HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The 1st Annual Ken Collins Exchange.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: The 1st Annual Ken Collins Exchange.   Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:54 pm

Cool. Let us know the details. sunny

I am playing in the cellar today. Trying to decide what to select. Always good to go though the tins from time to time. I found 6 flat tins of Charles Fairmorn Dark Fired shag that all show rust but still have a seal. Be checking them all good and jarring what is salvageable. I wasn't thinking of sending any of these, just something I noticed while digging. Last one I opened, the paper liner was heavily stained. So those are not good for long term storage. These are from 2005. They were just fine last fall.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gandalfpc

Registration date : 2009-10-03

PostSubject: Re: The 1st Annual Ken Collins Exchange.   Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:25 am

A wonderful package arrived today containing a selection that epitomizes good taste - Tins of Meridian, Exhausted Rooster, Dunhill London Blend, Astley's 109 Flake and a healthy purse of McClelland 2015 cheers

Couldn't have hit my taste buds any more squarely if you tried Smile

Thanks a bunch brother - three cheers!

Guess I'd better get off my arse and pack a box - will take a little while to shovel the dust off the secret door that guards the cellar...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frost

Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: The 1st Annual Ken Collins Exchange.   Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:29 am

Good work so far fellas, keep it up! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The 1st Annual Ken Collins Exchange.   Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:51 pm

Still digging in the cellar.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: The 1st Annual Ken Collins Exchange.   Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:52 pm

Jeez Carlos! You've obviously got WAY too much tobacco. We, as your brothers, are here for you.

I think in addition to sending to your selected partner you should wrap up what you don't send him and divide it up among the rest of us. It would certainly relieve the evident angst of having to dig and scrounge around for the Spring cleaning thing that certainly has you by the short hairs! We want to help, faithfull in your hour of need!

So...on another note: Taken from the 'quote' at the bottom of your posts...are you perchance a LOTR fan?

View user profile
Mikem
The Coordinator

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: The 1st Annual Ken Collins Exchange.   Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:50 pm

As promised (since I got time to breath and relax on a day off) here is a list of what my benefactor sent me (and what a list it is):

8 ounces of Star of the East bulk
One tin of 2006 C&D Snug Harbor
One tin of Mac Barren Vintage Syrian
Two tins of Esoterica Pembroke
One tin of Orlik Gold Sliced
One tin of 2002 C&D Brigadier
One pouch of B27 Smooth Black and Gold Cavendish

A box of five Oliva Maduro cigars

And last but surely not least a Mike Brissett Poker pipe which I will enjoy for years to come.

I thank you Sir. You really did some homework on this one. You truly lived up to the spirit and generosity of Ken.

P.S.: A box is headed East from Arizona as we speak. I hope that my recipient enjoys his box as much as I know I will enjoy this one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The 1st Annual Ken Collins Exchange.   Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:24 pm

Nice box MikeM! I know how well you like Mike's pipes, so that should be a real pleasure to smoke for years.

Blackhorse: Yep, and fan of many things, LOTW included. Some quotes really strike me as something to think hard about. This was one. And I do have several cabinets stuffed. It's the piles that I need to sort out. Was looking for something special that I just know is here someplace. sunny

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: The 1st Annual Ken Collins Exchange.   Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:37 am

Gotta get my butt moving and pack my Ken-Box this weekend. I had planned to have it arrive as close to May first as I could, being the glorious workers mass celebration I'm sure we all observe?!? cheers

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: The 1st Annual Ken Collins Exchange.   Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:12 pm

WORK SUCKS!!!!

lol.

I'm watching..

Better yet..

Kens watching...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The 1st Annual Ken Collins Exchange.   Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:39 pm

Quote :
I'm watching..

Better yet..

Kens watching...

So THAT'S what that prickly kinda feeling down the back of my neck is all about! lol

Still working over here. I've got most of my box decided but I'm still working on one project that will be included. Steel takes its own time...at least for me.

View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: The 1st Annual Ken Collins Exchange.   Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:43 pm

puros_bran wrote:
WORK SUCKS!!!!

lol.

I'm watching..

Better yet..

Kens watching...

Well sure, just like Labor Day and most "national" holidays in the US, we celebrate by not working, having a picnic, drinking lots of beer, and generally avoiding anything that approaches "labor"!

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frost

PostSubject: Re: The 1st Annual Ken Collins Exchange.   Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:47 pm

I do that during regular "non-holi" days too scratch cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
talrmn35

Registration date : 2010-12-09

PostSubject: Re: The 1st Annual Ken Collins Exchange.   Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:35 pm

Just got the last of my goods for the box together...I sure hope they like it. I want to do good being this is my first pass and I wasn't to sure what the "norm" was. Well hopefully my "bomb" will take off by the end of the week!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frost

PostSubject: Re: The 1st Annual Ken Collins Exchange.   Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:25 pm

Wahoo! I just got home from jiu jitsu and went to lay my keys on the table and what do I see? A magic box of mystery with my name on it!

Awesomeness.

I was so excited I momentarilly forgot that I need to go take a shower 'cause I just spent a couple hours rolling around on the floor with other sweaty men trying to maim and/or incapacitate eachother and I smell like...unspeakable things.

I almost decided that it was worth risking MRSA rather than wait to see what was in the box, but my better judgement won out for once. After cleansing away all the little germinoids I ran downstairs, shoved my wife out of the way, kicked the cat out of the way and got down to business!

What could it be...?

Ta-da!

Looks like approximately 2 ozs each (best guess, don't have a scale or anything) of

C&D Briar Fox from 2004

G&H Bob's Chocolate Flake

and perhaps the piece de resistance of the lot: Stonehaven from 2005! I have been itching to try this blend for a while but for one reason or another have never managed to get my hands on any of it. Can't wait to smoke this....now, what to smoke it in...?

Oh I know! how about one of these two sandblasted beuties that were also in the box!

Even more awesomeness. Two great looking pipes that I can't wait to smoke. Not sure if it comes through on the pics but the canted dublin has a crazy blast...it's marked Digby which I believe was a GBD line if I recall correctly. The small billiard/lumberman type should be a perfect everday carry pocket pipe. Both look to be almost certainly fine smokers and in a shape and with an old world stlyle that is right up my alley. My benefactor certainly has a good eye and knows where it's at Wink

Thank you sir, your generosity and taste have made Frosty very happy Very Happy and I feel honored to receive such treasures. Very Happy Well done. cheers

Last edited by Frost on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : because when you type alot of crap in one post you will inevitably screw something up)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: The 1st Annual Ken Collins Exchange.   Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:04 am

Nice. I am being blown away at the generosity of the bros! cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The 1st Annual Ken Collins Exchange.   Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:48 am

WOW! You're right about the blast on the Dublin...very AGRESSIVE! Awesomeness.

Now about all that stuff re: rolling around on the floor with sweaty men and kickin' yer wife outta the way...

...well, I mighta done the second one...but not with MY wife! lol

Looks like your 'box buddy' done you proud!

View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: The 1st Annual Ken Collins Exchange.   Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:01 am

Budda Budda Budda
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gandalfpc

Registration date : 2009-10-03

PostSubject: Re: The 1st Annual Ken Collins Exchange.   Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:35 am

That dublin's a looker cyclops

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
happypipester

Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: The 1st Annual Ken Collins Exchange.   Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:52 pm

Hey fellas, looks like things are going great! Makes me super-excited to send out my package this weekend.. I'm gonna try my darndest to make this package something Ken would be proud of.

The last week or so hasn't been the most pleasant for me but things like this keep me feeling positive.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The 1st Annual Ken Collins Exchange.   Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:22 pm

So - on the last round of pics - I take it the 'Ho Ti" carving is something you had on hand? Good luck piece, as I understand the mythology, etc. Nice. I love stuff like that, being a carver myself. My Dad had one of those aroound and I always thought it was cool, wish I still had that one. At this point I have very little 'memorobilia' of his left. Such is life.

PS: I'm gonna get in there and ammend my profile thing. My posts take up WAY too much room with the list the way it is. Also seems a little 'braggy' which isn't my style. Well...it's NOT!

View user profile
happypipester

Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: The 1st Annual Ken Collins Exchange.   Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:48 pm

Well fellas, I checked with one of my sisters to see if anything had arrived at home and the answer was YES! I had her inspect the markings.. it came from the Ken Collins Appreciation Society. Being the patient type that I am, I begged my sister to send a pic of the goodies as soon as she could... I couldn't see everything really clearly in the pic, but it looks like there's 6 tins of some darn fine baccy, some pipe cleaners, a fine looking pipe (Savinelli according to my sister, one of my favourite brands!) and a tamper (I couldn't see it too well, but my sister said she thought it was bone... YESSSS!! I absolutely love the bone tamper my Secret Santa sent me this year.. it will certainly be wonderful to have a second!!). I'll post more info and hopefully some pics this weekend.

Thank you so much to whomever sent this beautiful package. I won't lie, after a week of being sick as a dog while trying to work, keep up with several important family issues and an unpleasant situation with a class project (nothing terrible, but I'll say this: the more I experience the modern world, the more I realize I'm an old soul.. it's things like this exchange that make me very appreciative of the kindness of others who share this simple hobby with me; Ken's name and spirit live on!) I have to admit I almost cried.

Best wishes and God bless,
Travis
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The 1st Annual Ken Collins Exchange.   Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:56 pm

Great bombs fellows!! Cool

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frost

PostSubject: Re: The 1st Annual Ken Collins Exchange.   Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:06 pm

I actually have no idea where that Hotei statuette thingy came from BH, but I dig it so I put it in pics just for the heck of it. I guess it is a good luck thing of sorts, but really it has no intended significance. It's brass or some similar metal. Seems to have alot of joy in the expression which seems appropriate for pipe and baccy pics.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sand18f

Registration date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: The 1st Annual Ken Collins Exchange.   Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:36 am

I'm sorry that I missed this one guys. I've been running from one end of the state to the other for the past two months, hopefully have that little bit of business taken care of.

You guys are the heat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The 1st Annual Ken Collins Exchange.   Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:56 am

Alright. Found that special something. But I have some work to do. Still going to be a few more days before I get the appliance dolly to tote the MOAB to the Post Office.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

The 1st Annual Ken Collins Exchange.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: Community In Action-
Jump to: