HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Biotene? whats so special about it?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
SouthernPiper

Registration date : 2011-03-28

PostSubject: Biotene? whats so special about it?   Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:25 pm

OK, so basically what I've gathered is that pipe smoking and biotene mouthwash are meant for each other. What I don't understand is WHY scratch . Are there any benefits other than curing dry-mouth? Does it help with tongue bite, or keep your teeth from staining any better than, say, a bottle of crest or listerine?

Another question, the bottle makes me think it would have a taste similar to buckley's cough syrup. Is this a safe assumption or am I way off?

Side note, if you don't know what buckley's is, I would recommend looking it up on youtube for a good laugh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
forsooth

Registration date : 2011-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Biotene? whats so special about it?   Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:36 pm

My opinion -- Biotene is unique in that it has a comforting, soothing effect in the mouth. It is thicker and sweeter than other non-alcohol mouthwashes. It is not sickeningly sweet, but rather is pleasantly tasty, IMHO. It doesn't react caustically on the tongue after a smoke.

It is also about twice as expensive as Crest and many other name-brand non-alcohol mouthwashes. I would say that it is worth trying out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Schmitzbitz

Registration date : 2011-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Biotene? whats so special about it?   Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:08 pm

Fortunately, Biotene doesn't taste anything like Buckley's...it is about the same viscosity, however. I found the price point to be the real kicker - up here, I haven't found a bottle under $15, and strangely enough, Sensodyne seems to have the same effect, albeit the liquid isn't quite as thick, and its about 1/3 of the cost.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
forsooth

Registration date : 2011-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Biotene? whats so special about it?   Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:29 pm

Good to know about Sensodyne -- I'll give it a go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Biotene? whats so special about it?   Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:32 am

I started using Biotene about a month ago, and I am getting very impressive results.

I never get a chemical tongue bite, but occasionally I will get a steam bite. Biotene somehow soothes the condition, and within 24 hrs. my tongue is almost back to normal, even when smoking a couple bowls during the healing time.

As for the cost, it is not expensive at all, considering the instruction is to only use a tablespoon which is about a third the volume of mouthwash I was using in another brand.

As for the taste, it seems like a mild peppermint, with a light syrup consistency.

Also, it seems to keep gum disease in check very effectively compared to other mouthwashes I have used in the past.

I give it two thumbs up, and highly recommend it to my brothers of the briar. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Biotene? whats so special about it?   Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:50 am

Good thread to stumble upon. The "Crest Pro Health" line makes fantastic toothpastes, but their mouthwash is some powerful stuff--if you don't like it, you won't use it, and I don't care for it.

I'm going to give this Biotene stuff a try for an "after pipe" cleaning. Thanks!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lestrade

Registration date : 2011-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Biotene? whats so special about it?   Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:49 pm

Picked up some Biotene today to give it a try.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Biotene? whats so special about it?   Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:06 pm

I went through a big bottle of it, waste of time and money for me, YMMV. Learning to smoke slowly made more difference than anything else.

Biotene? whats so special about it?
Page 1 of 1