HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Anyone else into Black Cavendish?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jay_Williams

Registration date : 2011-03-16

PostSubject: Anyone else into Black Cavendish?   Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:37 am

Since I started using my Peterson dry system a lot more I find Black Cavendish amazing to smoke.

anyone else into the Cavendish?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=501583141
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into Black Cavendish?   Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:44 am

Regular black cav... No!!!!!!

But blends with a little sweet black cav are ok by me.. Like Peter Stokkebye English Luxury or their Luxury Twist (or whatever they call it).

Black Cavendish gets a bad rap for the most part.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jay_Williams

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into Black Cavendish?   Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:53 am

You know I just had the English Luxury a week ago and though it was heavenly, for awhile I stayed away from the Black Cavendish but since coming around to it, it's becoming a favorite.
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into Black Cavendish?   Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:04 am

Its kinda funny how many guys claim to hate Cavendish but smoke it in blends without even thinking about it.. Like Dunhill 965, that stuff is loaded with "unsweetened" cav..

It reminds me alot of guys that claim to hate aromatics yet smoke GH&Co 'lakelands'..

I believe we pipesmokers rely alot more on our preconceived notions than we do our tastebuds. I could be wrong,but I don't think I am. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jay_Williams

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into Black Cavendish?   Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:10 am

Oh yeah I surly agree, I tend to keep and open mind when it comes to tobacco, wither it be a burley, aromatic, flake, Latakia. you never know what your gonna enjoy
Back to top Go down
talrmn35

Registration date : 2010-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into Black Cavendish?   Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:06 am

I'm with PB on this one...mix it in and I can enjoy it, but not so much on its own. DH 965, Lux Twist Flake are some of my favorites.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
forsooth

Registration date : 2011-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into Black Cavendish?   Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:27 am

By "Black Cavendish," are you referring to Lane's BC-A? If so, I really like it. I also like McClelland's Vanilla Black Cavendish.

I started smoking a pipe in January, so I'm still trying to sort out what will work for me. As part of a large ($250) tobacco order from pipesandcigars.com, I bought 4 oz. of Haunted Bookshop because I had read so many good reviews about it. I tried it yesterday morning, and loved the aroma and taste, but it bit my tongue in an awful way, even though I was consciously smoking at a moderate pace. Later that day, I thought, it cannot be as much of a biter as I believed, so I tried it again. Ye Gads! I could not finish the bowl.

Obviously, Haunted House is considered an excellent blend, but not for me at this time. But I do quite enjoy BC-A and VBC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into Black Cavendish?   Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:43 am

Add me to the chorus of people who like it as a supporting player. I find I like some added sweetness when it is outdoor smoking weather. Even the "American English" style, which brings burley and BC to the party, really hits the spot for me sometimes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into Black Cavendish?   Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:30 pm

Put me down as another supporter of Lane's BC-A. But then, i'm not very particular when it comes to Tobacco blends. For me it depends upon what i'm in the mood for. Whether it's Dunhill 965, Mac Baren's Black Ambrosia, McClelland's Tudor Castle, or Captain Black White - it's all about what i'm in the mood for at any particular time.

But to the OP, yes - I do enjoy an occasional bowl of Black Cavendish; you're not alone Brother.

Last edited by Rob_In_MO on Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jay_Williams

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into Black Cavendish?   Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:12 pm

Dunhill 965 is a damn good blend, love it on a overcast day
Back to top Go down
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into Black Cavendish?   Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:36 pm

I like it in limited doses as well. As others have said it´s part of many of the well known and loved blends but just not in the forefront. PS Bullseye Flake comes to mind as one I smoke regularly...

Lately I´ve HAD to smoke straight black cavendish as about 5 lbs. of tobacco I ordered is lost somewhere in Mexican customs. MacBaren aros are the only thing available here and Black Ambrosia happens to be one of 'em. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jazzman

Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into Black Cavendish?   Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:41 pm

I'm not into anything aromatic. However, it's funny that there's a thread about BC because tucked in my last 2 orders from Smokingpipes.com is a sample 1.5 oz of B20 Black Cavendish by Altadis. That's 3 oz I'd happily trade for any non-aromatic. PM me if interested.

Peace-Mike cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Milan

Registration date : 2011-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into Black Cavendish?   Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:53 pm

I'm a fan of Black Cavendish. It's an old reliable for me. It's like toasted wet donuts on a grilled leather sock. Love it! In fact, I'm going to tuck a poke now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into Black Cavendish?   Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:46 pm

Most of my favorite blends have a black cav. in it. I like 'em slightly sweetened, too. I have never tried it alone, but may need to sometime.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com
Jay_Williams

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into Black Cavendish?   Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:47 pm

yeah it's defiantly good with a blend or alone, i prefer alone but a cherry cav is pretty good
Back to top Go down
R.A.

Registration date : 2011-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into Black Cavendish?   Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:37 am

Yea I had a bowl these past 2 days, I believe its the Lane brand, it was sold as Black Cavendish at RJ outlet in Smithfield in the tobacco/cigar shop, out of the bulk jar.

Problem was its sticky moist I loaded the calabash up 3 days ago charred it tamped it down and set the pipe aside and didn't smoke it till yesterday and finished the bowl today,

It was pleasant, good flavor, quite mild to me.

After reading about moisture producing heat and foul taste, I been doing that routine with the aros and found they provide a much better smoke,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cuervo25_1

Registration date : 2011-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into Black Cavendish?   Sun May 01, 2011 1:17 am

Never tried it straight yet,mostly I smoke aromatic blends that contain it which I like. I did pick up a tin of mature Va to try that had no cavendish in it at all, I like that a great deal. the only other thing I had that didn't have it was sir walter raleigh which I did not like.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
itsKot

Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into Black Cavendish?   Tue May 03, 2011 11:01 am

Playing a second or even third fiddle to VA or perique it's heavenly. I haven't ever had the chance to smoke it straight though, so I cannot comment on that. I also like a small tad in with some burley to give the nuttines a little sweet kick. For me it's a teaking agent like latakia, oriental, and perique. Though I certainly won't stop anyone from doing or smoking what they enjoy, to each his own!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
billm67

Registration date : 2011-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into Black Cavendish?   Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:24 pm

I like aromatic blends.....it is the majority of what I smoke. The other good thing about them is that they rarely offend anyone. I was once smoking a light english blend with latakia and my wife said....what are you smoking in that thing...dogs**t?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guy

Registration date : 2011-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into Black Cavendish?   Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:47 pm

Black Cavendish is a fine smoke. Much like food you can’t live with on one type. Well, that is the way I view it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into Black Cavendish?   Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:15 pm

Most of my experience with Cavendish has been in so called "Danish" blends, which seemed too OTT sweet and cloying.

OK, so that was many years ago before I took my pipe hiatus for about 10 years. Been back for a couple years now and need to revisit my likes and dislikes more thoughtfully. Many tastes I once had that many years ago may or may not apply today. So I'll go forward with an open mind. (How's that for a pc opening? LOL!)

I've also realised that Cav plays a role in several of the blends that I like right now, namely GLP Haddos Delight (unsweetened) and Peterson Old Dublin. So it seems that Cav does play a role in my present preferences.

While the former several examples probably don't show Cav in a forward role, when used as a condimental tobac and not as a flavor foward addition I have a much easier time dealing with it.

In general, overly sweet (or shall I say unnaturally sweet) blends are like anathema to me. Some of my memory of sweetened Black Cav and Danish blends clearly derives from this.

As always, YMMV.

Smoke what you like my brothers . It's all good.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
whitebriar

Registration date : 2010-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into Black Cavendish?   Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:35 pm

used sparingly as a condiment, it's fine for me--cavendish is used in many blends--i tried BCA straight once--wouldn't make a habit of that--

i really like a Good Burley, salted with just a bit of BCA and Latakia--gives it a slightly sweet smokey flavor--if that's an ARO (and i guess it is) i must plead guilty--
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into Black Cavendish?   Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:54 pm

Just got a pouch of Black Cav as an extra from a recent 'baccy order. Normally I'd gift this away to an aromatic piper, yet the aroma is quite beguiling.....somewhat like sweet molasses.

I've one pipe that I use exclusively for the very occasional aromatic and will give this a whirl just for the fun of it. Who knows, it may become a guilty pleasure!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into Black Cavendish?   Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:26 pm

I have a small pouch of Black Cav on hand to put at the bottom of the bowl. Sometimes I like layering a non-aromatic on top of it, finishing sweet (like dessert). I've been scoffed at by pipe smokers for being so uncouth. So, I like it, it has its uses, but a full bowl? Gets kind of unidimensional.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
whitebriar

Registration date : 2010-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into Black Cavendish?   Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:27 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
I have a small pouch of Black Cav on hand to put at the bottom of the bowl. Sometimes I like layering a non-aromatic on top of it, finishing sweet (like dessert). I've been scoffed at by pipe smokers for being so uncouth. So, I like it, it has its uses, but a full bowl? Gets kind of unidimensional.

many times uncouth is good--if it works, do it--
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Anyone else into Black Cavendish?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next