HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

My First Pipe

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nosenhoj

Registration date : 2011-01-06

PostSubject: My First Pipe   Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:15 pm

I wonder how many of the brothers remember their first Pipe, and how they came by it?

"I Remember it well" Kaywoodie rusticated billard. Purchased it in 1959, Marine Corps Air Station, Kaneohe Bay Hawaii, Post Exchange.

"There's a story behind every Bowl"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CLRV

Registration date : 2010-12-29

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe   Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:20 pm

First pipe I ever bought was in Florence, Italy. I went into this tiny little shop and picked out whatever I thought looked good at the time. Pretty girls working in the shop, summer in Italy, feeling terribly grown up at the solid age of 17.

Then I lost the pipe because I didn't smoke for years; had a terrible first experience with taste. And a pretty girl's encouragement only goes as far as the shop door. lol.

The first pipe to start my current collection was a Pete bent apple, st. patricks 2003. A gift from my mother.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puffy

Registration date : 2007-12-23

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe   Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:45 pm

1971 Churchills Limited That's a smoke shop in Ann Arbor Michigan.At least it was back then.I don't know if it's there now.I paid $25 for a Savinelli Hercules.That was a good bit of money in those days for someone who was making 4 bucks an hour at the time. The pipe had 8 sides and a rectangular shank.Later I got rid of it because it was big and heavy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe   Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:56 am

Many years ago I walked uptown from school on my lunch hour to the drugstore and bought a Kaywoodie,,small billiard,,,,I think it was 8 bucks,,,,I was fifteen,, The guy threw in a pouch of Paladin black cherry telling me "this is what gentlemen smoke",,,, lol!

smoked the hell outta that pipe,,,forgot and left it in the glove compartment when I traded cars a couple years later,,,

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe   Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:26 pm

My first pipe was a Dr. Grabow that I purchased from Rite Aid at the corner of Jefferson and Corporate in Baton Rouge, LA, home sweet home. At the time it only cost $24 plus tax. I smoked it for a few weeks before I started expanding my collection...

I enjoyed smoking it for about a year longer, then, having acquired much nicer and better smoking pipes, I gifted it to a friend who was considering picking up the hobby. I no longer know where it resides, but wherever it is I like to think that it's bringing someone a great deal of pleasure.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
SouthernPiper

Registration date : 2011-03-28

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe   Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:32 pm

Dr Grabow Savoy. first pipe tobacco was middleton's apple
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frost

Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe   Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:22 pm

This was my first pipe:

As to how I came by it, my wife and I were for some reason that I can no longer recall out shopping for something completely unrelated to pipes. For no particular reason I decided that would be the day I bought a pipe. Went to a nearby tobacco shop, said to the owner "I'd like to buy a pipe but I don't know anything about pipes." He showed me their stock...some cobs, "Savinelli seconds", a few overpriced Petes, some random makes that nobody has ever heard of, and then a few no name basket pipes like mine. At that time, I was surprised that there even was such a thing as a pipe that cost more than $20.

I picked this one out of the basket, for unknown reasons. Smoked alot of really bad tobacco in it before finding this site, probably while in search of ways to improve my mad pipe smoking skillz but again, I don't recall exactly. I'm still not entirely sure to this day what drew me to this pipe in particular (it is kinda ugly...lol) or pipes in general for that matter.

But damn does this ugly sucker smoke well...I don't know if I have ever cleaned it. If so it was only once. I've smoked just about every type of tobacco in it, but still just about every time I smoke it I get a good bowl. It's got a bit that is cut better and more comfortable than any Sav, Pete or Stanwell I have seen. Light as a feather and cool as a cucumber. If all else fails and I don't know where to turn, this is the pipe I reach for.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smoker99

Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe   Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:30 am

A Grabow and a tin of MacB Plumcake in about 1968. That combo put me off pipe smoking for about three years until I got up the nerve to try it again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nosenhoj

Registration date : 2011-01-06

PostSubject: My First Pipe   Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:00 am

Hey Frost;
based on my observation, I think that you did a decent job of picking a first Pipe.
That pipe IMO has a graceful classic shape, and personally I think that you,like so many other smokers, make their choice based on visiual apeal, at the time.And as you have discovered over time, what that pipe looks like, or how much it
cost,has nothing to do with how it smokes. The statement that you made regarding the bit,is noteworthy. Not many of us can grow to love a pipe if it does not feel
right in the mouth. Two other points. I think it is a good looking pipe, And you have kept in great shape. cheers cheers cheers

"There's a Story behind every bowl"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gospelman

Registration date : 2007-12-20

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe   Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:47 am

My first pipe was a no name basket pipe purchased maybe 35 years ago at a store called the Clock and Pipe Gallery in West Town Mall, Knoxville. The store is no longer there, but the pipe is still in regular rotation. It smokes great, and as Frost said about his, has had all kinds of tobacco in it.

Mike
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mac

Registration date : 2011-03-27

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe   Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:32 am

I just happened to find my first pipe when going through some stuff recently. A very small Dr. Grabow Duke billiard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.boamac.com
ua_piper

Registration date : 2009-12-02

PostSubject: Re: My First Pipe   Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:50 am

My first pipe purchase actually coincides with the weekend I proposed to my now wife. It was a Gatlinburlier Churchwarden that smokes ok and I still get it out on occasion. We also purchased her first pipe that same day, a little mini-churchwarden that looks cool but smokes hot. Since then we've picked up 2 Peterson's for her and I've added an old Ben Wade/Preben Holm Freehand, a Sav 2008 CE, and a couple of Pete's including my new pride and joy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

My First Pipe
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: