HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

I would rather see it from the ground but this will do

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: I would rather see it from the ground but this will do   Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:12 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
MartinH

Registration date : 2011-01-04

PostSubject: Re: I would rather see it from the ground but this will do   Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:56 pm

That's pretty cool. I'm going to be really sad when they retire the fleet. I grew up in the 80's and I thought that we'd have shuttle type of crafts that could take off from the earth and fly into space. The space shuttle is a very cool thing. It was a symbol of the greatness of this country back then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.pipereviews.org
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: I would rather see it from the ground but this will do   Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:12 pm

I'm rather surprised they allow commercial air corridors so close to the launch pad. I would think that it would be restricted airspace for a long way out.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: I would rather see it from the ground but this will do   Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:33 pm

MartinH wrote:
I'm going to be really sad when they retire the fleet.

For the nostalgia, yes; for practical reasons, no.

The shuttle ultimately failed because it never lived up to the promise of its design. It was assumed that "re-usable" meant "inexpensive" when nothing could have been further from the truth. The stage rocket concept was, and has remained, a MUCH cheaper way to get into orbit.

Maybe now that the legacy equipment has finally worn out, we'll get serious about developing a better solution.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: I would rather see it from the ground but this will do   Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:43 pm

LL wrote:

Maybe now that the legacy equipment has finally worn out, we'll get serious about developing a better solution.

See any evidence of that? Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

PostSubject: Re: I would rather see it from the ground but this will do   Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:04 am

Hermit wrote:
LL wrote:

See any evidence of that? Evil or Very Mad

None whatsoever.

I was just bending to the Forum expectation of baseless positivity for its own sake.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: I would rather see it from the ground but this will do   Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:17 am

NeverAStraightAnswer

What a Face
Back to top Go down
sstodvictory

Registration date : 2009-12-05

PostSubject: Re: I would rather see it from the ground but this will do   Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:28 pm

Burt Rutan and his X-Prize collaborators stand on the shoulders of the NASA X-plane research and space shuttle programs, and have added their own innovations that make their effort just as amazing as the government programs, IMO. I recently viewed this DVD set describing their innovations and the commercial spin-off following the X-Prize effort. Its well worth the purchase price.

http://www.collectspace.com/resources/reviews/dvd/black_sky.html

Steve
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

PostSubject: Re: I would rather see it from the ground but this will do   Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:42 pm

sstodvictory wrote:
Burt Rutan and his X-Prize collaborators stand on the shoulders of the NASA X-plane research and space shuttle programs, and have added their own innovations that make their effort just as amazing as the government programs, IMO.

By purest chance I got to see the X Prize flight in person.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceShipOne_flight_16P

I was driving across southern California on Hwy 58, saw enough news trucks near Edwards AFB to make me stop and ask some spectators on the shoulder what was up, and they said stick around, the show is about to start.

I always travel with a good set of binoculars, so climbed on top of my load and had a perfect view. All that was missing was the popcorn.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CPl_A

Registration date : 2011-01-25

PostSubject: Re: I would rather see it from the ground but this will do   Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:44 pm

I love the piolet telling the people on the left said that they can see the right side watching the shuttle launch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

I would rather see it from the ground but this will do
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: