HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Bulldog Pics

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Harlock999

avatar

Location : Los Angeles
Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Bulldog Pics   Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:31 am



Last edited by Harlock999 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland



Age : 29
Location : South Carolina
Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Bulldog Pics   Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:48 pm

cheers cheers cheers

There's no doubt about it; that pipe is going to be as good of a smoker as it is beautiful. Another quite worthy doggie in an outstanding collection!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

avatar

Location : Western Maryland
Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Bulldog Pics   Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:09 pm

Ah, love that new Cavicchi. A smooth Cavicchi dog like that is exactly what I'm looking for as well, I can see why you didn't pass it up. They are still reasonably priced. I've never owned a Cavicchi, are you pleased how it smokes?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

avatar

Age : 33
Location : Durham, NC
Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Bulldog Pics   Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:41 pm

This thread is great! I'm a big fan of bulldogs and rhodesians and apparently I'm not the only one!

Harlock, it looks like you've got some beauties that have yet to be baptized. Y'know what they say, it ain't a pipe 'till it's been smoked!

Here are two of my favorites in my collection. They're both a touch dirty, but I like to say they're loved.

Radice FFF Clear Rhodesian:






Bjarne C Grade Freehand Rhodesian:





Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
dshpipes

avatar

Age : 33
Location : Durham, NC
Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Bulldog Pics   Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:56 pm

Also thought I'd toss in a tid bit that I saw mentioned earlier.

My understanding is that Bjarne's signature series (high grades) were all made by Ph. Vigen shortly after 1991. I haven't found anything to say that for certain, but I've found no one else listed as a maker of the Bjarne signature series.

Ph. Vigen info:

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Ph._Vigen
http://www.finepipes.com/articles/danish-pipes.html <-- All the way at the bottom

Both of these sites offer essentially the same info... almost verbatim. The latter is the only one that mentions that Vigen worked for Bjarne. Also, it is clear that the latter hasn't been updated since before 2008.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
riff raff

avatar

Location : Western Maryland
Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Bulldog Pics   Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:12 pm

Those two are also lovely uberhuberMan! Interesting info on the Bjarne signature piece.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

avatar

Location : Los Angeles
Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Bulldog Pics   Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:18 am

riff raff wrote:
Ah, love that new Cavicchi. A smooth Cavicchi dog like that is exactly what I'm looking for as well, I can see why you didn't pass it up. They are still reasonably priced. I've never owned a Cavicchi, are you pleased how it smokes?

Well, I'm waiting to open a new tin before I fire it up, which should happen in a week or two, but the pipe has a wide open draw, the fit and finish are easily equal to Castello, and the hand feel is very inviting. May be tough to clench, as it's a heavy-ish piece, but I'm a holder anyway.

Quote :
This thread is great! I'm a big fan of bulldogs and rhodesians and apparently I'm not the only one!

Hey Uber, those are some jealousy inducing pipes! I like the Bjarne the best, but both are killer.
Those graded Bj's are just not easy to find. Great shape on yours, and nice pics as well, thanks! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

avatar

Age : 33
Location : Durham, NC
Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Bulldog Pics   Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:13 am

riff raff wrote:
Those two are also lovely uberhuberMan! Interesting info on the Bjarne signature piece.
Harlock999 wrote:
Hey Uber, those are some jealousy inducing pipes! I like the Bjarne the best, but both are killer.
Those graded Bj's are just not easy to find. Great shape on yours, and nice pics as well, thanks! cheers

Thanks fellas! The Bjarne has to be my absolute favorite pipe in my collection. I always keep an eye peeled for Bjarne Signatures, but I've rarely seen one that tickled my fancy. I did find this though:

http://pipesandcigars.com/bjpiofplbr.html

Unfortunately, they're much more pricey that what I paid for mine. Of course, I got mine used, so that helped. I'm putting money aside to hopefully snap up the remaining rhodesians on that page in an attempt at a 7 day set of the shape. Unfortunately, even with the pipes from this page included in my collection, I'd still need to dig up another. There's the one rhodesian that is very close to this shape, but doesn't have the vertical line that the others do. I'm back and forth on whether I would include that one. Brothers, keep your eyes open for me!

All that being said, there are a ton of other great Signatures on that page. Have at(just save the rhodies for me, please)!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
dshpipes

avatar

Age : 33
Location : Durham, NC
Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Bulldog Pics   Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:21 am

Oh yeah. There's also this Bjarne A Grade Sitter. It's pretty sweet, but not for me. Thought I'd let you folks know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
KevinP

avatar

Registration date : 2011-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Bulldog Pics   Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:18 pm

UberHuberMan wrote:
Oh yeah. There's also this Bjarne A Grade Sitter. It's pretty sweet, but not for me. Thought I'd let you folks know.

That one is nice, no argument there. But the seller's use of the term 'straight grain' is rather liberal, isn't it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

avatar

Location : Western Maryland
Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Bulldog Pics   Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:31 pm

Those Bjarne Nielsens are lovely. I can see the attraction and there won't be any more. This AX is lovely, good luck getting all those Rhodesians!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

avatar

Age : 33
Location : Durham, NC
Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Bulldog Pics   Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:23 am

KevinP wrote:
UberHuberMan wrote:
Oh yeah. There's also this Bjarne A Grade Sitter. It's pretty sweet, but not for me. Thought I'd let you folks know.

That one is nice, no argument there. But the seller's use of the term 'straight grain' is rather liberal, isn't it?

Too true!

riff raff wrote:
Those Bjarne Nielsens are lovely. I can see the attraction and there won't be any more. This AX is lovely, good luck getting all those Rhodesians!

They also smoke incredibly well. What else would one expect from Ph. Vigen? He did graduate from the school of Former after all.

Thanks for the well wishes! Acquiring them all is still a ways down the road. I just hope that I'm lucky enough for them all to still be there when I'm ready! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Harlock999

avatar

Location : Los Angeles
Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Bulldog Pics   Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:11 pm



Last edited by Harlock999 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frost

avatar

Age : 39
Location : Somewhere near Philly, PA
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Bulldog Pics   Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:27 pm

Tough to read the makers stamp on that one on my little ipod screen. Who is it?

Regardless, its astounding. If you die before i do, can i have it? I'll let you have my first orn child if you want. Lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

avatar

Age : 56
Location : Atlanta-ish
Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Bulldog Pics   Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:30 pm

*


Last edited by Simple Man on Thu May 03, 2012 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Dutch

avatar

Age : 52
Location : On the road.......
Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Bulldog Pics   Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:34 pm

Frost wrote:
Tough to read the makers stamp on that one on my little ipod screen. Who is it?

Regardless, its astounding. If you die before i do, can i have it? I'll let you have my first orn child if you want. Lol.

Looks like the legendary Bjarne Nielsen's mark. A fine addition to anyone's collection, I don't care who you are! Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

avatar

Location : Los Angeles
Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Bulldog Pics   Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:44 pm

Dutch wrote:
Frost wrote:
Tough to read the makers stamp on that one on my little ipod screen. Who is it?

Regardless, its astounding. If you die before i do, can i have it? I'll let you have my first orn child if you want. Lol.

Looks like the legendary Bjarne Nielsen's mark. A fine addition to anyone's collection, I don't care who you are! Cool

Good eyes!
Bjarne it is, this one's a "C" grade. Makes me really wonder about the "B", "A" and "AX" grades... Shocked

And Frost, I've got you earmarked for the chicken foot pipe in my will, but if this one floats your boat, I do allow for substitutions Cool .

@Simple Man:
Thank you! But have you seen the chicken foot pipe...?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frost

avatar

Age : 39
Location : Somewhere near Philly, PA
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Bulldog Pics   Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:47 pm

Ah yes, forgot about the chicken foot. It was rather epic. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

avatar

Age : 56
Location : Atlanta-ish
Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Bulldog Pics   Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:48 pm

*


Last edited by Simple Man on Thu May 03, 2012 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Dutch

avatar

Age : 52
Location : On the road.......
Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Bulldog Pics   Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:50 pm

Harlock, I'm curious, is there any way to know if Tonni Nielsen carved that bulldog? His pipes are bringing some high prices nowdays.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

avatar

Location : Los Angeles
Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Bulldog Pics   Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:51 pm

Simple Man wrote:
Harlock999 wrote:

@Simple Man:
Thank you! But have you seen the chicken foot pipe...?

Yes I have... Shocked

EDIT: Harlock's got some really good taste in briars... except for the chicken foot! Laughing

Cheers, gentlemen! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

avatar

Location : Los Angeles
Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Bulldog Pics   Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:56 pm

Dutch wrote:
Harlock, I'm curious, is there any way to know if Tonni Nielsen carved that bulldog? His pipes are bringing some high prices nowdays.

You know, it's often mentioned that P.H. Viggen of W.O.Larsen carved all of the nicer Bjarne's, but the stem button on this one looks nothing like the bit on the Bjarne "D" grade I posted a few months ago. So, using the theory that a carver's bit is like a "signature", these two would seem to have been made by different individuals. I've never owned a Tonni pipe, so I can't compare...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

avatar

Age : 52
Location : On the road.......
Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Bulldog Pics   Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:17 pm

Harlock999 wrote:
Dutch wrote:
Harlock, I'm curious, is there any way to know if Tonni Nielsen carved that bulldog? His pipes are bringing some high prices nowdays.

You know, it's often mentioned that P.H. Viggen of W.O.Larsen carved all of the nicer Bjarne's, but the stem button on this one looks nothing like the bit on the Bjarne "D" grade I posted a few months ago. So, using the theory that a carver's bit is like a "signature", these two would seem to have been made by different individuals. I've never owned a Tonni pipe, so I can't compare...

He seems to keep some visibility on the pipe show circuit. I'm sure if you could catch him at a show out on the West Coast, he would recognize his own work in an instant. Might even recognize the craftsmanship, even if it were not his own.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

avatar

Location : Los Angeles
Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Bulldog Pics   Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:24 pm

Dutch wrote:
Harlock999 wrote:
Dutch wrote:
Harlock, I'm curious, is there any way to know if Tonni Nielsen carved that bulldog? His pipes are bringing some high prices nowdays.

You know, it's often mentioned that P.H. Viggen of W.O.Larsen carved all of the nicer Bjarne's, but the stem button on this one looks nothing like the bit on the Bjarne "D" grade I posted a few months ago. So, using the theory that a carver's bit is like a "signature", these two would seem to have been made by different individuals. I've never owned a Tonni pipe, so I can't compare...

He seems to keep some visibility on the pipe show circuit. I'm sure if you could catch him at a show out on the West Coast, he would recognize his own work in an instant. Might even recognize the craftsmanship, even if it were not his own.

Yeah, he was at the last Vegas show in November. I'll have to remember to ask him if he carved any of the Bjarne's if he makes the next show.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

avatar

Age : 52
Location : On the road.......
Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Bulldog Pics   Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:28 pm

I believe he did carve some of the Bjarne high grades. Take a look at this link-

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Bjarne
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Bulldog Pics
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Paul Ryan Big-Game Hunting Pics are making the moonbats bark.....
» New Random Pics
» shader pack pics
» News Pics and More...
» Pics management help needed ( a question about outside image links ) PunBB.

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Photo Gallery-
Jump to: