HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Greetings from Snowdonia, North Wales (UK)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
latakiahaze

Registration date : 2011-04-23

PostSubject: Greetings from Snowdonia, North Wales (UK)   Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:44 am

Hi Guys,

Duncan here from beautiful Snowdonia in North wales. Just found this great site.
I'm a latakia nut but have been known to smoke other baccies, including aromatics. I've got about thirty pipes and have been enjoying the wonders of the briar for many years. Like many of us, I guess, I'm always fidling about trying find that "perfect" Platonic mix of pipe and tobacco - I expect the real pleasure lies in the searching Very Happy
I'm currently enjoying an estate Tanzanian Kiko with meershaum lining (found on Ebay) filled with Commonwealth mixture (there's the latakia again rabbit ).
Must admit after all these years I'm still a tad greedy and smoke too fast sometimes: hence I find meershaum lined Falcon pipes quite handy - they clean out quickly and you can smoke them again straight away. Against that I've also got some nice Peterson's for those more mellow moments.
Hope to contribute here often.

Cheers,

Duncan. jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Snowdonia, North Wales (UK)   Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:15 am

Howdy and welcome from the other side of the pond!

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CLRV

Registration date : 2010-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Snowdonia, North Wales (UK)   Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:25 am

Welcome! I have family in Wales still I believe (Reese surname). Beautiful country.

In any case, enjoy your stay here at BoB.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Snowdonia, North Wales (UK)   Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:19 pm

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Snowdonia, North Wales (UK)   Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:23 pm

Hey there! Welcome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flytyer

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Snowdonia, North Wales (UK)   Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:22 am

Welcome to BoB !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Snowdonia, North Wales (UK)   Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:56 pm

Welcome, Duncan.

By the by, are Sam Gawith tobaccos has hard to get over there as they here in the States?

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RealtorFrank

Registration date : 2010-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Snowdonia, North Wales (UK)   Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm

Welcome to the forum Duncan!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.franksellsnashville.com/
latakiahaze

PostSubject: Speciality tobacconists hard to find   Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:22 am

Thanks guys. Natch: Sam Gawith's not too hard to find at speciality online tobacconists here - regretfully most of the good high street tobacconists have now shut up shop Sad There's a good one called "Lands" in Stratford-upon-Avon (Shakespeare country) which I intend to visit next weekend. Love the "floral" lakeland blends - though I know they're not everyone's cup of tea. Only downside here is the price: 500g tin costs about 20 ($32?) - silly money really especially if you're into experimenting with new blends, as I am. Also the days of free samples seem to be a thing of the past. My wife is planning a trip home to WV for Thanksgiving - I'm hoping she can stock up on some US blends as I really want to give "Frog Morton" and others a go. Hope she can get it all through customs pirat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
latakiahaze

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Snowdonia, North Wales (UK)   Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:27 am

latakiahaze wrote:
Thanks guys. Natch: Sam Gawith's not too hard to find at speciality online tobacconists here - regretfully most of the good high street tobacconists have now shut up shop Sad There's a good one called "Lands" in Stratford-upon-Avon (Shakespeare country) which I intend to visit next weekend. Love the "floral" lakeland blends - though I know they're not everyone's cup of tea. Only downside here is the price: 500g tin costs about 20 ($32?) - silly money really especially if you're into experimenting with new blends, as I am. Also the days of free samples seem to be a thing of the past. My wife is planning a trip home to WV for Thanksgiving - I'm hoping she can stock up on some US blends as I really want to give "Frog Morton" and others a go. Hope she can get it all through customs pirat
I should say $32 for 50g (not 500g!). The latter might be quite good value.... Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
seawarrior

Registration date : 2011-04-20

PostSubject: Welcome   Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:30 am

Pull up your favorite chair and smoke... share some time my friend for you are in good company. I recently spent some time in the town of Chester, England... very interesting place for sure. Welcome again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
portasio

Registration date : 2011-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Snowdonia, North Wales (UK)   Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:18 pm

welcome duncan! good to have you here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dynabytes.com
latakiahaze

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Snowdonia, North Wales (UK)   Fri May 06, 2011 5:29 pm

latakiahaze wrote:
latakiahaze wrote:
I should say $32 for 50g (not 500g!). The latter might be quite good value.... Shocked

Let's get this right, that's $32 Embarassed for 100g. One day I'll even get my maths right......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Snowdonia, North Wales (UK)   Sun May 08, 2011 9:55 pm

Duncan, in my dozen or more sojourns to the UK over the years I've visited the Snowdonia region once or twice. It's a magical place and no mistake. I'd have to ferret out my trip logs to tell you where I've been there. Suffice to say I was suitably impressed!

You live in a very picturesque area, but there again you don't me to tell you that mate!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
latakiahaze

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Snowdonia, North Wales (UK)   Wed May 11, 2011 11:52 am

Brewdude wrote:
Duncan, in my dozen or more sojourns to the UK over the years I've visited the Snowdonia region once or twice. It's a magical place and no mistake. I'd have to ferret out my trip logs to tell you where I've been there. Suffice to say I was suitably impressed!

You live in a very picturesque area, but there again you don't me to tell you that mate!

Cheers,

RR

RR, yes we're right up in the mountains - great walking country and nearly a mile of free fishing (sea trout and salmon - though I have yet to catch any jocolor ). A stormy day, a languid stroll with a pipe - it doesn't get much better than that Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metropolmodern

Registration date : 2011-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Snowdonia, North Wales (UK)   Thu May 12, 2011 11:54 am

Welcome to BoB! I saw that monster Tanzanian Kiko on eBay a little while back. How does it smoke? Is it really as big as they made it out to be?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/metropolismodern
latakiahaze

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Snowdonia, North Wales (UK)   Sun May 15, 2011 11:53 pm

Metropolmodern wrote:
Welcome to BoB! I saw that monster Tanzanian Kiko on eBay a little while back. How does it smoke? Is it really as big as they made it out to be?

Hi, and thanks for the welcome Very Happy Not sure if it was the same Kiko you saw on Ebay, since I've actually aquired quite a few over the years. I find they all smoke well and have no problems at all with the African meershaum's (in fact they are becoming some of my favourite pipes). I'll try and take some pics and put them up here.
Duncan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Greetings from Snowdonia, North Wales (UK)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Welcome Wagon-
Jump to: