HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

On L. J. Peretti Blends

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
DAL

DAL

Registration date : 2011-03-21

On L. J. Peretti Blends Empty
PostSubject: On L. J. Peretti Blends   On L. J. Peretti Blends EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 6:31 pm

A short while ago I took a new job with offices in downtown Boston. I vaguely remember hearing of Peretti's; but, I had never visited the store until some feeble memory awoke and I thought to look them up on the intertubes. I was extremely pleased to discover the shop is only 2 blocks from my office building! The next available luncheon included a little field trip.

Others have described the store, and the shopkeepers employed there, far better than I might. I'll just say that I found the entire experience delightful and quintessential New England. Although the store itself is fun, that's not the real prize. I was tremendously impressed with the quality and variety of their tobacco offerings.

When I first started with the pipe (about 20 years ago) I began with every OTC brand I could find and had a difficult time finding anything I really liked. Eventually, some better tinned varieties found me and I settled on a fairly steady rotation of Mac Baren and Davidoff products and, rarely, some 1Q or Captain Black Royal when I wanted to "slum it". I would occasionally try a shop, here and there, with some bulks that didn't live up to what I expected. Most had some downright disgusting chemical aftertastes, just like so many of the OTC brands I wanted to avoid. I gave up searching.

The first day I visited Peretti's I decided I'd like to try an aromatic since it had be quite a while since I'd enjoyed one. The man behind the counter asked me what I liked and was visibly narrowing and refining his recommendation as I explained my tastes. I left with 1 oz. of Ebony.

It was an outstanding change of pace. Perhaps, all the more, since I'd been much more into the English styles over the previous year or two. But it wasn't just the aromatic flavor -- it was the quality of the tobacco and how much I enjoyed the entire bowl. It was a rare "Goldilocks just right" moment. Then the same thing happened on the second bowl, in a different pipe, the next evening. Now wait a second. That never happens to me!

At this point I've tried 11 of the Peretti blends and have been impressed with the quality of all of them. Of course, I like some much more than others, as some satisfy my tastes more than others. All of them, 11 out of 11, are very high quality tobaccos that can be enjoyed even if they are not purchases I am likely to repeat.

My top two, as of right now, are the aromatic Ebony and my most favorite, Cuban Mixture.

Here's hoping I can start a thread and stimulate some of the Brothers to comment about your favorite Peretti blends you would recommend, those to be avoided, experiences with consistency, favorites to cellar, and so forth.

I can't wait to read your comments!

-DAL

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: On L. J. Peretti Blends   On L. J. Peretti Blends EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 7:39 pm

It's weird how these things happen...I was digging in my cabinet this morning for a blend to talke along on my trio of effands, and came up with Peretti's Cuban Mixture, a blend of something like 6 or 7 tobaccos, suppoesedly their oldest blend (and that's saying something as they've been there a LONG time). I hadn't smoked it for months, but it was as I remembered, very different flavors weaving in and out, just delightfull.

Other than the Cuban Mixture, my favorites are the #333, a potent Burley blend, rather codger-like, cube cut and slow burning...and Blend 500, which they list as an English but is actually VA/Per/Oriental with Cigar Leaf.

I've never tried any of their aromatics or semi-aromatics, but if anyone would do a good job with these it would be them.

On a visit to Boston maybe 5 years ago I stopped into their Park Square joint and was treated very well, picked up a few of their blends after talking with their staff to hone down my selections, also snagged my first Prince from their store line of pipes...plus a tin of Solani Silver Flake. I puffed that Siver Flake in the Prince all over New York City, bypasing JR's store in Manhattan, knowing there was nothing in there I needed with that combo smoldering away. I still smoke that Prince regularly and it has never failed to do the job with a good flake.

I love places like Peretti's, a true American treasure.

On L. J. Peretti Blends D6bddf10On L. J. Peretti Blends 29400910On L. J. Peretti Blends 114e6110On L. J. Peretti Blends Ddb39b10On L. J. Peretti Blends Cf77ce10On L. J. Peretti Blends Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Carlos
Admin
Carlos

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: On L. J. Peretti Blends   On L. J. Peretti Blends EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 11:07 pm

I have enjoyed everything I have tried from them. Omega, Smith's Own, Park Square, DD, BPC, plus those already mentioned. Others I have forgotten the names of. I have quite a bit cellared.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LV9

LV9

Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: On L. J. Peretti Blends   On L. J. Peretti Blends EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 4:12 pm

Cuban Mixture, Sommerset Slices and their Thanksgiving Blend are a must try.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: On L. J. Peretti Blends   On L. J. Peretti Blends EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 9:33 pm

All their flakes are very nice. My favorites are Scottish Flake, Boston Slices, and Sommerset (which isn't listed on their web site, you have to ask for it, and be prepared for sticker shock!).

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DAL

DAL

PostSubject: Re: On L. J. Peretti Blends   On L. J. Peretti Blends EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 9:28 am

Many thanks for your recommendations. You've given me a few more to try.

-DAL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smoker99

Smoker99

Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: On L. J. Peretti Blends   On L. J. Peretti Blends EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 2:11 am

I have ordered from Perreti's and Uhle's, and both have high quality tobaccos. That said, sometimes their descriptions are not all that accurate. I ordered four tobaccos from Perreti's, including a pound of 333. I thought it sounded good as a pure burley. I was surprised to find it is topped/cased in chocolate. They don't say it is, but they don't say it isn't either. Uhle's is the same way, many they say are pure are cased.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gandalfpc

gandalfpc

Registration date : 2009-10-03

PostSubject: Re: On L. J. Peretti Blends   On L. J. Peretti Blends EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 2:11 am

Royal, Sommerset Flake, Cambridge Flake, BPC

Did I mention Royal?

All excellent
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: On L. J. Peretti Blends   On L. J. Peretti Blends EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 9:12 am

I'm going to just venture a guess that approximately 97.372% of all Burley blends are "cased" at some point in their production, either as a final blend or as a component. As I understand it Burley is about the most bland of tobaccos. Unless there was at least a sweetener and maybe a flavoring agent as well there would be very little there to attract one to it. My point is that many blenders, etc. say it's 'natural' so long as there's no heavy flavoring there. That being said, I've got a tub of 333 sitting right in front of my cabinet and don't detect all the much chocolate, cocoa or whatever. Different taste buds, etc.

On L. J. Peretti Blends D6bddf10On L. J. Peretti Blends 29400910On L. J. Peretti Blends 114e6110On L. J. Peretti Blends Ddb39b10On L. J. Peretti Blends Cf77ce10On L. J. Peretti Blends Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Smoker99

Smoker99

Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: On L. J. Peretti Blends   On L. J. Peretti Blends EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 4:03 am

Blackhorse wrote:
I'm going to just venture a guess that approximately 97.372% of all Burley blends are "cased" at some point in their production, either as a final blend or as a component. As I understand it Burley is about the most bland of tobaccos. Unless there was at least a sweetener and maybe a flavoring agent as well there would be very little there to attract one to it. My point is that many blenders, etc. say it's 'natural' so long as there's no heavy flavoring there. That being said, I've got a tub of 333 sitting right in front of my cabinet and don't detect all the much chocolate, cocoa or whatever. Different taste buds, etc.
Well, we agree on a couple points, most tobacco blends, including burlies, are cased. So far, C&D is the only seller of uncased burley I have found. I have doubted my own senses, and have asked a few friends to smell 333 and Uhle's Perfection, and they all said chocolate/mocha, and in fact one went so far as to say Perfection Plug smelled like a Hershey bar. As you say though, sensory perceptions are different. All I am asking for is tell me whats in it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: On L. J. Peretti Blends   On L. J. Peretti Blends EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 10:02 am

Peretti blends are by far the mainstay of my tobacco cellar. And I love the whole range of their mixtures. Get online and check out their selections which cover burley, oriental, and English mixtures all bended IN HOUSE. I am sure you will find some to your liking. Some of my favorites are Tashkent, Smith's Own, 9575, 333 and my favorite burley of them all BPC. These people KNOW TOBACCO.
Doc
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scottbtdmb

scottbtdmb

Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: On L. J. Peretti Blends   On L. J. Peretti Blends EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 2:56 pm

docwatson wrote:
Peretti blends are by far the mainstay of my tobacco cellar. And I love the whole range of their mixtures. Get online and check out their selections which cover burley, oriental, and English mixtures all bended IN HOUSE. I am sure you will find some to your liking. Some of my favorites are Tashkent, Smith's Own, 9575, 333 and my favorite burley of them all BPC. These people KNOW TOBACCO.
Doc

Yes indeed, I love me some Peretti pipe tobacco. This thread has reminded me of yet another blend I need to stock up on before the new law goes into effect May 1st banning tobacco shipment into Maryland. ROYAL BLEND!!! I must buy at least a pound or two sometime over the next few weeks. Tashkent is decent enough and I haven't head Smith's Own, but Royal Blend is one of the few English mixtures I have found that uses quality Yenidje. While I wouldn't rate it as high as Compton's Macedonian, for the price of Royal Blend compared to the 28.50 for 100 grams of Macedonian, you just can't beat Peretti's RB for the price and quality.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle

PostSubject: Re: On L. J. Peretti Blends   On L. J. Peretti Blends EmptySat May 21, 2011 6:34 pm

Cuban Mixture- oh my, yes! I will buy lots of this.

Cambridge Flake- initially thought "meh", but then I noticed the awesome sourness that lasts the whole bowl. Will buy again for that one spectacular note.

Royal Blend- "meh", and my opinion on this hasn't changed.

333- have not smoked it yet, but I have a date with a bowl tomorrow night.

Will go back for more Cuban Mixture, a little Cambridge Flake, and maybe see if they have some Somerset Slices too. Especially good for burleys, Peretti's is great.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cakeanddottle.com
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: On L. J. Peretti Blends   On L. J. Peretti Blends EmptySat May 21, 2011 7:12 pm

Very partial to 333 and Cuban mixture from Peretti's myself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle

PostSubject: Re: On L. J. Peretti Blends   On L. J. Peretti Blends EmptyMon May 23, 2011 1:39 pm

smoked 333 last night, and I got a definite floral, soapy casing. Called Peretti today, they say no casing.

On their Lat blends:

if someone who has tried these can chime in...I love the sour note of Cambridge Flake. Royal Blend left me cold. I called to ask them what to try and they said Smith's Own, and I am thinking Omega as well. What say you?
Back to top Go down
docwatson

docwatson

PostSubject: Re: On L. J. Peretti Blends   On L. J. Peretti Blends EmptyMon May 23, 2011 9:26 pm

Hey Cake,
I love the oriental tobacs in Royal. The finest Turkish to be had. But if you want Latakia go for Smith's Own , you won't be disappointed. I'm not familiar enough with Omega to give a comment.
Doc
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle

PostSubject: Re: On L. J. Peretti Blends   On L. J. Peretti Blends EmptyMon May 23, 2011 9:56 pm

I'm still a relatively new pipe smoker. Royal Blend didn't do it for me, but I really love Cambridge Flake's sour note. Is that the Oriental speaking?
Back to top Go down
tslots

tslots

Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: On L. J. Peretti Blends   On L. J. Peretti Blends EmptySat May 28, 2011 4:02 pm

Some of these sound interesting. I'll have to order a sampler sometime.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: On L. J. Peretti Blends   On L. J. Peretti Blends EmptySat May 28, 2011 4:38 pm

I'll second that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
mattia76

mattia76

Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: On L. J. Peretti Blends   On L. J. Peretti Blends EmptyMon May 30, 2011 12:49 am

At the May meeting of the Viking Pipe Club of St. Louis, a gentleman attending his first time brought giant tins of 333 and Park Square.
I ordered a pound of the Park Square as soon as I could.
Tremendous VaPer that's more multi-dimensional and robust than Anniversary Kake (my old standby).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

docwatson

PostSubject: Re: On L. J. Peretti Blends   On L. J. Peretti Blends EmptyMon May 30, 2011 8:45 am

Mattia,
Glad you enjoy the Park Square mixture. If you are looking for something a little more complex, with a touch of sweetness and great Turkish you will do well to try Tashkent. Definitely in my top selections for orientals.
Enjoy
Doc
Back to top Go down
View user profile
derlict311

derlict311

Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: I need a cellar   On L. J. Peretti Blends EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 10:59 pm

This is an excellent thread. Royal and Cuban seem like they are right up my alley. I have not tried Peretti at all but there seem to be a strong recommendation to do so. Now if I just had a cellar in my humble home...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

docwatson

PostSubject: Re: On L. J. Peretti Blends   On L. J. Peretti Blends EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 9:39 am

Hello Derlict,
You don't need a cellar. Peretti packs their tobaccos in old time paint cans and they will hold tobacco in perfect condition for years. I have pounds of their tobaccos that are in perfect condition after more than 10 years in the original tins!!!!! Just keep em in a stable environment.
Doc
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle

PostSubject: Re: On L. J. Peretti Blends   On L. J. Peretti Blends EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 9:54 am

I smoked a bowl of Omega last night and really enjoyed it. Need to smoke it more. So far I think I'll stick with Commonwealth for my full English, but Omega was more than enjoyable. I also rec'd samples of Tashkent and BPC and am going to try the BPC today.

The Royal Blend was, to me, an overly polite, lightweight English. Blend 333 was cased with something floral and put me off. However, I LOVE Cambridge Flake and Cuban Mixture. Their tobacco is very good, and when they get a blend right, they really get it right. I need to evaluate these samples I just got to see if they are worth adding to the rotation, and then I need to try Somerset and Scottish Flake. As their English blends go, they tend to the mild side, so order Omega if you like it full. Cambridge Flake is pretty mellow, but it has an incredible sourness to it that made me fall for it with the first bowl.

Love Peretti's and they are definitely one of my go-to blenders.
Back to top Go down
derlict311

derlict311

Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: On L. J. Peretti Blends   On L. J. Peretti Blends EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 3:15 pm

docwatson wrote:
Hello Derlict,
You don't need a cellar. Peretti packs their tobaccos in old time paint cans and they will hold tobacco in perfect condition for years. I have pounds of their tobaccos that are in perfect condition after more than 10 years in the original tins!!!!! Just keep em in a stable environment.
Doc

Paint cans? Nice tip, thank you. So with bulk would you use paint cans with Ziplocks or what?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

On L. J. Peretti Blends
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: