and any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boulder

Registration date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: A dedicated thread for BLENDING?   Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:49 pm

Or maybe call it, Boulder's Pipe Dream. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

A dedicated thread for BLENDING?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2