HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Knox News

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Knox News   Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:43 pm

How many of you guys were on the old JRBB before Pipemaker and I ruined it and they shut it down? lol!

Man! we were hav'n fun back in those days! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Vito

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: The thing that counts most   Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:11 pm

jhuggett wrote:
...My loyalty really lies with the people I converse with everyday. They make the board, not the hosts/admin...
That's the bottom line for me. Exclamation

Any way you cut it, the Knox board is barely alive now. There have been something like 20 posts in the last two days; three of them are spam, and many of the rest are by one person whose reasons for posting are seldom clear to me.

For all intents and purposes, this is home now. Cool

Vito jocolor

071222-Fixed typo

Last edited by on Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html

PostSubject: Re: Knox News   Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:38 pm

"and many of the rest are by one person whose reasons for posting are seldom clear to me."

LOL, Vito! I don't know if it's a gift, or if you work at it, but you have a way of phrasing things that makes everything you write a pleasure to read. I thought about the multitude of ways that I would have described "the intrepid troll" and I marvel at how you captured the essence of that poor lost soul with such humorous eloquence. Wonder how long ol' Sisyphus-spooler will continue to push that rock up the hill before he realizes there's no one there to annoy... guy's a real trooper.
Back to top Go down
Tony Ferrill
The Enlightened One

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Knox News   Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:58 pm

You guys are too much! Laughing Courtesy and respect to all.....especially the ones that actually need it,as above referenced fellow at the old board....
I like it here.I hope the info moves forward with the BB here,KCBB was a rich source of information,as well as a source of meeting kindred minds....but I believe I am here for the duration.
Tony
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thomas james
Italian Stallion

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Knox News   Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:05 pm

Said "fooler" is up to six consecutive posts in a thread he started and no one else has posted to.

Was it Nixon who coined the expression "Let me say this about that?"

Too funny!

Almost worth pm'n him our new address just to watch afro zap him.

Be like Mean Joe Green face maskin a punk wide receiver. cheers

tj
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: The Intrepid Troll   Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:20 pm

gatewheel wrote:
...LOL, Vito! I don't know if it's a gift, or if you work at it, but you have a way of phrasing things that makes everything you write a pleasure to read.
Gate:

I assure you, amigo, the pleasure is entirely mutual. I honestly don't know how you think of the stuff you come up with, but your posts consistently evoke guffaws aplenty here in VitoSpace. Humor with obvious intelligence behind it is my kinda comedy. You, PD, and GLP are the principal proponents, hereabouts. When youse guys are serious, it's always worth reading. When you're not, I'm usually ROTFLMAO.
Quote :
I thought about the multitude of ways that I would have described "the intrepid troll" and I marvel at how you captured the essence of that poor lost soul with such humorous eloquence. Wonder how long ol' Sisyphus-spooler will continue to push that rock up the hill before he realizes there's no one there to annoy...guy's a real trooper.
"...a real trooper" Yeah, I guess you gotta give him points for persistence, if nothing else.

I admit to being tempted to make some unkind cuts, but I figure there's no need to pillory the guy; he prolly has a hard enough time already just being him. He's got one thread going wherein all the posts are his. I'm not sure whether to be saddened or amused by it.

More than anything, I'm just plain baffled. confused

Vito jocolor
Back to top Go down
howellhandmade

Registration date : 2007-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Knox News   Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:36 pm

It seems to me that this board has some momentum -- much more activity of interest than any of the others at the moment. Whether it's jut that point in its life cycle or whether there's something else, I enjoy it. I realize that Knox provided (and provides) a forum, but that was a mixed blessing. This anecdote is related not out of any irritation or ill will, merely for illustration. I had tried to join the Knox board three times over the past year, and received the acknowledgment of application but not approval, despite several emails each time. When I mentioned this to Neill and Greg they contacted Steve and I did get approval, but not before this board started. Certainly it is understandable for a businessman to be too busy with business to deal with a fringe activity like an online BB, but this board suffers no such handicap, and can easily grow, whereas the Knox BB seems unlikely to do so.

Jack
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Knox News   Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:43 pm

justpipes, I was on the JRBB for about a month before it closed down, then with the first 2 incarnations of Stoker's Haven, then Knox, then here. Was banned from the Yahoo forum for making an analogy to the drinking of Irishmen, something no Irishman would have objected to. Pipemaker tried to ban me for not liking bowl chamber diameters less than 7/8" but I survived his big black afro.
Back to top Go down
Midnight Blues
Vinyl`meister

PostSubject: Re: Knox News   Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:02 am

jhuggett wrote:
I like that signature Midnight! Laughing

Really I wouldn't have any hard feelings if people wanted to only post at KCBB. I've been having fun doing this and I foresee it moving forward in one direction or another.

Jason, ever since I found my way here by following the trail of bread crumbs Tj left I really thought of this place as a Brotherhood. Not just a group of men who liked pipes but a group of men who share a connection to whats good and right and decent. What better way to depict that sentiment than the Musketeers.

All for one One for all Like I said before I'm staying.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dock
BoB's Team

PostSubject: Re: Knox News   Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:05 am

As long as "BoB" stays afloat I will likely be doing the majority of my pipes posting here.I check in w/ Knox and My-Pipes at least once a day but most of the pipes/tobacco action seems to be focused right here now.The new board seems to have it all,loyal and passionate posters from the old board,new folks with plenty of entusiasim behind their questions and you certainly CAN'T forget all those cool new smiley face icons on the left Very Happy

Best,
Dock
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
thomas james
Italian Stallion

PostSubject: Re: Knox News   Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:15 am

MB,

I thought there were only three musketeers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,who's the poseur?

tj
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Midnight Blues
Vinyl`meister

PostSubject: Re: Knox News   Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:16 am

There has to be something about this board and its group of merry men. How else can you explain Doc who is obviously a Red Sox fan and me a Yankees' fan since birth happily coexisting on this wonderful site! We even post our replies right next to one another....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Midnight Blues
Vinyl`meister

PostSubject: Re: Knox News   Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:19 am

thomas james wrote:
MB,

I thought there were only three musketeers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,who's the poseur?

tj

Tj, three musketeers is a candy bar.

As for the forth Musketeer, I think the man all the way to the right is Claudio Cavicchi...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dock
BoB's Team

PostSubject: Re: Knox News   Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:19 am

Midnight Blues wrote:
There has to be something about this board and its group of merry men. How else can you explain Doc who is obviously a Red Sox fan and me a Yankees' fan since birth happily coexisting on this wonderful site! We even post our replies right next to one another....

"Where would the sox be without the yanks?" "Where would the yanks be without the sox?"

NO Rivalry = NO FUN!!!!

God I Miss Baseball !!!!!!!!!!Crying or Very sad

Best,
Dock
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Knox News   Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:27 pm

I bounce around. I check multiple forums, usually each day. I am posting more here than anywhere.

The burden of dealing with registration of new members is on Steven. He gets on average 300+ requests each day. Mostly Spam crap. Potential new members requests could be getting lost in that mess. Especially if it's not done each day. I can easily see a thousand request waiting for him to deal with over just a few days.

Assistance has been offered. We'll see how it goes. The Internet communities are always changing and evolving.

I wish everyone the best. You guys know that.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

PostSubject: Re: Knox News   Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:19 pm

Carlos, you may want to suggest to Steven that he enable User Verification like we are using. It sends an email to the user that they must click on to activate. To my mind it's better than admin activation being they have to have a valid email address and have to do something. Bots and spammers won't do it and as an admin making the decision it's still a guess whether or not they are real. It does the burden on the end user but it's minimal. Out of our forty some users there were only a few that had issue, all of which we were able to resolve fairly easy. Especially now that I know how to do it.

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
gospelman

Registration date : 2007-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Knox News   Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:26 pm

I probably will continue to check (and post) on the Knox board when I can. I don't find it a real problem to visit/post on several boards. I also post on the Christianpipesmokers.net board, and they're a fine bunch of guys as well.

The Knox board is where I began to learn, after 25 years of pipe smoking, that there was a world of tobacco choices that I hadn't tried. The knowledge I gained there is incalculable. Since I live in the Knoxville area, I look forward to visiting the new physical store location. It's a really good store, and the guys there have always been friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful.

That said, I'm really glad this board is here. A lot of the old Knox posters are here, and some new folks too. To me, it's another fine web resource for us lovers of this wonderful pastime.

Mike
Back to top Go down
View user profile
showme1or2

Registration date : 2007-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Knox News   Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:50 pm

thomas james wrote:

Almost worth pm'n him our new address just to watch afro zap him.
tj

Why would Mike Brissett zap him?

Please, please, please don't pm him. He'll find his way over eventually in some incarnation or another. No
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gospelman

PostSubject: Re: Knox News   Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:09 pm

Well, I went down to Knox's store in the Old City today. I haven't been there since they made the move next door. I'm telling you, it's going to be good! Yes, they are still awaiting shipments on several tobaccos. I went to get a tin of Squadron Leader...they had none. But Jared pointed me to Commonwealth, another Sam Gawith offering, so I'm looking forward to trying it.

The really neat thing is the bar/restaurant they'll have next door. They already have the bar in place, and tables...I'm thinking it won't be long before there'll be a really cool gathering place for pipe/cigar enthusiasts to go to enjoy a pint and a smoke.

cheers

Mike
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: Freedom of piping   Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:36 pm

gospelman wrote:
...I'm thinking it won't be long before there'll be a really cool gathering place for pipe/cigar enthusiasts to go to enjoy a pint and a smoke.
Mike:

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked ...er, you mean a place where you can walk in off the street and hang out and smoke? Right in fronta God an' evvihboddih? affraid

Youse guys are lucky indeed. There is no such "crime" allowed in the People's Republic of Californicaty. When you stop and think about what that means...well, it's hard to find the handles on it, that's all. There was a time when the mere proposal of such a thing would have earned the disdain it so richly deserves. Now, the antis have divided and conquered to the point wherein our noble pastime has become quasi-criminalized.

Enjoy that liberty while you have it, amigo.

Vito jocolor
Back to top Go down
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Knox News   Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:49 pm

Vito wrote:
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked ...er, you mean a place where you can walk in off the street and hang out and smoke? Right in fronta God an' evvihboddih? affraid

Yep! With big, old glass windows, to look in an see the criminals in the act. Not sure what kind of eats they will also provide. But there is a pizza place across the street. And sandwiches also just a short walk down the street. I just love to see these old downtown areas full of businesses.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
showme1or2

Registration date : 2007-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Knox News   Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:09 pm

Carlos wrote:

Yep! With big, old glass windows, to look in an see the criminals in the act.

The windows have not been painted black yet, and the old-time speakeasy door hasn't been installed. Vito, Alfredo, or TJ: I think they are looking for someone with an Italian accent to stand outside in a long black coat and fedora. Cool

showme
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gospelman

PostSubject: Re: Knox News   Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:05 pm

Vito wrote:
gospelman wrote:
...I'm thinking it won't be long before there'll be a really cool gathering place for pipe/cigar enthusiasts to go to enjoy a pint and a smoke.
Mike:

Youse guys are lucky indeed. There is no such "crime" allowed in the People's Republic of Californicaty. When you stop and think about what that means...well, it's hard to find the handles on it, that's all. There was a time when the mere proposal of such a thing would have earned the disdain it so richly deserves. Now, the antis have divided and conquered to the point wherein our noble pastime has become quasi-criminalized.

Enjoy that liberty while you have it, amigo.

Vito jocolor

Vito, you have really hit on something there. That a man could actually be cited for lighting up. It boggles the mind that it has come to this. Yet, even in the great green state of Tennessee, where tobacco is a pretty big crop (or has been in the past) it is now illegal to smoke inside a business, unless said business is posted as 21 and over. That is how Knox will be able to get around the restriction. In fact, they already had a "21 and over only" sign on the door at the old location.

Which makes it impossible for me to take my 17 year old daughter to lunch when they open. She really enjoyed going to Knoxville Cigar Company...she thought it was "cool" and I agree. I believe she would have enjoyed accompanying Dad for a nice meal with some good company.

I'm really excited about the new shop, but believe me: I understand and deeply feel the frustration and general "pissed-offedness" that the anti's have wrought.

Mike
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipemaker

Registration date : 2007-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Knox News   Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:36 pm

Mark,

The old JRBB was the best board of any kind that I have ever been a part of.

No one ever got pi$$ed off over anything, it was great fun, and a great place to exchange information and opinions.

I've probably laughed harder on some of the chats there than I ever had in my life, and once CP arrived, we had someone who we could collectively focus our humorus efforts on.

This board gives every indication of becoming as good or better than the fondly remembered JRBB.

Mark, you and Yarnie were not responsible for it's demise.
The combination of trolling by the Cigar board guys and the heavy handed tactics of their new half wit moderator ultimately did it in.

Mike
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://my.execpc.com/~maddog92/Pipes2/pipes.html
Vito

PostSubject: Law of Attraction   Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:58 pm

showme1or2 wrote:
...Vito, Alfredo, or TJ: I think they are looking for someone with an Italian accent to stand outside in a long black coat and fedora...
showme:

Oh...so you want to attract people.

Vito jocolor
Back to top Go down

Knox News
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next