HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Any Thought's?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Any Thought's?   Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:36 am

After reading this article this morning, I started wondering what's next? It would seem if health care costs are higher for smokers, then wouldn't they also be higher if said employee had a bodyfat percentage higher than ideal for their height and age?

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2011/03/18/are-jobs-for-tobacco-users-going-up-in-smoke/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl10%7Csec3_lnk2%7C206555
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flytyer

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Any Thought's?   Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:55 am

I had to pay a higher copay for my insurance this past year, because i smoke a few pipes/ cigars a week. If companies are allowed to do this I think others should be charged higher rates based on what food they eat, how often they go to the gym or excersize,if they have history of high blood pressure,or certain diseases that run in there family. If tobacco users are going to be charged more,or not be considered for jobs everyone should looked at for any extra costs they may incur an employer...and charged more accordingly.If all these ideas take off the possibilities are endless. Eventually everyone will have to change how they live, or be penalized in some way for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Any Thought's?   Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:06 am

They have long been determined that you WILL obey them.

The problem has been the procedures to force compliance efficiently. (Blood in the streets is not only counterproductive, but it unequivocably identifies you as the enemy).

Medical records being hedged in secrecy, they need an admission by you that you're a tobacco user. Insurance forms -- vola !

Now stay tuned for mandatory pee testing to see if there's nicotene in your system.

What a Face

Back to top Go down
forsooth

Registration date : 2011-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Any Thought's?   Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:01 pm

Ditto, Yak.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flytyer

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Any Thought's?   Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:58 pm

We were informed that if we were found to have a tobacco related health issue...and were listed as non tobacco user on our insurance..that it would be grounds for termination as false representation on doncuments. In other words evan if you chew or have one smoke a week your a user.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

PostSubject: Re: Any Thought's?   Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:42 pm

I work sometimes in a hazardous environment. I'm guessing that if said employee were injured after having denied tobacco use on the entrance interview and paperwork, the company that employ's them could weasel it's way out of it's liability if they could prove otherwise.

The second thing that happens after a workplace accident is a drug test.

When someone is injured under the employ of a company, the next thing human resources does after securing the situation, is to start working on a list of ways to limit their liability.

Even when a company is clearly at fault in an accident, some companies will use any excuse to terminate an employee if they are legally able to do so.

Most cigarette smokers will answer yes in their entrance interview because they know they are going to smoke in the presence of their co-workers.

We pipe smokers on the otherhand don't like being lumped in with cigarette smokers, because the risks aren't as high for health related problems for pipe and cigar smokers. In addition, some pipe and cigar smokers smoke so infrequently, they may never smoke at work.

These circumstances could leave a fellow BOB in quite a perdicament, if he ends up in the wrong circumstances at work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
forsooth

PostSubject: Re: Any Thought's?   Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:16 pm

Basically, it seems that a 2-5 bowl-per-day non-inhaling pipe smoker is just breathing second-hand smoke. Is is a given that such a pipe-smoker will be identified on a nicotine test?

What about a total non-smoker who attended a family reunion where everybody smoked, or went to a bar that allowed smoking?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Any Thought's?   Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:08 pm

forsooth wrote:
Basically, it seems that a 2-5 bowl-per-day non-inhaling pipe smoker is just breathing second-hand smoke. Is is a given that such a pipe-smoker will be identified on a nicotine test?
I can tell you that my one-pipe-a-day smoking caused a positive in a test for an insurance company. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

PostSubject: Re: Any Thought's?   Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:30 pm

If I'm not mistaken, the tests check for chemicals your body produces when exposed to particular substances, not for nicotine itself for example.

I had gone in to see a new doctor that had taken over the practice, when my doctor had moved out of state. I had a sinus infection and asked if I could get a prescription for an antibiotic and something for chest congestion.

Her reply was that until I gave up smoking she wouldn't be able to help me with sinus infections or chest congestion in writing any prescriptions. It didn't take long to find another doctor.

