BoB POY??

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

BoB POY?? Empty
PostSubject: BoB POY??   BoB POY?? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 4:15 pm

I got to thinking after seeing one of Natch´s posts on a new Michael Parks commission pipe.

Has anyone thought of maybe having another BoB Pipe of the Year done? It´s been a couple of years now, and there are so many super talented pipe making members that it would be a waste to not to get the community in action by commissioning something.

It might be a little late, but a 2011 Christmas pipe might not be out of the question if we get on it.

Anybody else interested?

Chime in!!
Back to top Go down
Natch

Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

BoB POY?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: BoB POY??   BoB POY?? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 4:22 pm

I had just posted on another thread about my Tinsky BoB pipe of the year. It's a fantastic smoking pipe. I'd be up for one.

Natch
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

Registration date : 2007-12-10

BoB POY?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: BoB POY??   BoB POY?? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 5:15 pm

Carlos organized the last POY.. may I suggest you check with him and if he's not interested possibly take on the project yourself?
Back to top Go down
NeroWolfe

NeroWolfe

Registration date : 2009-07-29

BoB POY?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: BoB POY??   BoB POY?? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 5:28 pm

I would consider
Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

BoB POY?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: BoB POY??   BoB POY?? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 6:10 pm

I would be more than happy to be involved in any way. I´ll contact Carlos and see where he stands...
Back to top Go down
Carlos
Admin
Carlos

Registration date : 2007-12-10

BoB POY?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: BoB POY??   BoB POY?? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 9:52 pm

Well, I searched high and low, but all the threads are lost from the 2008 POY. This is the shape we had. With less of a curved shank.

Tinsky Shape 13

Our timing was perfect. Mark came out with a shape that matched what we were thinking about at the time and he was gracious enough to handle nearly all the work. He set up a link on his web site and we simply promoted it. Mark handled all the orders and payments. He also offered a lot of options and finishes. All the BoB Forum pipes were stamped upon request. The shape is a squat bulldog.

That is one way to handle a project like this. Other ways usually involve finding a carver and collecting money. Deciding on a shape and finish that works for all. Sometimes pipes are mailed to one person and other times by the carver. Different ways of doing it brings it's own problems. I have gotten some really nice pipes over the years. Some of the finest value for the money pipes were a Lee Von Erck, a Morretti, a couple Rad Davis, a Peterson, and several Mark Tinsky pipes. Others for sure have slipped my mind.

I am all for discussion on it. See if we can get some idea of numbers. A consensus on the shape and cost. Not so sure I have the time to ramrod it. So, let's discuss it and see what we come up with.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
Hermit

Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

BoB POY?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: BoB POY??   BoB POY?? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 10:21 pm

Carlos wrote:
Well, I searched high and low, but all the threads are lost from the 2008 POY. This is the shape we had. With less of a curved shank.

Here's mine:
BoB POY?? Bob11
Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

BoB POY?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: BoB POY??   BoB POY?? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 10:33 pm

Probably the most important thing would be to ascertain how many people would commit and within what price range per pipe we could agree on. I seem to remember a poll of some sort along those lines.

One thing I would suggest is to limit the search for a maker within the BoB community. We can keep it "home grown" that way. I have no idea how we could come to a consensus on who to approach, however.. Perhaps a poll of some sort? How´d that work last time? The only drawback with that approach might be hard feelings by those not chosen etc. Like I said, I don´t know.... Thoughts?

Back to top Go down
mark
Admin
mark

Registration date : 2008-07-02

BoB POY?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: BoB POY??   BoB POY?? EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 1:08 am

as long as they're not finished in olive oil

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down

BoB POY??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: Community In Action-
Jump to: