HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Vacation

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Milan

Registration date : 2011-03-17

PostSubject: Vacation   Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:51 pm

I'm heading down to Savannah next week for vacation. Any suggestions for places to visit in the general vicinity? I've been vacationing in Savannah during early spring and the Maine coast (Lubec) in the summer the past couple years. Where does everyone else like to vacation? Any leads on good tobacco shops between Ohio and Georgia will be rewarded with an emoticon.
Milan What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile
clueless

Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Vacation   Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:51 pm

It may be too close to home but I always stop at the Strauss Tobacconists in Florence, Ky. when I'm in the area. Their Private Stock is a nice English blend and they have a good mix of bulk and tinned choices and the best area pricing on pipe cleaners.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Vacation   Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:36 pm

Take a buggy ride.
Also, eat at Pearl's Elegant Pelican.
The riverfront (and Factor's Row) is really cool.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Milan

PostSubject: Re: Vacation   Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:38 pm

Thanks clueless and Hermit. An emoticon for each of you. pirat cat
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Vacation   Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:52 pm

The Knoxville Cigar Company was a universally beloved tobacco source at one time -- I think (?) they're still there, just not doing internet sales any more. Worth investigating.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Frost

Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Vacation   Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:30 pm

Dono 'bout pipe/tobacco stuff, but just walking around the city is beautifull enough in itself. Check out the squares...take a tour. Stay in a haunted hotel or a B&B. Saint Bonaventure cemetery is amazing for a walk (bring bugspray tho).

Riverfront is definitely where it's at. Just get a go cup, walk around with your beer, smoke a pipe, listen to the street musicians, buy a rose made out of bamboo reeds from a street vendor for a pretty lady, even if it's just your wife Laughing

stumble drunkenly back to the hotel...good times.

Go here for pecan pie: http://www.riverhouseseafood.com/

Wife and I visited for a week a year or two ago. We hope to live there someday.

Edit: my bad...just re-read and see you already know Savannah. Yet another waste of post space by me

Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Vacation   Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:06 pm

Frost wrote:

Edit: my bad...just re-read and see you already know Savannah. Yet another waste of post space by me

Laughing

Oops...me too. pale
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Vacation   Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:08 am

Are you going for the music festival? If you like Irish music, visit Kevin Barry's Pub on River Street. Live Irish music every evening

For historical items visit Wormsloe and Ft. Jackson. You've probably been to the better known and more visible Ft. Pulaski.

If you're a shotgunner, they may be having some competitions at the Forest City Gun Club, a world class range and the oldest gun club in the US.

For restaurants, I'd recommend Johnny Harris on Victory Dr. for barbecue pork, lamb or chicken. For steamed seafood, I'd recommend The Shell House at 204 and I-95. My wife and I usually split a steamed platter. You've probably been to the Pirate's House..good for a one time experience but not the food.

On the way down you might want to detour to see Carl Sandburg's home/National Historic site at Flat Rock, NC. Continue on US 25 to Greenville, SC and visit Boda Pipe's and cigars. They have a pretty good selection of pipes, tins and bulk. Also the BMW museum/plant between Greenville and Spartanburg offers tours. I believe they make all the world's Z-3s and X-5s there.

Good luck and have fun.

Jim...married 40 years to a Savannah native

Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Vacation   Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:19 am

We don't read.. but it usually works anyway.

What route you taking from Ohio to Sav, GA?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Milan

PostSubject: Re: Vacation   Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:15 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have done the traditional Savannnah stuff and love it. The squares, River St., Tybee Island, Bonaventure, etc... I'll be doing all of those again in some capacity. I mean, my favorite thing to do is to walk from square to square smoking cigars and/or a pipe. I appreciate the food recommendations. I did the Crab Shack last year and got eaten alive by sand gnats. I don't go for the music festival, but usually get there the last day. Seems pretty cool though. I will be traveling down 75 and then across the Smokies and down through NC and SC. Thanks again for all the information. Keep it coming.
Milan albino rendeer alien pig
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Vacation   Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:35 pm

One other thing I forgot to mention in Savannah...the state park nature center and University of Georgia Marine Extension Center on Skidaway Island.
(my wife says the Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum is worthwhile)

A nice drive down to Jekyll Island on Hwy. 17 (parallels I-95) might be a good diversion from Savannah. There are several forts and other historic sites on the way. Be sure to eat at Archie's in Darien. Jekyll Island was "developed" by a bunch of northern millionaires about 1900 and some of the original buildings are still there and available for tours.

Are you aware of Sherpa Guides website? Lotsa good info there. Sherpa Guides GA coast info

Okefenokee Swamp is a little too far for a day trip, but worth visiting some time.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Vacation   Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:12 pm

Yak wrote:
The Knoxville Cigar Company was a universally beloved tobacco source at one time -- I think (?) they're still there, just not doing internet sales any more. Worth investigating.

What a Face

Gone now. They packed it in.

But there is the Gatlinburlier in Gatlinburg, TN.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MartinH

Registration date : 2011-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Vacation   Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:00 pm

My used to play with the Charleston Symphony every summer, so I have a fondness for the city, but for true southern charm and history, nothing beats Savannah. This is probably to late.

One of the neatest places I've eaten in a while was Rue St. John in Charleston. Great burgers!

As for Savannah, we had a great, if funny ghost tour there.

Martin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.pipereviews.org

Vacation
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: