HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Any pipe carvers?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
MartinH

Registration date : 2011-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Any pipe carvers?   Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:09 pm

I can't wait to see what people come up with. I just carved my very first pipe, and it was a fun experience. The pipe is "okay" but it's what I hope to be the first of many. Smile

Good luck to everyone.

Martin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.pipereviews.org
SingleMalt

Registration date : 2011-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Any pipe carvers?   Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:06 am

I got my predrilled kit in last week and tried to shape the briar with my existing tools - a table-mounted Porter Cable router and a RotoZip.

I tried the router first. The first bit worked okay, but it was a rounding bit, so it wasn't really useful for initial shaping. I switched to a more aggressive full-length bit, but that was a mistake. It tore a small chunk out of the briar and threatened to fling the block across the garage. The router was set to its lowest speed, but it's still 20,000 RPMs which was way too high.

So I tried the RotoZip next, with a small sanding drum chucked in it. I don't have a table for the RotoZip though, so I had to use it freehand. It wasn't as scary as using the router, but it didn't do much to the wood, either. A minute worth of sanding put a small dent in the block. I can see using the RotoZip for detail work or to cut interesting patterns into the briar, but for initial shaping I needed to take off a lot more wood.

So I went to the hardware store and bought a corded drill (I have a cordless drill, but I needed something that would run for an extended sanding session.) The drill fit the bill because of its lower RPM than the router/rotozip. I bought both coarse and fine sanding flap wheels for a few bucks each, and jury-rig mounted the drill to a sawhorse with a couple of clamps. So far, it works great, and I was able to do the initial shaping of the stem part of the stummel, with a big block still left for the bowl.

Next up, I'm going to use the sanding wheel I bought for the drill to shape the bowl. I'll take some pictures next time before I start working on it so you can see my setup. I'll leave the pipe stummel out of the pictures until the contest is over.

So far, I'm enjoying it and learning a lot!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tNd

Registration date : 2011-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Any pipe carvers?   Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:34 pm

o.k.... found this thread just today....
i have a few questions... Smile
i am carving pipes for about a bit more than a year now... can i put a pipe for contest here???
from what i can see this is a contest of guys with no knowledge in pipemaking... however, i have made my first pipe also from a prebored briar - if not the last pipe - can i send pictures of the first one made a year ago Smile???
this is just for fun and to be a part of this Smile Smile
regards and thank you Smile
daniel
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tnd-pipes.com/
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Any pipe carvers?   Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:26 pm

tNd wrote:
from what i can see this is a contest of guys with no knowledge in pipemaking... this is just for fun,,,

Right, a lot of us have talked about carving a pipe "someday",,,this is just a way to get us off our butts and doing something about it. If you're an beginner/amateur feel free to enter. It's all about learning and learning from each other.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tNd

PostSubject: Re: Any pipe carvers?   Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:03 am

O.k. - as agreed with Mark i have send two pictures from my first pipe i have made that was also a predrilled block from Pimo... Smile

the pipe is not a big deal but it is fun to participate so i encourage you guys to try it - pipemaking is fun Smile
regards
daniel

Last edited by tNd on Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Any pipe carvers?   Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:04 am

Well tNd the contest is based on anonymity,,if you post your pipe contest entry for everyone to see it's hard to remain anonymous.

in other words as long as the link to your pictures remains in your posting, everyone can see them and when the September first deadline arrives your pipe may not be anonymous.

Maybe just delete the two links to your pictures so your pipe will be a mystery come September,,,Very Happy

You've sent the pics to Doc so you're all set,,,(no I didn't look,,),,,Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
tNd

PostSubject: Re: Any pipe carvers?   Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:28 am

mark wrote:
Well tNd the contest is based on anonymity,,if you post your pipe contest entry for everyone to see it's hard to remain anonymous.

in other words as long as the link to your pictures remains in your posting, everyone can see them and when the September first deadline arrives your pipe may not be anonymous.

Maybe just delete the two links to your pictures so your pipe will be a mystery come September,,,Very Happy

You've sent the pics to Doc so you're all set,,,(no I didn't look,,),,,Very Happy

Smile ouuppss... i am an idiot Smile Smile Smile heheheheh...
deleted Smile sorry Smile
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Any pipe carvers?   Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:06 pm

Since we have two categories (pipe from a prebored kit- pipe made from scratch) let Doc know when you send him your pictures whether it's a ,,,"kit" or "scratch",, please. tNd is the only one I know of that sent his pics so far,,his was a kit. Thanks.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
tNd

PostSubject: Re: Any pipe carvers?   Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:55 am

mark wrote:
Since we have two categories (pipe from a prebored kit- pipe made from scratch) let Doc know when you send him your pictures whether it's a ,,,"kit" or "scratch",, please. tNd is the only one I know of that sent his pics so far,,his was a kit. Thanks.

done that Smile thanks Razz
regards
daniel
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Any pipe carvers?   Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:45 pm

ABOUT THREE WEEKS LEFT BEFORE THE SEPTEMBER FIRST DEADLINE.

Plenty of time, just thought I'd stir things up a little bit,,,,affraid

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SingleMalt

PostSubject: Re: Any pipe carvers?   Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:23 pm

Yeah, it's getting close. Time for me to stop procrastinating. Smile

I worked on my pipe this weekend a good bit. Just finished the final sanding with 600-grit sandpaper this afternoon. I'm satisfied with the results, although I could probably keep tinkering with it until I sanded it into a pile of red dust.

I almost screwed up last night and lost the whole thing. I was doing some final shaping with a sanding wheel and tried to put a creative flair-type shape on the lip of the bowl. In the end, it didn't look right, so I sanded it back down and ALMOST took off too much wood. I caught myself right before I did it. It would have ruined the pipe. I was getting tired, it was hot in the garage and I wasn't thinking straight, and the area I was about to start sanding did not have the thickness for the pressure I was about to apply. Whew! Shocked

Today, I was out trying to find some alcohol-based stain. I read online that Hobby Lobby has leather dye, so I figured I'd try there. All I saw on their online store was water-based leather dyes, though. Anyway, after driving all the way over there, I was stunned to find that they're closed on Sundays. What the hell, seriously? I would think Sundays would be PRIME TIME for people relaxing with their hobbies. With brick & mortar stores struggling these days, I can't believe it would be good for business to shut down during half the weekend. Anyway, I said screw it and ordered some alcohol-based stain and intensity reducer from FurnitureKnowledge.com.

The only things I have left to do are stain the stummel, tripoli and polish the stummel (I have some carnuba wax I bought with my kit), and then finish the stem work. The stain should be in this next week, so theoretically I should be able to finish it by next weekend.

It's definitely been an experience, and I have a newfound respect for pipe crafters and the prices they charge.

Last edited by SingleMalt on Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SingleMalt

PostSubject: Re: Any pipe carvers?   Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:45 pm

Oh, and I meant to post some pictures of my setup earlier, but it slipped my mind. Here goes:

My corded drill, clamped down and chucked with a 5" sanding disc.

A closer shot of the drill/disc. This drill has a locking trigger so I can lock it in the "full blast" position. That sandpaper is 40-grit. Excellent for taking off massive amounts of briar in a few seconds.

Here's the sanding wheel I bought. I think it was less than $10, and came with a few different grits of stick-on sandpaper. I went ahead and bought a few more packs of sandpaper just in case.

Here's a 60-grit flapper sanding wheel I also bought. It's about 3" in size, and about 1" wide. I wasn't sure which would be better - the flapper wheel or the disc, so I got both. Both actually worked great, but I think overall I preferred the 5" sanding disc once I learned how to control it.

And here's the drill chucked with a buffing wheel I got as part of a 3-piece kit with tripoli compound. Here, I've loaded up the smallest buffing wheel with carnuba wax and buffed my Savinelli pipe with it. It put a nice shine back on the pipe, which lasted for almost two smokes. Now it looks dull again. Why does smoking dull a pipe so fast? Eh, that Savinelli smokes pretty hot, so I bet that's a big part of it...

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the pics. Sorry about the disaster zone that is my garage floor. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Any pipe carvers?   Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:25 am

Thanks for showing us pictures of your sanding/polishing rig SingleMalt. It shows how you can use readily available equipment for those of us that don't have "proper" machines. This is what it's all about,,,learning from each other. Anyone else with any tips please feel free to share.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
tNd

PostSubject: Re: Any pipe carvers?   Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:39 am

@SingleMalt - carnauba wax is not heat resistant... she will lost it's shine the minute you start smoking it if the pipe is hot - there is no cure for that if using carnauba... it will happen sooner if the pipe is hotter Smile cool smokers will have a longer shine Smile
Back to top Go down
TreverT

Registration date : 2008-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Any pipe carvers?   Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:17 pm

Oh, man, that takes me back...! I worked for years with a similarly crude tool setup, in a freezing garage to boot. This is one of those things that boggles my mind about some of the hobby guys, who will go out and buy a $1000 lathe before making their first four pipes. Work with some basic tools and see if you enjoy it first, and get a feel for the work, before really sinking money into tools.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.talbertpipes.com/
tNd

PostSubject: Re: Any pipe carvers?   Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:47 am

TreverT wrote:
Oh, man, that takes me back...! I worked for years with a similarly crude tool setup, in a freezing garage to boot. This is one of those things that boggles my mind about some of the hobby guys, who will go out and buy a $1000 lathe before making their first four pipes. Work with some basic tools and see if you enjoy it first, and get a feel for the work, before really sinking money into tools.

can't agree more... Smile !!!
Back to top Go down
SingleMalt

PostSubject: Re: Any pipe carvers?   Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:37 am

@tNd - thanks for the explanation on the caranuba wax. That makes sense. I guess I won't really worry about polishing my pipes much then, since I intend to smoke them. Smile

On another note, the guy from FurnitureKnowledge.com called me about my order. Turns out neither the alcohol stain nor reducer is in stock. GRRRR! Then why did you let me order them ?!?! [string of expletives deleted] Mad

So now I need to find some stain. Anyone know of a reputable place to get alcohol-based stain?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tNd

PostSubject: Re: Any pipe carvers?   Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:13 am

Pimo has them (for example)...

Pimo link
Back to top Go down
TreyRice

Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Any pipe carvers?   Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:19 pm

SingleMalt- A lot of makers use fiebings leather dies- they can be found at a leather shop like tandy's. Thats what I use. They come in many colors and work great mixed together.

Trey

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://treyricepipes.com
SingleMalt

PostSubject: Re: Any pipe carvers?   Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:24 am

Wow, I have a Tandy Leather store 7 miles from where I work. Awesome, thank you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SingleMalt

PostSubject: Re: Any pipe carvers?   Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:21 am

Just finished my pipe tonight! Woot! Only thing left is to take pictures and send them on.

Btw, the alcohol based stain worked great.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Any pipe carvers?   Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:19 pm

Hey craftsmen, friendly reminder--September 1st is the deadline for the BoB pipemaking contest. Look earlier in the thread for details, and don't forget to tell me if they're from setup kit or from scratch!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Any pipe carvers?   Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:04 am

Can we pm the actual pics or will that not work , only links ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
mark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Any pipe carvers?   Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:52 am

Doc needs you to PM him with the link to your pictures,,,,

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Any pipe carvers?   Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:24 am

Yes, links only, please. The Private Message inboxes are very small and it'll fill up too quickly with attachments (which means other guys' entries won't get through.)

Sorry for the inconvenience with that; it's the only fair way I could cook up with our tech.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808

Any pipe carvers?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next