HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Not To Make Anyone Feel Like an Old Fart...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Not To Make Anyone Feel Like an Old Fart...   Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:24 pm

This one below always lures me, even though I don't always follow thru. I'd be in real trouble if I had that gambling addiction gene...

Subject: Don't miss out on your watched items ending soon

Don't let it get away. This item ends soon. If you want it, you'll need to bid to have a chance at winning it.

Increase your chances of winning! Get eBay mobile and you can shop, bid, and buy right from your phone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
forsooth

Registration date : 2011-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Not To Make Anyone Feel Like an Old Fart...   Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:05 pm

Hi, Carlos --

I didn't want to leave the NPR statement without comment. When "All Thing Really Are Considered," NPR receives approximately 41% of its funding from taxes, either directly or indirectly (e.g., tax breaks). (Note: this is not the figure that NPR promotes, of course.)

My main argument in this thread is that if I don't like the content of a commercial radio station, I turn it off, and they are no longer receiving the benefit of my listenership (i.e., a potential customer for their advertisers).

I don't choose listen to NPR, but my tax dollars are still supporting its biased (IMHO) content. Not fair. This is money that I could be spending toward a nice tobacco order. Very Happy

And now I'll shut up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Not To Make Anyone Feel Like an Old Fart...   Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:06 pm

Interesting point about counting the tax breaks received by corporations and individuals as part of the government funding. That is a two edged sword. One one side, some claim that makes them more government funded. But it's nearly all in the form of tax breaks, not direct monies to member stations. Hard to claim government influence with tax breaks only given to contributors.

I don't see the government having any more influence because of it. I see greater potential influence by both corporations and individuals. Corporations I may, or may not trust or like. And individuals like me. A greater participation by individuals in NPR than in any other news source. That can only be a good thing.

Remember jingles. I mean really clever jingles. From the 1960's. And earlier times. Hear one today and if you were around when I was, you will immediately remember what that product was. Maybe even who sang it or the radio/TV show that it sponsored. I don't ever recall being flooded with the same advertising back then. Perhaps it was a simpler time. Or more civilized time when people had more respect for others. I don't much like all there is in modern times.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Not To Make Anyone Feel Like an Old Fart...   Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:24 pm

Carlos wrote:
Remember jingles. I mean really clever jingles. From the 1960's. And earlier times. Hear one today and if you were around when I was, you will immediately remember what that product was. Maybe even who sang it or the radio/TV show that it sponsored.
My grandma used to sing me old radio jingles! "You'll wonder where the yellow went / When you brush your teeth with Pepsodent." And "Ticonderoga Pencils / Have won their way to fame / A fine American pencil / With a fine American name."

I don't harbor any rose-tinted illusions about a mythical Good Ol' Days, but I will admit, it was indeed a simpler time when you'd hear an ad for pencils!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
DocRx

Registration date : 2010-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Not To Make Anyone Feel Like an Old Fart...   Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:39 pm

I will kill the next caveman or gekko i come across!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sand18f

Registration date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Not To Make Anyone Feel Like an Old Fart...   Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:50 pm

I have noticed that somethings require only minimum advertising:

1. Rolex watch.

2. Colt 1911 A1

3. Randall Knife

4. Holland and Holland guns

5. Talisker 18yr Old Scotch

6. Stetson Hats

7. Bershire Hathaway

8. A 24oz. well grilled, over oak wood. steak.

9. A real leather bound book.

10. A handmade pipe.

I often wonder why that is so?

Thanks
Bill

Back to top Go down
View user profile
LIPIPE

Location : Setauket,Long Island and upstate Granville, New York
Registration date : 2010-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Not To Make Anyone Feel Like an Old Fart...   Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:54 pm

Bill: Because some guys who have been around since we have appreciate some of the finer man things in life and go after them. It's great to wear a rolex and smoke your pipe under a stetson while enjoying a good shot of scotch. Later in the afternoon, an hour or two at the range is great fun with a great gun. Especially in retirement, we have the time and the inclination to indulge ourselves in the material possessions that we did not have the time or the cash for in the busy years working multiple jobs and looking after big houses with lots of kids wrecking them. I'm a fart who believes we owe it to ourselves and I have no problem rewarding myself, just a little now and then. Things that give us pleasure are worth every penny. I can tell from looking at your avatar that you and I are men who appreciate some of the finer things a man can have. Live large my friend!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sand18f

Registration date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Not To Make Anyone Feel Like an Old Fart...   Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:17 pm

The greatest joy in the world, to me, is giving it all away.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LIPIPE

PostSubject: Re: Not To Make Anyone Feel Like an Old Fart...   Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:31 pm

Well then don't hesitate to PM me anytime. I'll be glad to help you out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sasquatch

Registration date : 2008-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Not To Make Anyone Feel Like an Old Fart...   Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:06 pm

I feel really uncomfortable advertising both for my work (carpentry and renos) and my pipes. I refuse to have an angle. I try hard to make okay stuff, and build a reputation for that.

But it is SURELY helpful to add a little magic to a "big time" product, whether it's something as mystical as "dead root" briar or whatever it is they pour into Rolexes that make them 10 times more expensive than a Swiss Army watch.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
LIPIPE

PostSubject: Re: Not To Make Anyone Feel Like an Old Fart...   Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:46 pm

Sas: Rolex is just hype. I wear a $50.00 Amitron I purchased at Walmart and it keeps perfect time. Your large pipe is a beauty. Don't be uncomfortable and keep up your good work. Anybody with common sense who enjoys a pipe appreciates what you make.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Not To Make Anyone Feel Like an Old Fart...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: