HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Two horrible bowls in a row

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MartinH

Registration date : 2011-01-04

PostSubject: Two horrible bowls in a row   Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:28 am

So, I finally received my pipes back from the repair shop. I tried the Longchamp two days ago, and the smokes were horrible. Both Haddo's Delight and Barbary Coast tasted like absolut shite! WTH! Do I need to smoke that pipe some more, endure th terrible flavor and bite until some real carbon builds up again, or is it just me? Both the flake and the ribbon tobacco smoked terribly.

I'd appreciate some advice. What really fries my bacon is that this was my grandfather's favorite pipe. Did the restoration process screw it up?

I'm just annoyed.

On the upside, my first meer smoked beautifully. Smoked Squadron Leader, it was exquisite.

Thanks in advance guys!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.pipereviews.org
dougc905

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Two horrible bowls in a row   Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:38 am

What did the shop do to the pipe? A ream and clean? Did they polish or clean the stem?

You may want to run a pipe cleaner through that has been dipped in alcohol to verify that the airways are clean.

Other than that, just try smoking a few bowls of somewhat cool burning tobacco in the pipe. I suspect that since the pipe is leather wrapped, it may burn hotter than you are used to. This may be a pipe for English blends!

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Two horrible bowls in a row   Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:50 am

Without knowing anything more than that two pipes came back from some shop that did something to them and you didn't like the outcome, it's impossible to say.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Two horrible bowls in a row   Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:07 pm

and you had smoked both of those blends in that pipe before?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Two horrible bowls in a row   Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:29 pm

MartinH wrote:
So, I finally received my pipes back from the repair shop. I tried the Longchamp two days ago, and the smokes were horrible. Both Haddo's Delight and Barbary Coast tasted like absolut shite! WTH! Do I need to smoke that pipe some more, endure th terrible flavor and bite until some real carbon builds up again, or is it just me? Both the flake and the ribbon tobacco smoked terribly.

I'd appreciate some advice. What really fries my bacon is that this was my grandfather's favorite pipe. Did the restoration process screw it up?

I'm just annoyed.

On the upside, my first meer smoked beautifully. Smoked Squadron Leader, it was exquisite.

Thanks in advance guys!

If the pipe is made well itīll might take a few smokes to get it "in the groove" again. Thatīll happen sometimes after I trim the cake and mega-clean a pipe I know smokes well- itīll just be a little different until you get used to it.

Cake is a little like an archaeological dig. The deeper you go, the further you go back into the pipeīs smoking history. Whatever you were smoking at that time of that particular "layer" will be percieved slightly again. That has an effect on the overall taste. Also a reason why many dedicate certain pipes to a favored blend exclusively.

Some estates that were left dirty for years (just forgotten about and stored away uncleaned) have been literally soaking in the mess. After cleaning, even a good one, some of the mustiness will still be in there and can take a good while to lessen. They just have this "essence" that is aways there- especially noticeable if you smoke it after leaving it alone for a while. Using it is the only way to bing it back to life.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
MartinH

PostSubject: Re: Two horrible bowls in a row   Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:34 pm

Thanks everyone. I had the pipe completely overhauld, even had a new mouth piece added. The cake has been almost totally removed. I had never smoke these blends in this pipe before, and only aromatics.

I'll run a few pipe cleaners through and try it again and I'll let you know.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Two horrible bowls in a row   Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:24 pm

Well, if you're smoking decent tobaccos in a pipe that had smoked aromatics before, there would be a predictable clash.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
MartinH

PostSubject: Re: Two horrible bowls in a row   Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:20 pm

Yak - ah, I didn't know that. I think all my grandfather smoked were aromatics and Captain Black that he mixed and topped off with whiskey, etc. himself. I guess that maybe explains it.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Two horrible bowls in a row   Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:32 pm

The whole point of dedicating pipes to specific tobaccos (or at least to genres of them) is to avoid what you're describing.

It doesn't cost that much to have LL or Walker Briar Works "de-tox" a pipe. The problem is that they're busy, and you'll be waiting a while until your turn comes up in the queue.

If the main reason you like them is 'cause they were grandpa's, and you don't want to smoke aromatics in them, they might be better off retired and replaced by others you can smoke without raising the unquiet ghosts of aromatics past.

Onward & Upward cheers

What a Face
Back to top Go down
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Two horrible bowls in a row   Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:30 am

Martin --

Were they pipes you sent to me? I just checked my shipping log and didn't see a "Martin" lately, but board names can be anything.

If I did, my apologies and please send them back for a second purification. If I didn't, then what Yak said. Deep reaming without purifying is risky with estates when their "tobacco history" isn't known.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MartinH

PostSubject: Re: Two horrible bowls in a row   Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:16 pm

Hey everyone and LL - the pipes were sent from my local B&M to a restorer. So LL, it wasn't you. Smile But the problem is solved. I tried an English blendnd it smoked beautifully. I guess that was the problem. Thanks for al the responses!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Two horrible bowls in a row   Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:50 pm

All's well that ends well ! cheers

The more conversations we have here about this, the more it's turning out that the real square peg tobaccos in round hole pipe histories seem to consistently be Virginias. Brother Vito's been working for months on a Caminetto I sent him (when he volunteered for the job) (thread linked previously) that has an amicable disposition with Latakia and Latakia blends, but goes Borneo Savage with Virginia flakes, to see if he can coax it around without resorting to more extreme measures. It's been an interesting Odyssey (pardon the expression).

Pipes are Female ! Laughing

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Two horrible bowls in a row   Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:38 pm

MisterE wrote:
MartinH wrote:

I'm just annoyed.

Thanks in advance guys!

If the pipe is made well itīll might take a few smokes to get it "in the groove" again. Thatīll happen sometimes after I trim the cake and mega-clean a pipe I know smokes well- itīll just be a little different until you get used to it.

Cake is a little like an archaeological dig. The deeper you go, the further you go back into the pipeīs smoking history. Whatever you were smoking at that time of that particular "layer" will be percieved slightly again. That has an effect on the overall taste. Also a reason why many dedicate certain pipes to a favored blend exclusively.

Some estates that were left dirty for years (just forgotten about and stored away uncleaned) have been literally soaking in the mess. After cleaning, even a good one, some of the mustiness will still be in there and can take a good while to lessen. They just have this "essence" that is aways there- especially noticeable if you smoke it after leaving it alone for a while. Using it is the only way to bing it back to life.

I love the archeology analogy, MisterE, good stuff!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Two horrible bowls in a row
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1