I felt she was on some sort of personal mission to stop any patients she had from smoking. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Any Thought's?   Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:04 am

I told my doctor I smoke a pipe... he said it sounded "dignified." Now that's some solid medical diagnosing!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Any Thought's?   Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:20 am

The only pleasure smokers will get from this movement is being able to laugh and say, "I told you so" when the slippery slope becomes obvious to all. BMI, fat percentage, excess drinking, hazardous hobbies/sports, etc. are all now fair game, and will be exploited. The legal precedent is firmly in place, and the digital records & processing necessary to track and enforce such action gets more cost-efficient every day.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CLRV

Registration date : 2010-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Any Thought's?   Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:30 am

All I can say is this is why I'm moving out into the middle of rural Oklahoma (redundant, I know) where everyone leaves you alone and the government have bigger fish to fry than a pipe smoker. The faster we slip into a police state, whether publicly run or privatized, the more 50 acres and a log cabin seems like a really really good idea.

All we can do is wait and see on how slippery the slope gets. I think it is likely, as has been said, that the diet/alcohol issues are up next for the nannytocracy we apparently live in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sand18f

Registration date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Any Thought's?   Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:21 am

CLRV wrote:
All I can say is this is why I'm moving out into the middle of rural Oklahoma (redundant, I know) where everyone leaves you alone and the government have bigger fish to fry than a pipe smoker. The faster we slip into a police state, whether publicly run or privatized, the more 50 acres and a log cabin seems like a really really good idea.

All we can do is wait and see on how slippery the slope gets. I think it is likely, as has been said, that the diet/alcohol issues are up next for the nannytocracy we apparently live in.

Did you ever read anything about Ruby Ridge???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
forsooth

PostSubject: Re: Any Thought's?   Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:35 am

CLRV -- Just make sure you have an internet connection or we'll lose you.

Interesting to know that these tests will pick up a 1-pipe per day non-inhaler.

LL - It is all about the encroaching government control from the LEFT, handily helped along by RINOs.

I'm sensing a 3rd party on the horizon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CLRV

PostSubject: Re: Any Thought's?   Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:43 am

Big difference between country lawyer and a relative extremist who pops up on the radar for selling sawed off shotguns and attending Aryan Brotherhood meetings. Not that Ruby Ridge wasn't a massive failure of policy for the ATF, USMS, and FBI.

EDIT:

And yes, lol, I'll always have internet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sand18f

PostSubject: Re: Any Thought's?   Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:37 pm

CLRV wrote:
Big difference between country lawyer and a relative extremist who pops up on the radar for selling sawed off shotguns and attending Aryan Brotherhood meetings. Not that Ruby Ridge wasn't a massive failure of policy for the ATF, USMS, and FBI.

EDIT:

And yes, lol, I'll always have internet.

De mortuis nil nisi bonum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CLRV

PostSubject: Re: Any Thought's?   Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:05 pm

He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Any Thought's?   Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:32 pm

William Blake wrote:
Always be ready to speak your mind, and a base man will avoid you.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
sand18f

PostSubject: Re: Any Thought's?   Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:38 pm

Stay in the middle of the herd you'll be okay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CLRV

PostSubject: Re: Any Thought's?   Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:07 pm

Don't have to be faster than the bear, just the guy behind you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Any Thought's?   Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:24 pm

When you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
LL

PostSubject: Re: Any Thought's?   Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:41 pm

forsooth wrote:

LL - It is all about the encroaching government control from the LEFT, handily helped along by RINOs.

Laughing

The enemy isn't some political party or group of people. Never has been, and never will be.

It is the behavior bred into us by our environment over several million years. The characteristics that served individuals and small groups well on the savannah, and while living in caves, and while using stone tools just happen to be the opposite of what's needed now that cooperation is necessary to survive as a large (planet-wide) group.

In short, politics is a symptom, not a cause.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
forsooth

PostSubject: Re: Any Thought's?   Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:37 pm

LL -- I could not possibly disagree more. But, I'll leave it at that. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

PostSubject: Re: Any Thought's?   Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:45 pm

forsooth wrote:
LL -- I could not possibly disagree more. But, I'll leave it at that. Smile

Let's see... I couldn't possibly disagree more with your unstated disagreement.

Furthermore, I'll not only leave it at that, but I'm gonna italicize and underline the word: At that.

So there.

Anyone care to disagree with my disagreement of forsooth's disagreement? If so, know that I will in turn disagree with you, so don't bother.

Gimme a fukkin break. (insert forehead-slapping icon)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CLRV

PostSubject: Re: Any Thought's?   Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:19 pm

I have always found it interesting that those who are so passionately against the tyranny of the majority one moment are the ones who so readily impose their own will on the minority once they take power again.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Any Thought's?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: